Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Should we paint the inside of new MDF wardrobe?

Blankiefan · 22/09/2022 20:28

We're having new wardrobes fitted in our bedroom alcoves. They are MDF. We've already briefed the decorator to paint the outsides and the doors (inside and out). We had thought we'd just leave the inside au natural but not so sure now. Any thoughts?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Georgiesgirl · 22/09/2022 20:39

I think they'd look much better painted. Could always go for a different colour.

Please
or

Mosaic123 · 22/09/2022 21:51

Or some wallpaper for a fun interior!

Please
or

ComtesseDeSpair · 22/09/2022 22:50

I had the same thought as you initially. Our decorator didn’t get around to doing it, and quite frankly, with the 226 dresses I own alone apart from anything else, I’ve never seen anything of the interior of my wardrobe. Unless you expect to be enjoying looking at the interior panels, I really wouldn’t bother.

Please
or

DeanStockwelll · 22/09/2022 22:54

Years ago when I decided to redecorate my bedroom I painted the inside of an old wardrobe it was dark wood and old and tatty so I had nothing to lose I was surprised at the amount of difference it made it actually made things easier to find because I painted it very bright white .

Please
or

WeAreTheHeroes · 22/09/2022 23:36

Paint it or it will forever look unfinished.

Please
or

TwoLeftSocksWithHoles · 23/09/2022 15:45

Paint it, but use a paint / primer designed for MDF or else the 'fibres' can swell and it doesn't look good then.

Please
or

Blankiefan · Yesterday 21:07

I'm sold on painting it. The decorator is less than chuffed!

OP's posts:
Please
or

dudsville · Yesterday 21:10

I agree with painting it, and white makes it easier to see, unless you've got internal lights which frees up your options.

Please
or

PerfectPainter · Yesterday 21:17

I agree painting interior is better, unless it has been exceptionally well made and clean.

As a painter I sympathise with your decorator as I have done this and was losing the will to live with the sanding and multiple coats (looks great though).

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?