My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Gravel driveway - £9k !!!

32 replies

EezyOozy · 26/02/2024 21:29

Hello all,

i’m currently getting quotes for a gravel driveway to be renewed.

It’s a mixture of mud and various grass at the moment, with a few potholes. It all needs scraping out and redoing.

I had somebody round today to do a quote and it was £9000! It’s about 100 m² of drive, in a rectangle shape.

I had another quote a couple of days ago that was nearly £6000.

The difference between the two of seems to be that the higher quote allowed for a whacker plated sub base layer and also included skip hire. And said 2-3 men for two weeks…..

The cheaper quote omitted skip hire and just included a weed membrane under the gravel. And said 2 men got 5 days.

I naively thought it might be about £3000….

Im in rural Scotland , now where near a city …. Not a high expensive place to live.

Would people mind sharing what they have paid ? Any advice welcomed.

OP posts:
takemeawayagain · 26/02/2024 21:31

Jesus everything has just got so ridiculously expensive. Sorry I can't be more help, I'm so sick of it though.

EezyOozy · 26/02/2024 21:33

Me too @takemeawayagain

I also need some double glazed units replacing in some timber frames and have been quoted several thousand for that as well……

OP posts:
Scarletttulips · 26/02/2024 21:33

The builders still have projects going - it won’t be long before they dry up and building work will be fought over - hold back and wait

EezyOozy · 26/02/2024 21:34

@Scarletttulips do you really think so? Do you think they are inflating the prices at the moment, but will lower than when they realise that people cannot pay ? I hope so otherwise I have no idea I am going to make the repair as I need to do on my home!

OP posts:
Soontobe60 · 26/02/2024 21:36

Ask them for a breakdown of the quote - specifically the materials they intend to use with costings. Then you can ring round other suppliers to see if you can get the materials at a better price.

AnEmbarrasmentofWitches · 26/02/2024 21:37

Find someone who does farm tracks. Buy a shit tonne of gravel from them and shovel it yourself.

we did our drive and courtyard over one summer with 6 tonnes of gravel - cost about £600. Still looks great 3 years later.

LillyLeaf · 26/02/2024 21:37

It crazy isn't it. We need our patio and drive replacing and I'm dreading the crazy quotes. Just seems impossible. Are people actually paying these huge prices?

Hteng · 26/02/2024 21:43

Depending on exactly where you are as it would effect the cost of both muck away and hauling stone in, also access to the site and the finish stone you want will have a big bearing on the cost. I would say both are on the high side though, without seeing the job in person if we could get in with at least a 3.5ton digger and get access for tipper lorries it would be no where near your quote.

EezyOozy · 26/02/2024 21:46

@Hteng thanks, access is very easy. It’s right of the Main Street of our village. We asked for Yorkshire cream gravel, so maybe that has pushed it up a bit but still… I’m just going to have to keep getting quotes.

If I didn’t have two small children and a demanding job and a husband that worked all the hours God sends i would hire a digger and try and do it myself !

OP posts:
Startingagainandagain · 26/02/2024 21:47

Eventually people like this will just drive themselves out of business.

EezyOozy · 26/02/2024 21:47

@LillyLeaf I was thinking the same!

OP posts:
fartyklart · 26/02/2024 21:52

Don't skimp and omit the sub base. We had an even higher quote so did it ourselves. Including all the edging. It took sooo long (at least a year as materials cost so much so we did it in stages and DH had a v demanding job.) And probably didn't end up saving much money.☹️ it's lovely now though!

Hteng · 26/02/2024 21:53

EezyOozy · 26/02/2024 21:46

@Hteng thanks, access is very easy. It’s right of the Main Street of our village. We asked for Yorkshire cream gravel, so maybe that has pushed it up a bit but still… I’m just going to have to keep getting quotes.

If I didn’t have two small children and a demanding job and a husband that worked all the hours God sends i would hire a digger and try and do it myself !

That's a reasonably priced stone but not ridiculous, I'd ask for a breakdown of costs showing how deep they're excavating, how deep the sub-base is and how deep the topping stone is. What kind of edge finish were you getting and where they supplying it?

Hteng · 26/02/2024 21:54

Oh and hiring a digger and having a go might seem like a good idea and is often actually quite fun, making a decent job isn't as easy as some make it look.

Backwiththeillbehaviour · 26/02/2024 21:59

We have a shingle drive , if you live near Suffolk you can have it all for free. I'd love to grass it over.

mitogoshi · 26/02/2024 21:59

I would suggest scraping back the loose gravel, layer of membrane (comes on rolls, don't forget the pegs to hold it down) then get gravel delivered and rack it out, if you don't have time yourself, find a local handyman you can hire for a couple of days

Meridienne · 26/02/2024 22:00

Admittedly about 4 years ago now but also rural Scotland I spent 2-3 days spreading about 15 tonnes of chukkies that I got delivered and tipped. Used wheelbarrow, shovel and rake. Before that I had gradually evened out the ground best I could. I didn’t bother with weed membrane or a hardcore base. Both tasks were real Backbreaking work but I’m a bit shocked at the amount of labour time you’re being quoted, though I suppose it depends how perfect you want it to be. Re weeds I use roundup in a knapsack a few times over the summer which isn’t too expensive. I’d ask for a breakdown and shop around.

Lonelycrab · 26/02/2024 22:10

That works out at nearly £100 per square meter, for some gravel on the ground. Seems somewhat excessive.

rwalker · 26/02/2024 22:14

Weed membrane is basically that black sheeting on sub base for drainage and stability sounds like a complete bodge would look great at first but wouldn’t last long

Namechangerinamanger · 26/02/2024 22:16

My husband block paved ours himself years ago and it’s still great

User19798 · 26/02/2024 22:21

That's mad! Mine is stone sets laid absolutely beautifully by a master crafts man. A bit bigger, not much. He also did a wall and gate. That was £8.5K 18months ago.

EezyOozy · 26/02/2024 22:23

Wow @User19798
that puts it into perspective somewhat!

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Lonelycrab · 26/02/2024 22:28

Sad fact is there aren’t the people available anymore that will do the work at a reasonable price, so those that can do it, frankly charge extremely high rates. A certain something happened a few years back to make this now the reality. 

Dm needed 35 ft of close board fencing. Quotes were around the 1.5k-2k mark. 

So I did it for her. Materials £350 delivered from a local fencing wholesaler. Took me 2 days and I’m not fencing expert, but it came out great.. Do the maths.

A friend also just had a quote for a small patio, very similar to one I had done for 3k a few years back. Quoted 7k now. 

Another (well off) friend just had a wet room installed at a cost of 25k. When I did the breakdown, it was coming out at 4-500 per day for labour.

It is what it is, but there’s no denying that trades, because there is far more work available than the workers to do it, are charging extremely high prices now.

Hteng · 26/02/2024 22:28

I'd think we'd be around £3500-4000 if access is as good as you say and you're not absolutely in the middle of no where, also wouldn't be 2 weeks.

HoundHound · 26/02/2024 22:36

I'm pretty sure weed membrane would tear up pretty quickly on a driveway

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.