Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Question for plumbers - toilet blocking.

buggeringbuggery · 23/09/2022 21:39

We've had a problem with our toilet, it started last Friday. It wouldn't drain (it was not blocked from the toilet), and the bath and sink wouldn't drain. If we turned on the sink, the toilet would bubble and sewerage would come out in bath.

It was fixed by someone rodding the toilet stack from the roof.

It happened again a couple of days ago. Again same fix, but said they'd have to investigate further (it was night again).

Yesterday they came, put a camera down the stack (couldn't do it from manhole as there was a steep step or something).

They noticed some concrete and grout in the stack where the toilet entered into it, which limescale had built up on. They tried rodding it, but in the end had to jet it to get it off.

They said that the pipe was nice and clean, so no more problems.

It was fine yesterday, but tonight, when I flushed the toilet, it is again draining very slowly. I got DH to check when he got in (no toilet paper either time, so nothing to have blocked it), and he found the same.

I'm a bit anxious/phobic that it's going to happen again. I can't understand how it could happen again a day after they jetted it (and no one has even been for a poo since then, so I know no one has blocked it).

OP's posts:
Please
or

buggeringbuggery · 23/09/2022 22:00

Anyone? I can't remember the name of the person who may know - john was it?

OP's posts:
Please
or

buggeringbuggery · Yesterday 00:18

I think it may be @PigletJohn if he's still around?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bunnyfuller · Yesterday 00:23

Are you in an older house? We had this in the cottage we lived in, happened several times. Eventually they had to put a liner in because the old clay pipes were collapsing.

if it’s new build it’ll be pipes too narrow to flow easily out into the trap (will have a screw off cover prob in your patio or front path. There is probably more stuck than the plumbers got out and you can ‘move the material along’ with a pokey stick.

my plumber dad showed me how when we lived in a new build and has this issue.

Please
or

buggeringbuggery · Yesterday 01:34

Thanks @Bunnyfuller . The house is 1950s. It was fine till they fitted the bathroom (which was done badly and involved sticking everything down with silicone sealant -including the cistern).

The first problem we noticed was the leak from the soil stack into the kitchen, which we were told was probably caused by the new section, but it stopped just before they came to rip out the tiled box in the bathroom.

It may well be that there is more stuff in there, my fear is that the section is failing at the join (which is probably he'd together by silicone sealant).

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bunnyfuller · Yesterday 01:41

I would get the people back who installed it in that case

Please
or

buggeringbuggery · Yesterday 12:01

Unfortunately we can't get them back, we are HA tenants and the company they used went bust.

So, the toilet is draining really slowly. It fills to the rim, then drains over a long period. Even one square of toilet roll won't go down. Worried about it starting to come back in the bath again.

Too scared to phone, as after the jetting they said it wouldn't block again for years, and 24 hours later it's happened again.

OP's posts:
Please
or

buggeringbuggery · Yesterday 12:18

And it's totally blocked! Just been to the loo, wouldn't take any waste when I flushed (just very slowly emptied water, but no waste at all).

Poured a bucket of water down, and it's just filled to the rim and is disgusting! Can't phone them until I can get rid of it!

The bath isn't blocked, so doubt they would come as they only came before as the toilet was going into the bath when flushed, or we used the sink.

They told me that it was all sorted, I don't understand how it could happen again 24 hours later.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Dougieowner · Yesterday 13:28

If it has immediately blocked again then it isn't your fault so just contact them.
Clearly there is another blockage further along the pipe (or series of them) so they need to clear the whole pipe and not stop at the first blockage they come to.

Please
or

buggeringbuggery · Yesterday 13:42

Dougieowner · Yesterday 13:28

If it has immediately blocked again then it isn't your fault so just contact them.
Clearly there is another blockage further along the pipe (or series of them) so they need to clear the whole pipe and not stop at the first blockage they come to.

Thank you @Dougieowner I've been sat on the phone for 1hr 15 minutes now, they're not answering (and if it's dark, which I suspect it will be by the time anyone comes/if anyone comes), they won't do much. Beginning to think no one is going to answer, but DD says she needs the loo, but it's filled to the top, so she will have to wait. Thanks again.

OP's posts:
Please
or

buggeringbuggery · Yesterday 14:58

Still no answer, this is bloody ridiculous!

OP's posts:
Please
or

PigletJohn · Yesterday 22:26

Where are the manhole covers?

You can open them with a spade.

Please
or

buggeringbuggery · Today 12:23

@PigletJohn the manhole cover is in the back garden, on the patio, but it is definitely clear.

I am really, really f*cked off now!

We had a lovely plumber come last night. He unblocked it by plunging - yay! He said the blockage was nothing to do with the previous problems. He said our toilet fills far too slowly (we already know this), and this causes the problem, so to report that on Monday and use a bucket of water along with flushing.

So I just went to the loo. I hardly went (I think I'm withholding due to fear of it happening again, DD hasn't been in over a week as she's too scared).

I flushed and also had a bucket of water. It drained slowly (but some waste left). Another full bucket of water (builder's bucket, so large). It filled to the rim and took ages to go, not all waste (and there was very little), went.

I know there is something else going on. Four visits now, three involved rodding and one including jetting and one plunging. I am literally too phobic to go to the loo now.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?