Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Electric meter dead - new tenancy.

OhYouBadBadKitten · 23/09/2022 19:21

Asking on behalf of my dd. She's recently moved into a flat. Registered with an energy company the same day and gave a meter reading. Since then it hasn't gone up at all. Obviously she will contact the company, but what on earth happens with her bills? How will they work out how much to charge?

She's a low energy user, but how will the company know that with any estimates they make?

OP's posts:
Please
or

hedgehoglurker · Yesterday 08:17

Just checking the basics.

She signed up with the existing energy company used by the previous tenant or did she pick a random one?

She is reading the actual meter, not an in-home monitor for a smart meter?

Is it a smart meter, digital meter which has different readings depending on the buttons pressed, or an analogue meter?

Please
or

OhYouBadBadKitten · Yesterday 10:57

Thanks Hedgehog, she signed up to the prior tenants user.It's a dumb meter. I pretty confident it's an analogue meter from what I remember when I looked at it. She's out today, I'll have to double check that when she gets back. I was bemused at how old fashioned it looked.

OP's posts:
Please
or

OhYouBadBadKitten · Yesterday 10:58

prior tenants company. No idea why I typed user!

OP's posts:
Please
or

hedgehoglurker · Yesterday 12:58

The electricity meter in my last home had dials representing each figure. Even some meter readers, whose job it is, couldn't read it properly. On more than one occasion I had to send the correct readings with photos as they'd input vastly incorrect figures with a massive bill to boot!

My current one is pretty ancient too, but at least shows the numbers instead of dials.

In the meantime, so long as she takes photos for her records and advises them of the discrepancy, it should work out in the end. Hopefully her move in inventory also details the meter readings. She should also check that the meter number is correct on her bill, just in case there is a working one in a different location.

I wouldn't be surprised if the previous tenant kept quiet and enjoyed the free electricity.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?