My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

Moving at Christmas??!!

96 replies

ditzzy · 24/11/2023 07:25

After about a year on the market I’ve finally found myself in a nice short chain (my buyer has a first time buyer, my seller has already left to retire abroad) so the legal work has gone much faster than I expected!

One of the agents called me yesterday to ask whether I wanted to complete before or after Christmas (exchange is apparently expected mid-December now). When the offers were flying around I didn’t ever think Christmas would be possible!!

I’ve moved plenty of times before but this is the first time with children (Dd1 is 8, Dd2 is 4). Moving at Christmas will be a nightmare won’t it? They’re already nagging to get the tree out here…. But Christmas in the new house would be a lovely way to start a new era……

Any stories to help me decide?

OP posts:
Autumn1990 · 24/11/2023 07:27

I’d do it before Christmas otherwise you’ll be packing and surrounded by boxes. At least you can can the house sorted out over the holidays.

DustyLee123 · 24/11/2023 07:27

I’d buy them a tiny tree for their bedrooms, and then get moving.

DaisyDoor · 24/11/2023 07:28

I’d do it before Christmas as long as you’re happy with a slightly rough and ready Christmas. No reason it won’t be lovely- having the tree up surrounded by packing boxes is quite romantic.

ditzzy · 24/11/2023 07:31

DustyLee123 · 24/11/2023 07:27

I’d buy them a tiny tree for their bedrooms, and then get moving.

That’s a brilliant idea! They also have houseplants they can decorate as trees.

Thanks!

OP posts:
ditzzy · 24/11/2023 07:32

DaisyDoor · 24/11/2023 07:28

I’d do it before Christmas as long as you’re happy with a slightly rough and ready Christmas. No reason it won’t be lovely- having the tree up surrounded by packing boxes is quite romantic.

Thank you - yes, my Christmases are always a bit rough and ready anyway 🤣

OP posts:
Haveyouseenthemuffinman · 24/11/2023 07:33

Moved on the 20th with three children, one of whom was only a few weeks old. They knew that if the living / dining room was clear of boxes by the end of the 21st we would get a tree up. And we did!

didnt have a traditional Christmas dinner, had precooked and frozen something nice, but there were 9 of us for Boxing Day. Food order was pre booked for arrival on the 22nd.

only thing I would say was that it was quite tricky getting a removal van then, so tentatively get that booked in before agreeing to a completion date. We managed to get one, but the people moving out of our house didn’t, and we live in a fairly built up area.

Ladypugs60 · 24/11/2023 07:33

We once moved house on the 23rd December ( complete with a dusting of snow!) The house needed a total refurb, and our 4 year old DS was poorly.
We stuck a little tree up and had Christmas lunch at my parents, we survived and had some lovely Christmases in that house.

savoycabbage · 24/11/2023 07:34

I've moved twice right before Christmas. It's good I think, exciting.

Moving before the school holidays is always good once your children are old enough to be of any use with unpacking again.

RagzRebooted · 24/11/2023 07:35

I'd go before, rather than have the worry of something going wrong hanging over me all Christmas! I'd rather be in, in a mess of boxes.

VanWeezer · 24/11/2023 07:38

My only advice would be don't do it the Friday before Christmas.

I moved before Christmas a few years ago. As they had so many people moving (solicitors /banks) ours didn't go through on the day, so ended up moving 2 days before Christmas.

It was actually okay. First time using the oven was for Christmas dinner. Chaos but fun. It's much easier getting things out of boxes than in them.

Then used the time over Christmas to unpack properly. Go for it!

ditzzy · 24/11/2023 07:42

Lots of positive stories! Thank you

I spoke to the first removal company yesterday and they have a five man team available in the week before Christmas (as well as afterwards) so hopefully I’m chasing that up early enough.

My local best friend is also going away just after Christmas and she always helps so much with everything that I was almost wondering if I was timing it around her availability.

OP posts:
HurdyGurdy19 · 24/11/2023 07:45

Go before. Even if it is a disaster, in future, when you're enjoying wonderful Christmases, you'll be able to look back and laugh at it. And the children will be so impressed that Santa found their new house.

A friend moved into her house on Christmas Eve, with their four children. She was extremely organised, boxes all clearly marked with which room they had to go in, and a list of contents stuck to the outside. Each child was given tasks, and she said they were straight by the time the children went to bed.

(Unlike us. We've still got unpacked boxes in the loft from when we moved in over 30 years ago 😃)

Ohdearwhatnow4 · 24/11/2023 07:46

Moved straight after Xmas with young children, never again. They opened their presents like new bratz dolls but all their old bratz dolls and house were packed. Had to take tree down boxing day to pack. Would rather move right before than after. Kids cope if Xmas Dinner not all fresh and you can get some lovely prepared stuff. We also never had much food in as fridge/freezers and cupboards were run down for move.

DCINightingale · 24/11/2023 07:49

Another vote for before. We moved mid December with our then 1 yo son. Although the actual moving day was the usual mega stressful event, that weekend was lovely. My parents came to help and we prioritised getting the lounge unpacked and the decorations up. It felt very special to be setting up for christmas in our new home.

Good luck, I hope it all goes through smoothly

Twiglets1 · 24/11/2023 07:50

I’ve moved just before Christmas before and it was ok. You need to check the last day your solicitor is working before the Christmas break though.

Quite honestly, If I had a choice in the matter I would choose to Exchange in mid December and Complete in early/mid January

Paddleboarder · 24/11/2023 07:52

We moved mid December. I remember having to pack and hide the Christmas presents! Lots of boxes still unpacked but we managed to keep them in one room. The kids were really excited to be in the new house and as long as you can mostly sort the living room it’s fine.

ACynicalDad · 24/11/2023 07:53

I’d do it if I had 2 or 3 working days before Christmas incase you have any nightmares.

WhamBamThankU · 24/11/2023 07:57

Knives on the 23rd december 6 years ago. As long as someone watches the kids you're fine!

ConflictedCheetah · 24/11/2023 08:00

We moved just before Christmas two years ago. The children also had to move schools so they actually started in their new school for 4 days and had a chance to meet everyone and engage in class Christmas parties etc so starting properly in January wasn't so scary. Worked well for us!

BrimfulOfMash · 24/11/2023 08:07

I moved just before Christmas… and had SIL and BIL come and stay a couple of days later! And was working f/t.

I had all the presents bought and wrapped. We used the removal company’s packing service (this was the lifesaver), the Dc went straight to a friends house for tea after school on moving day so we could get as organised as possible before bed.

Our company provided boxes and collected them again once emptied and returned to their ‘flat’ state. Which was good as they take up a lot of space.

GOODCAT · 24/11/2023 08:09

We moved just before Christmas. It made it a lot easier as we could finish off getting organised in our new home over the Christmas break.

Flubadubba · 24/11/2023 08:13

Definitely avoid Fri 22nd this year, in case something goes wrong (Xmas is Monday). Otherwise, I would crack on!

Definitely use the packing service to make your life less stressful (and maybe the service some offer for putting things back together if it's reasonable...).

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Isthisreasonable · 24/11/2023 08:19

Definitely before. IME once you have confirmation of the move you just want to get on with it. Xmas at the new place may be disorganised but you've got time to get sorted afterwards. Plus the dc will be very focused on their new toys.

Waiting till afterwards you'll just be spending Xmas distracted by the need to get packed. Or you've started packing and then need stuff that you've packed.

If you can afford it using the removal company's packing service would take loads of the stress off. You can concentrate on Xmas prep in the run up to the move to make it easier at the other end. Although it's unnerving not being packed and ready to go it would mean that the dc have access to all their things until the day of the move which is another bonus. Just keep the tea and coffee coming for the packers (and let them use your loo)

MinnieMountain · 24/11/2023 08:27

My employer has 20th December as our last day for completions. I wouldn’t do it after that.

boomtickhouse · 24/11/2023 08:30

Before is better than after! You'll be in chaos either way but way worse to be stuck in limbo and knowing the hard work is still to come.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.