to access all these features

How much for a bathroom?

Notjustabrunette · 22/09/2022 16:48

I’m looking to have our bathroom re-done. It’s small and will be;
toilet
sink with vanity unit
bath with shower over bath
full tiling on floor and walls
new lighting with pull cord replaced by switch.

We aren’t doing any of this ourselves, how much do you think this should cost?

just for context, we were quoted 15k, which I felt was a bit steep. But maybe I’m out of touch.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lerouge · 22/09/2022 16:54

Just had a new bathroom - it cost £7k. Of this, about £4.5k were fitting costs, and the rest was on bathroom furniture and tiles. We had similar quotes so I think it was a reasonable quote for our area. £15k sounds very steep but I guess it depends on how high end you're going with bathroom fittings and tiles.

Please
or

PuddlesOnFire · 22/09/2022 16:59

Before COVID, Brexit and various other world ending stuff, I paid £5k for a similar job. I'd also has a quote for £7k. I bought the stuff to put in there myself and this was part of the £5k.

I would get other quotes and if need be, also get a breakdown of costs, as I'd like to think you're being ripped off.

Please
or

Undone21 · 22/09/2022 17:08

We’re paying 5k for ours to be done mid October. Nothing fancy, keeping things in the same place but replacing everything. We’ve gone for a local well recommended handy man instead of a bigger firm.

Please
or

Undone21 · 22/09/2022 17:08

forgot to add ours doesn’t include the cost of the tiles we need to buy those.

Please
or

Notjustabrunette · 22/09/2022 17:10

Hmmm, I had around 7k in my head. I was surprised at the 15k, I have a feeling that this guy really goes for ‘high end’. I’m not sure if I’m really a high end kind of person. I’m glad I’m not the only person who thinks this, thank you for your feedback.

OP's posts:
Please
or

honeyandbutterontoast · 22/09/2022 17:13

Had a quote for £9k for mine which I thought seemed pricey but I’m told prices have gone way up. That was including the suite etc and plasterer, electrician, tiling (but not tiles). I’m now buying suite etc myself, I think quote was based on basic fittings and I wanted higher end. So will probably be more like 10.5k.

Please
or

Gentleman1 · 22/09/2022 17:14

OP
It may be easier to breakdown the cost ie seprate it EG

Labour
Bathroom fittings/fixtures

This way you will have a better idea

We were quoted 8k labout by one and 4k by another for the same design/fittings etc so it depends on where you live, time of the year and luck

Always see their previous work of the type you want as reviews can be all shit EG someone just changed taps, toilet flushes etc and has 20 reviews all good but the one-half bathroom they done was rubbish

Ask who will lead the work and start/finish times and length of project.

Please
or

honeyandbutterontoast · 22/09/2022 17:14

I had 7k in my head too, but asking around it seems that is unlikely in current times.

Please
or

DrDetriment · 22/09/2022 17:17

I had someone quote 13k which I laughed at. In the end I got it done for under 6k and I love it. That was buying what I needed from Wickes and using their fitting service. I then bought the tiles separately and got an independent tiler to do the work.

Please
or

Babdoc · 22/09/2022 17:34

There’s a huge range, OP. I went into a bathroom showroom, not realising it was a particularly swanky one, and asked the salesman what sort of ballpark figure I would need for a new bathroom.
He looked me up and down. I obviously didn’t strike him as a potential customer.
“Our most recent one was £65,000 madam.”
After I recovered from my choking fit, I had a walk round to see what could possibly cost that much. How do you fancy a bathroom with a glass floor, with ferns and a flowing river water feature underneath it, a wood burning stove in the corner and gold and marble fittings, OP?!!
Personally I thought it was vulgar and hideous, and designed my own bathroom for a mere £7,000!

Please
or

Subbaxeo · 22/09/2022 18:43

We’ve just had our done-9k. We paid the fitter 4k which included skip, fan and spotlights plus electrician. He built a false wall so we could have a wall hung loo. We ordered the fittings from Plumbline and had a mixture of brands-Ideal Standard, Tissino, Roper Rhodes. LVT floor from Harvey Maria. It looks great and is a dream to use. I was surprised how much the vanity and mirrored cabinet cost-over £1k on those.15k sounds a lot-where are you based?

Please
or

QueenWenceslas · 22/09/2022 18:51

We’ve just had our en suite done. We had part of a wall ripped out so that the soil pipe could be moved and then rebuilt in such a way that the shower could have in build shelves. We had a new shower/tray/screen put in, new toilet, sink and vanity unit, floor tiled, walls fully tiled, new light fittings, LED mirror installed and the whole lot came in just shy of £7.5K. Midlands, not sure how much these things vary regionally

Please
or

lannistunut · 22/09/2022 18:53

I recently had a quote of £7k but with less tiling than you and little actual plumbing as most things will be in the same position.

£15k is high IMO.

Please
or

Notjustabrunette · 22/09/2022 19:49

I’m on the outskirts of London, but that shouldn’t make it twice the price as elsewhere. I think he’s either trying it on he’s going for something with a bit more spec than I need.

OP's posts:
Please
or

stuntbubbles · 22/09/2022 19:55

In London, a year ago: £5k on fitting with everything staying mostly in the same place, but adding a false wall to conceal a shower and switching the shower end of the bath. Fully tiled above bath but not elsewhere. £1.5k on fittings: bath, shower mixer/bath filler, tiles, flooring, loo, vanity, mirrored cabinet, basin taps, heated radiator, light, odds and sods that add up like loo roll holder, towel bar, toothbrush mug, etc.

Most bathroom places have frequent sales with hefty discounts; don’t ever pay full price for fittings, try to wait for the sales especially if you like high end! It helps if you can buy as you go so you can wait for each sale and have somewhere to store the stuff. We had a bath in our sitting room for a while…

Please
or

SpamhappyTootsie · 22/09/2022 19:57

Ours next month will be just under £14,000, apart from tiles which we will buy separately. That’s for new floor, ceiling, plastering, moving and replacing radiator, plastering, stud walls around chimney breast, separate bath and shower cubicle, sink, toilet and extractor fan. It’s quite a big bathroom too. A plumber is project managing all the trades for us, because I couldn’t face doing that myself.
So your quote does sound a bit on the high side. Labour is slightly more than fittings for ours.

Please
or

NisekoWhistler · 22/09/2022 22:12

We're near Putney and we're quoted £17k two years ago, I expect now the same people would quote at least £21k
Ended up with a wonderful guy for circa £12k including all items

Please
or

NisekoWhistler · 22/09/2022 22:14

To add to this, all products one our £17k quote were villeroy and boch

Please
or

Mosaic123 · 22/09/2022 22:18

East London. £7k including new bath, sink, loo and large mirrored cabinet. Fully tiled including the floor. We reused the basin tap and over bath shower and bath taps as they were only a year old.

The bathroom was two floors up with no lift so not easy. Took a couple of weeks

Please
or

Notjustabrunette · 23/09/2022 17:06

Thank you for all your feedback, has definitely given me some food for thought.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Framedays · 23/09/2022 17:20

1.8k labour included - he provided sink and shower taps and rain shower all Mira, rest fittings.: toilet, sink basin, shower screen, new radiator all rak I bought online he recommended Victorian plumbing. Husband was doing skip I also bought on my own tiles Italian good quality in local shop. All cost me 4.2 K last year job was done in a week. Bathroom size around 4x 2.5 m.

Please
or

glamourousindierockandroll · 23/09/2022 17:33

We had:
Full new suite
Tiles floor to ceiling
New radiator
Wall hung vanity unit with drawers

Came to £6000 in total

Please
or

SilentHedges · Yesterday 07:11

8 x 8ft bathroom. South East. Jan 2022.
I supplied metro tiles, toilet, radiator, sink, floor tiles, taps from Victoriam Plumbing and Topps Tiles. Kept same bath.
All fitted by independent builder in original positions, 3 quarter tiling, plus new pipework and spot lights - 5.5k

Please
or

mondaytosunday · Yesterday 07:27

I've had two bathrooms done in the last year (sw London, terraced houses £1m and up for context).
First was small bathroom, no change to layout, but walls needed some replastering and the floor needed levelling. I sourced the units l, lit mirror and tiles. Cost was £7-8k all in.
Second was even smaller, I moved all the plumbing around, put a bath in (was just a shower before), moved the door six inches over and used pricey handmade tiles (never again - they needed sealing twice).
Anyway that was just about £12k (tiles alone were over £1k).
Over 15 years ago in a more expensive area I was quoted £10k to simply change a shower and retile it (labour only)!!!!!! It was a self contained little shower - he must have thought I was an idiot.
Get more quotes in, it's too high unless your taps are gold plated and you are getting an expensive suite.

Please
or

LegsLikeParsnips · Yesterday 07:50

We got quoted something similar by a guy that noticed our kids go to private school and assumed he could inflate his price ridiculously. Ended up paying £7k ish (last year) to someone else including a very expensive vanity sink unit. Labour was about £1500 which was a bargain but we sourced all materials etc so he just had to fit. Oh, included a false wall being built & plastered too.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?