My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

10 replies

propteytsuff · 26/02/2024 19:46

is 500k enough for a full house refurbishment plus extension we live in a 4-bedroom 2 living room 1 large dining room 1 and a conservatory the large one is 2 stories high and very large and it is starting to rot both of the house every bedroom has an ensuite apart from 1 which is upstairs but right beside a toilet outside the door so easy to make it ensuite i did the maths for the kitchen we are thinking about going with Gaggenau or mile with Gaggenau around 100k for the kitchen and 50k with mie. I want the kitchen to be the staple piece of the house and new house furniture linen sofas tables a clean sheet of paper i would like an ultra-modern bathroom with free standing marble bathtub marble everything is clad in marble and the extension will be large but not crazy large is this enough. we live in West Lothian in the countryside. we need some sort of direction with this please help thanks for reading

also need some help Miele or Gaggenau price doesn't really matter

OP posts:

Miele or Gaggenau

3 votes. Final results.

POLL
Gaggenau
67%
Miele
33%
ClematisBlue49 · 26/02/2024 22:44

I voted Miele as it is cheaper, and their appliances are great quality in my experience, but TBH it still sounds like a lot. Your plans sound very extensive and you are obviously aiming for a very high spec. I would just caution that, while that amount might well be sufficient, it needs to be viewed in the context of the value of the house. For example, spending £100K on a kitchen in a 4 bedroom house in Scotland may be out of proportion, so you'd need to be sure that it's your forever home, as you're unlikely to get back more than a fraction of what you are spending if you ever came to sell, IMO.

Best of luck with it, whatever you decide.

NonmagicMike · 27/02/2024 08:17

I count two full stops in that - difficult to understand the question, but 500k on updating a house in West Lothian? Is that not more than the place is worth? I mean, yes, 500k is enough to bulldoze a house and rebuild it, but unless you’re in some sort of grade 1 listed palace then I’d have to question what the point is?

housethatbuiltme · 27/02/2024 10:04

NonmagicMike · 27/02/2024 08:17

I count two full stops in that - difficult to understand the question, but 500k on updating a house in West Lothian? Is that not more than the place is worth? I mean, yes, 500k is enough to bulldoze a house and rebuild it, but unless you’re in some sort of grade 1 listed palace then I’d have to question what the point is?

Yeah I'm pretty sure insurance said it would only cost 400k to completely rebuild ours from scratch.

If you watched 'the great house giveaway' they do it for 10-20k (granted they beg and borrow and DIY) but its pretty hard to imagine it costing half a million.

Even with a big extension and all professionals doing the work I struggle to think it could be over £250k.

And is it worth it... for that price you might as well just move to a bigger house.

propteytsuff · 27/02/2024 11:05

where we live it's between Bathgate and Linlithgow it is an "upper class" area I am not going to say exactly where it is but my neighbour's house is a quiet smoothing mansion that house is valued at 5 million our house is around 2 and a half so yes our house is worth a lot but we got it around 32 years ago so its a lot of work like is aga I 20 year old are Miele fridge is 30 so yes it does need a lot of work we lived in Shanghai for a while with Gaggenau everything we loved it so we wanted to try it again

I wanted the kitchen to look like this

OP posts:
Stevie77 · 27/02/2024 11:12

Then price it up, I'm not sure why you're asking on a forum. Unless you're a (grammatically challenged) journalist fishing for a piece 🤔

Crazymadchickenlady · 27/02/2024 11:20

After doing our kitchen I would first look for a qualified kitchen designer that you are happy with and see what they suggest. Ours was great and they used an amazing computer program that let us practically walk through what our new kitchen would look like. They then organised all the builders, electricians, kitchen fitters and decorators. In the end we went with a German kitchen from Pronorm and Neff appliances. They charged 20% on top of the trades but it was worth it. The designer had great ideas that we would never have thought of on how to design the space to fit our needs.

Mum5net · 27/02/2024 11:26

Recommend kitchen design place in Uddingston called Palazzo who do high end German kitchens in your budget as had friend who got one.

Saz12 · 27/02/2024 20:56

Extension, £200k, you reckon kitchen will be £100k, 3 ensuites and a bathroom - im guessing theres another £70k, 3 bedrooms and stairs & landing say £30k, rewire, replaster, upgrade insulation and heating system another £30k, then add on something for the living rooms (say £20k?), dining room (£10k? - flooring, mtm curtains, new furniture)... that brings you to £460k already. Add in the conservatory (replace roof, new flooring, redecorate, new furniture), some windows to replace, a contingency .... suddenly £500k disappears.

Ive no idea how high end a finish you want, and I've no clue how much marble baths and the like cost. You need to budget it out properly unless money really is absolutely no object.

GoldenTea · 27/02/2024 21:30

We're fully renovating a 5 bed including loft and basement conversion but no increase in volume or extension. It will cost about 600k+ and we're not going for fancy kitchen or marble baths etc. It's a full back to brick job and we're not living there (are you moving out?). If yours is more cosmetic for the non structural changes it's feasible for that price . That said given we're not extending I think your budget might be tight.

Renocrazy · 27/02/2024 21:32

500 excl vat. So realistically if you want a 100k kitchen plus high end finishes I'd be looking at £650k+

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.