Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

LPG Gas Bull tank within 3m of property

Psionic · 23/09/2022 09:14

Good morning, I have the option of purchasing a house in a new build development. Only 10 houses in the development and the plot I am looking at has a LPG bulk gas tank 3m from my garage, that supplies all the houses. This plot has a very large garden (which I would prefer)hence me wanting to find out firstly, if any of you would be put off by this. And secondly do the safety concerns of being so close to a tank, negate the benefit of additional garden space. Am I better off choosing a plot further away with a smaller garden?

thanks in advance

OP's posts:
Please
or

Psionic · 23/09/2022 09:16

Apologies it is 3m from the garage. So it meets the safety standards

OP's posts:
Please
or

MishaBukvic · 23/09/2022 10:09

How does that work, so the gas tank is on your (potential) property, but it supplies the other houses? Who pays for the gas?

Please
or

womaninatightspot · 23/09/2022 10:20

Gas with these things is metered at the individual houses. A gas company will have the contract to refill and will bill residents as normal. It's often more expensive than mains gas.

At some point that tank will need replaced 20-30 years and safety standards have a habit of changing as we get increasingly cautious over the years. I'd avoid as I'd worry I was letting myself in for a headache in the long term. I'd be happy to rent with it there though.

Please
or

satelliteheart · 23/09/2022 11:18

Safety wise it wouldn't bother me at all. We have an oil tank which is actually inside our house, although only accessible from outside. Like an integrated shed. It was fitted before the 3m regulations came in. The only concern I would have is the view of it, gas tanks are pretty ugly but if it's screened in some way, or could be screened I'd be ok with it

Please
or

Psionic · 23/09/2022 11:48

Thanks all - it is sunken into the ground, so not an eyesore. The only visible part is a cover, which looks like a manhole.

It supplies the entire development, so it is individually metered.

A slightly higher cost, is not as much a concern for me. It is purely down to safety and future rental/sale potential.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?