My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Bathroom Installer meant to be starting on Monday but no contract/deposit/materials chosen.

21 replies

farley123 · 14/02/2024 18:51

Haven't had anything like this done before so wondering if this is normal.

I am meant to be having a whole new bathroom installed next week (supply and fit), but am concerned about my chosen installer.

He has loads of great reviews online so should be okay, but how can he be expecting to start ripping out my bathroom on Monday when I haven't chosen anything (bath, sink, toilet, electric shower, radiator, tiles, flooring).

I had a couple of people out to quote and he seemed fine. Gave a very round number on his quote (but so did the others) - was expecting for figures to be refined at time of choosing fittings and agreeing contract. I will be at work while the job is being done so would be trusting him with a key to my house.

I haven't signed anything or paid a deposit (or heard from him since last week when he gave date). Am fully expecting him to just ghost me (and tbh I think I would be quite relieved if he did).

Now I've written this I feel like a right numpty - it's not right is it?

OP posts:
ClematisBlue49 · 14/02/2024 19:41

If you are replacing more or less like for like, then the job is essentially the same for him, whatever fittings you choose. Be prepared for him to expect you to make decisions quickly once he gets started.

I wouldn't expect to have to pay a deposit up front before choosing fittings, and you don't always get a contract - the quote is the key document (although it may say 'estimate', meaning that it will vary if something unexpected arises, or you choose expensive fittings, for example).

If you are having second thoughts and haven't signed anything, you could cancel the job if you feel uncomfortable. Were the reviews on Check a Trade or similar? Usually it's better to go with a personal recommendation if possible. Equally though, it could well turn out fine and he just hasn't contacted you because he's busy and he assumes it's all agreed for him to start on Monday.

dancinginthewind · 14/02/2024 19:47

Is he expecting you to supply everything?
When we had our bathrooms done recently, I discussed with the bathroom chap what I wanted doing, he quoted, gave me a start date and then I went to bathroom showrooms & had everything delivered from the bath to the toilet roll holder to the tiles to the lighting. He turned up on the agreed day and got on with fitting it.

skuml · 14/02/2024 20:12

I am currently doing bathroom and I would suggest to first let him come and discuss your plans in details and check the dimensions of toilet, basin with him.
Ask him about all the hidden stuff too - which pipes he is going to use? copper or other?
Plaster board or plyboard? Which cistern - access option to repair or change cistern in future. try to gauge his knowledge and will he go above and beyond to do the good job or will he cut corners!

It is important to hire right person than "at right price"!
Please interview him nicely and also perhaps go and see the job he has done recently. I just fired bathroom fitter as I just dint like the way he was doing piping etc. thankfully I was able to spot the mistake as i have done another from scratch!
My fitter was recommended by local plumbing shop! I can never trust a fitter from online !

Check everything before you agree to proceed!

skuml · 14/02/2024 20:16

Also, want to mention -- choose your basin, toilet, tiles etc
otherwise you will have to everything ins rush! unless you have already shortlisted! We have to choose so much in rush - and so much stress!
I would just choose items then discuss with plumber if items are ok. then would order. When you know lead time of everything then only start the work!

Lead time of some items is 3-4 weeks such as good Italian tiles,
one of my sink will be delivered only after 4-6 weeks! thanksfully I am not living in this flat so I am ok!!

ClematisBlue49 · 14/02/2024 20:35

Just to add that the fitter will probably have a trade account with a particular supplier(s). If so it may make sense to let him order the items to get the trade discount, and you then pay the invoice. That's what happened with my current renovation.

I agree with @skuml that it's better not to choose everything in a rush, but it sounds like the OP may have no choice.

farley123 · 15/02/2024 19:40

Thanks clematis and skuml for your replies. You've both been really helpful Will be speaking to fitter tomorrow and hopefully will be going ahead next week if the conversation goes well.

OP posts:
ClematisBlue49 · 15/02/2024 19:45

You're welcome @farley123 , good luck and let us know how you get on speaking to the fitter tomorrow.

VeniVidiWeeWee · 15/02/2024 20:25

Thanks clematis and skuml for your replies. You've both been really helpful Will be speaking to fitter tomorrow and hopefully will be going ahead next week if the conversation goes well.

Well, if you don't go ahead prepare to be taken to court.

The fitter has a contract with you.

justasking111 · 15/02/2024 20:29

I can't get past the fact that you haven't chosen anything yet. All he can do is remove everything, then he's stuck.

I hope you have another bathroom

Beingwithagroupogblokes · 15/02/2024 20:37

VeniVidiWeeWee · 15/02/2024 20:25

Well, if you don't go ahead prepare to be taken to court.

The fitter has a contract with you.

She hasn't signed anything yet though.

I find it hard to believe you (OP) haven't asked him? I think he's assuming you've ordered it all and it's on site tbh.

Lead times can be weeks, really hope not in your case and yes hope you have two bathrooms!

Beingwithagroupogblokes · 15/02/2024 20:38

justasking111 · 15/02/2024 20:29

I can't get past the fact that you haven't chosen anything yet. All he can do is remove everything, then he's stuck.

I hope you have another bathroom

Yes the pulling out bit doesn't take long!

Beingwithagroupogblokes · 15/02/2024 20:39

Have you not even looked at anything yet, chosen tiles etc? Takes quite a while to make a decision as you're replacing everything. Don't you have bathroom brochures or looked on line?

Ginandjuice57884 · 15/02/2024 22:48

Unless you want standard fittings for everything you need to discuss with him what you actually want. The tiles and flooring will be done afterwards so that's not a huge deal not being chosen yet. Depending on what's to be done you'll need a first fix and second fix. You can expect to be without a bathroom for a while depending on what his skill set is i.e. whether any of the work needs subcontractors. If it does that will usually mean more waiting, as other people aren't usually available on a whim.

VeniVidiWeeWee · 16/02/2024 19:47

Beingwithagroupogblokes · 15/02/2024 20:37

She hasn't signed anything yet though.

I find it hard to believe you (OP) haven't asked him? I think he's assuming you've ordered it all and it's on site tbh.

Lead times can be weeks, really hope not in your case and yes hope you have two bathrooms!

She doesn't need to. Verbal contracts are enforceable.

taxguru · 16/02/2024 19:56

Does his quoted price include the materials, fixtures & fittings etc? If he thinks he's coming Monday to do it, I suspect he's just working on a "labour only" basis and will expect you to have already bought everything for him to fit.

Unless you're wanting "bog standard" stuff from big box warehouses, most bathroom showrooms won't have things in stock and there may be delays in getting your stuff delivered.

The last thing you want to happen is for this guy to come Monday and rip it all out, only to have nothing to put back in during the rest of the week!

skuml · 23/02/2024 21:32

Wondering how is your bathroom refurbishment going?

BlueMongoose · 24/02/2024 19:59

VeniVidiWeeWee · 16/02/2024 19:47

She doesn't need to. Verbal contracts are enforceable.

Verbal contracts are enforceable. But if he has still not made contact to discuss/ find out about the fittings, you might reasonably assume he wasn't coming. I think it's very strange he hasn't been in touch long before this. If he was expecting the OP to order things to be delivered, that should have been agreed.

farley123 · 26/02/2024 22:41

skuml · 23/02/2024 21:32

Wondering how is your bathroom refurbishment going?

I am starting again from scratch. The fitter who was meant to be coming last week was going to be doing the whole room, top to bottom, supply and fit. He was expecting to do the whole job based on his initial visit to quote, without measuring anything and without offering me any choice beforehand of what actually went in. He was surprised that I was not happy with that.

Lesson learned to not rely on the well known review sites when choosing a tradesperson.

OP posts:
Twiglets1 · 27/02/2024 06:42

For someone doing a first new bathroom I would start somewhere like Easy Bathrooms. Let them do you a plan including coming out to measure up and cost it out using their bathroom stuff.

You can always subsequently go elsewhere but it’s a good place to start to get an idea of what will fit in your bathroom and what will look good and how much it is likely to cost. They can provide an installation service if you want or you can find your own fitter.

ClematisBlue49 · 27/02/2024 07:52

I used Easy Bathrooms for my new place. The quality is very good and they can measure and plan as @Twiglets1 says above. Bear in mind that if you go direct to them you are likely to end up paying more unless there is a sale on. I used a builder and got the trade discount through them, which was substantial.

skuml · 27/02/2024 20:33

farley123 · 26/02/2024 22:41

I am starting again from scratch. The fitter who was meant to be coming last week was going to be doing the whole room, top to bottom, supply and fit. He was expecting to do the whole job based on his initial visit to quote, without measuring anything and without offering me any choice beforehand of what actually went in. He was surprised that I was not happy with that.

Lesson learned to not rely on the well known review sites when choosing a tradesperson.

that's good you realized and dint go forward!!

I am in middle of bathroom refurbishment..even though I have done it earlier but this one has been headache - first plumber then, restrictions of soil pipe etc causing so many plans to change! Been so stressful few days !

you are better off! I would do bathroom only when it "really" needs doing. Plus with advance planning and detailed discussions with plumber !

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.