Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

First impressions of this house

TheCanyon · 23/09/2022 21:39

Can anyone tell me their first impressions of this house

hastingslegal.co.uk/property/sunnyside-eden-road-west-end-gordon/

Close family fember has set their heart on it, I understand there's an issue with the chimney stack letting in damp.

Appears to be some thermodynamic water heating system which we've never heard of, which makes sense due to the chimney issue/fire being disconnected from the back burner (sorry, i dunno it's name but that's what we called it as kids pulling the coal fire grate thingy forward or back to heat water) has been disconnected.

OP's posts:
Please
or

tiersta · 23/09/2022 21:44

Looks Beautiful! At such an amazing price could buyer put some money towards any repairs/upgrades?

Please
or

Rufffles · 23/09/2022 21:45

First impressions (and I clicked on the link deliberately before reading the rest of your post which presumably says a bit about your own thoughts on the property - I didn't want those to influence me!)

• Amazing views
  • Doesn't look in any way cosy
  • Bathroom would need doing straight away
Please
or

ISeeTheLight · 23/09/2022 21:47

How old is it? Is it solid wall? If so what plaster and pointing has been used, as if if can't breathe there's a big risk of damp until that all gets rectified (and it sounds like there already is a damp issue).

Please
or

HairyFeline · 23/09/2022 21:51

As it’s an 1870 stone built property damp and ventilation are key things to note details of. On the major plus side it isn’t rendered, so walls can ‘breathe’ even though it looks plastered inside. Doesn’t look half bad! The back boiler being off isn’t a major issue so long as the alternative is effective.

Please
or

PPPPlease · 23/09/2022 21:52

Energy efficiency rating G!

Its lovely but the storage heater looking things are ugly
downstairs bathroom
kitchen ceiling looks like there’s an issue?
It’s on a junction so there would be cars idling at all times waiting to pull out and the garden is so open you may as well be sat at a verge in a Tesco car park.

Please
or

parietal · 23/09/2022 21:57

Could be lovely if you spent another £100k fixing everything. Heating, insulation, floors, garden, kitchen & bathrooms. Maybe over £100k

Please
or

Hotandbothereds · 23/09/2022 21:58

Looks nice, lovely location & views any major issues will get picked up on the survey and it’s a great price.

Please
or

senua · 23/09/2022 21:58

The whole village looks depressing. Stone and not much else. No trees, little greenery. Are there any amenities apart from the Church?
I can actually feel the wind from Siberia whipping in over that flat landscape.

Please
or

MrJi · 23/09/2022 22:02

I love the views, and it looks light, and is very well priced. Seems a good buy.

Please
or

Battybonkers · 23/09/2022 22:24

Lovely views and pretty from the outside but….

• looks like it’ll need quite a bit of work to make it cosy
  • dislike downstairs bathroom - this would be a real Pain in the arse for anyone needing to use bathroom in the night (young kids, pregnant women or older men!)
  • downstairs doesn’t look like it flows very well: walking to the kitchen from the living room to make a cuppa and back again looks like a bit of trek especially if there is furniture to walk around in the dining room.

wouldn’t be one for me - but everyone is different!
Please
or

Birch01 · Yesterday 10:11

the barn being so unfinished with exposed stone already makes me shiver 🤣 this house would be absolutely freezing, buyer would need a lot of £££ to get this liveable over winter and it’s a bad time to be so reliant on heating!

it’s very cute but I think the hidden costs with this one could be humongous (I expect that’s why it is so cheap)

Please
or

YesitsBess · Yesterday 10:15

I’d be looking if there’s applications for planning on the surrounding fields.

Please
or

Sago1 · Yesterday 10:29

Looking at the floor plan the potential is good, the biggest problem will be retaining 3 bedrooms upstairs and finding room for a bathroom.
Ideally the barn would knock through to the kitchen a create a big open plan living dining kitchen, perhaps if a 3rd bedroom is required it could be put downstairs.
I would guess rewiring and new heating would be necessary.

Please
or

cestlavielife · Yesterday 10:37

If they have 100k to spend on it or more could be lovely

Please
or

C4tastrophe · Yesterday 11:09

On a Cross roads, no privacy, efficiency G, doesn’t appear to even have a supermarket in the village.
I wouldn’t buy it.

Please
or

PigsInBlanketyBlankets · Yesterday 11:12

Money pit

Please
or

HairyMothballs · Yesterday 11:13

It looks gorgeous from the outside.
The views are great.
The kitchen units would need ripping out and replacing. The ceiling needs plastering.
The fireplace in the living room needs taking out.
I don't like the heaters in the rooms.

Please
or

havetochangethis · Yesterday 12:59

I'd definitely be having a good look at the home report, but it has masses of potential and is not far from good towns like Kelso and Melrose. The key thing would be changing the heating as storage heaters cost a fortune.

Please
or

FuzzyPuffling · Yesterday 13:03

First impression - it's SO CHEAP!!!

Please
or

vjg13 · Yesterday 13:06

With the system in Scotland of offers over, what is it the likely amount that they would actually pay. What percentage over are you expected to pay usually?

Please
or

Cherms · Yesterday 14:13

Looks solidly built, at an amazing price with amazing views. I love it!

Please
or

nicknamehelp · Yesterday 14:43

Very dated so would also be thinking it probably needs a total rewire and electric upgrade along with new heating system. Roof probably needs replacing or repairing. Windows may need replacing. That's before kitchen and bathroom plus total redec and carpet. So a lot of work and expense hence guide price.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?