My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Combo boiler

6 replies

Cotswoldmama · 25/02/2024 11:07

Hello, we currently have a back boiler in our fireplace which is amazing and reliable but we are looking to replace it with a combo boiler as we need to get new radiators and redo our kitchen and bathroom. It also is behind a hideous old 70s looking gas fire which we'd like to get rid of. If anyone could share how much they paid for going from back boiler to combi that would be really helpful. Also please share a photo of your boiler and where it is. We're limited on where we can put it and are hoping to hid it in a cupboard. Either in our tiny kitchen or maybe in our dining room.
Thanks in advance!

OP posts:
blackcatsyeah · 25/02/2024 11:17

Watching with interest as we are looking to do similar.

Tupster · 25/02/2024 11:43

I did this about 13 years ago, so my cost probably won't be any help to you at all, but I paid about 5k which included replacing all the radiators as well (large 3-bed) as the boiler. My boiler moved to a utility room, so it's loud and proud on the wall, not neatly hidden away. It does come with quite a lot of clutter around it - there's a magnaclean, which I think is standard kit (it's a red canister) and you need access to the valves to top up the boiler so there's quite a lot to hide in a cupboard.

One thing to beware of is that moving the boiler to an entirely new position means a lot of pipework has to be rerouted under the floors upstairs. As I recall it didn't phase the plumbers or make the cost particularly extreme, but it did make the job quite chaotic to live with, and plumber aren't the best at relaying any carpet they've pulled up to get to the floorboards.

FrogFairy · 25/02/2024 11:51

My parents did this last summer.
They paid almost £4k and the new boiler was fitted upstairs in the cupboard that previously housed the hot water tank.

Cotswoldmama · 25/02/2024 12:08

Tupster · 25/02/2024 11:43

I did this about 13 years ago, so my cost probably won't be any help to you at all, but I paid about 5k which included replacing all the radiators as well (large 3-bed) as the boiler. My boiler moved to a utility room, so it's loud and proud on the wall, not neatly hidden away. It does come with quite a lot of clutter around it - there's a magnaclean, which I think is standard kit (it's a red canister) and you need access to the valves to top up the boiler so there's quite a lot to hide in a cupboard.

One thing to beware of is that moving the boiler to an entirely new position means a lot of pipework has to be rerouted under the floors upstairs. As I recall it didn't phase the plumbers or make the cost particularly extreme, but it did make the job quite chaotic to live with, and plumber aren't the best at relaying any carpet they've pulled up to get to the floorboards.

Thanks that's really helpful

OP posts:
Cotswoldmama · 25/02/2024 12:09

FrogFairy · 25/02/2024 11:51

My parents did this last summer.
They paid almost £4k and the new boiler was fitted upstairs in the cupboard that previously housed the hot water tank.

This is one of our options I think except it seems that the cupboard in our bathroom has been built around the hot water tank!

OP posts:
Snugbug123 · 26/02/2024 19:36

We got a quote for £4-5k for the same in London a couple of months ago so that seems the right ballpark. One thing we were warned about is you can be left with a bit of hole in the wall when they take out the back boiler so might need to think what you want to do there. We're thinking reinstalling a decorative fireplace which might be another £1k+

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.