My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Potters Bar thoughts?

4 replies

Willow1882 · 25/02/2024 20:01

Hi everyone,

First off, this site has been such a goldmine. Read through loads of threads over the past six months and got loads of insight so thank you!

My partner and I are looking to move. Budget of up to £800k; looking for 3 beds+; no kids (yet). We're considering anywhere in North London + South Herts incl. Potters Bar.

We've visited Potters Bar and first impression is it's okay but not amazing. Would like to live in an area with (1) green spaces, (2) nice cafes (cafe culture) to pop in to and (3) fast commute to Soho and Bank/London Bridge. Potters Bar seems to have 1 and 3 but not sure about 2.

Potters Bar isn't the prettiest at first glance so unsure if that's clouding my judgement so keen to get views of people who have first hand experiences of living in and around the area + any recommendations for other areas.

Thanks

OP posts:
catswithbowties · 25/02/2024 23:22

Potters Bar is ok but I agree, I don't think it has that cafe culture you're wanting.

If you want to stay in North London, for your budget you'll be able to find options in Whetstone (Northern line from Totteridge & Whetstone), Cockfosters (Piccadilly line), Palmers Green (rail to Moorgate with Finsbury Park along the way so can change to tube, also depending on what side of PG there's Bounds Green on Piccadilly too), maybe East Finchley (Northern line).

Slightly less cafe culture but still fine IMO are High Barnet (Northern line), North Finchley (Woodside Park on Northern line), Enfield Chase (same rail as Palmers Green, or Overground Weaver line to Liverpool Street from Enfield Town).

Willow1882 · 26/02/2024 14:12

Thank you - that's really helpful

OP posts:
Stopwiththedamnrain · 26/02/2024 14:29

Potters Bar has a lot of extended 1930s bungalows with big gardens, is close to transport links and the countryside, has a theatre, but isn't a cafe culture type of town. Maybe Cockfosters, West Hampstead, Barnet, or Enfield might have more of that vibe youre looking for?

Willow1882 · 26/02/2024 21:02

Yes, must say I'm being tempted by the big gardens and space.

To be fair, cafe culture is lower on the list. Perhaps I should spend a whole day in PB exploring and getting a better feel for the place

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.