Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Selling a house that needs updating

BlackKnightinYellowWellies · 23/09/2022 16:17

Nearly every house I see on the market is fully modernised, ours sadly is not.
We need to sell as we are relocating. Please tell me it will be ok...

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lcb123 · 23/09/2022 16:22

You'll sell, just for less than the modernised. We can only afford somewhere that needs renovating, in the location we want, and are willing to do the work. We bought an awful condition flat 3 years ago!

Please
or

Thestagshead · 23/09/2022 16:25

It will be fine but it needs to be priced accordingly ie priced for its condition. Everything sells for rhe right price. The issue only arises when you fail to realise the financial impact of it not being maintained on its value and try to ask too much.

Please
or

Mooserp · 23/09/2022 16:29

I would actually prefer a house that needs updating - assuming you mean it's a bit dated rather than needing major works?

Please
or

SollaSollew · 23/09/2022 16:31

A lot of people (me included) like buying houses that aren't fully done up and doing them in our own way. I think you'll get a lot of interest, if it's priced so people can do the work needed and not go massively over the ceiling price of the road.

Please
or

Bogohum · 23/09/2022 16:32

What does it need doing exactly or in what way is it not updated?

Please
or

Redqueenheart · 23/09/2022 16:34

As long as it is priced correctly to reflect the work needed and clean and tidy you won't have any issues.

Please
or

Redqueenheart · 23/09/2022 16:35

As long as it is priced correctly to reflect the work needed and clean and tidy you won't have any issues.

Please
or

BlackKnightinYellowWellies · 23/09/2022 19:58

Thanks for answering.
The kitchen and the bathroom need replacing, as does the wiring, I suspect. We have spent on the boiler and the roof and mostly ignored the old kitchen units and the coloured bathroom suite.
It's a nice Victorian house in a sought after area, but all our neighbours houses that have sold in the last few years were fully refurbished as far as I can see, whilst ours is much more basic.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Beamur · 23/09/2022 20:01

I would much prefer to buy a house that hasn't had a kitchen/bathroom done so I could choose how I would like it.
Roof work and boiler done are good selling points.

Please
or

been and done it. · 23/09/2022 20:39

Redqueenheart · 23/09/2022 16:35

People seem keen nowadays to buy the worst house on the best street and do it up.

Please
or

BlackKnightinYellowWellies · 23/09/2022 21:18

I hope you are right been and done it :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

FourChimneys · 23/09/2022 21:22

Just before the pandemic I sold an elderly relative's house, saying it needed updating was putting it mildly. It needed rewiring and replumbing as well as major cosmetic work.

It went for £20k over the asking price to an energetic young couple who wanted a project rather than a finished home.

Please
or

minticecreamisjustok · 23/09/2022 21:26

Things that can help you sell quickly and hopefully not too much lower is replacing old carpets, a freshen up of paint and being very clean and tidy. Tidy homes sell a lot quicker.

Please
or

starsinthegutter · 23/09/2022 21:30

I think people like to make a place their own. Having a newish roof and boiler is good, that will save them a bit.

Please
or

BlackKnightinYellowWellies · 23/09/2022 21:31

We have no time or money to make any changes, but hopefully the place will be empty soon,(we are relocating into rented) so qualify as tidy.

OP's posts:
Please
or

NellyBarney · 23/09/2022 23:36

If it needs fully rewiring it will also need replastering and the floors will need to come up and will need replacing. And once you take up floorboards, you always find that your underlying timbers are a bit rotten and need repairs, so you would need to be realistic about the price if there are fully modernised alternatives on the market.

Please
or

ICouldHaveCheckedFirst · 23/09/2022 23:43

I'm worried about this too! Not selling just yet, but decor in 2 main rooms is very dated. Kitchen is sound but not contemporary. Also we are not minimalist by any stretch. I'm bracing myself.
Good luck OP, hope you find a buyer with imagination.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?