Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Bed Delivery - will they take the old bed away? Will any companies do this?

urgen · 22/09/2022 16:19

Hi All,

Does anyone know if I order a replacement bed for my elderly Mum whether a company will take the old bed away? I dont mind paying of course.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BruceAndNosh · 22/09/2022 16:21

Dreams do. Mattress and bed base

Please
or

Piffle11 · 22/09/2022 16:21

I think some will for an extra charge… You need to speak with the company. I just got rid of an old bed and had the council take it away as bulky waste: 20 quid for six pieces.

Please
or

Mooserp · 22/09/2022 16:23

Depending on the condition, you might be able to get rid of it on Facebook marketplace.
I put one on recently for £20 and was inundated with requests for it.

Please
or

urgen · 22/09/2022 17:44

Its in a terrible state as its in the spare room. Its over 35 years old. Mum has it propped up with duvets underneath because the springs are showing.

JUST NO ONE WILL WANT TO BUY IT!

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please
or

Talia99 · 22/09/2022 19:33

I know Dreams do. You have to take off the headboard and bag the mattress (they give you the bag).

I’ve got you beat, by the way. The bed they took from my aunt’s place was over 60 years old.

Please
or

lannistunut · 22/09/2022 19:44

When my mattress was delivered they took the old one away.

If not, the council will for a charge.

Please
or

Ohtsd · 22/09/2022 19:47

M&S do for a extra payment so do John Lewis, though with JL it may not be all beds as some branded stuff comes from the brand's supplier. I only know this because I am looking at new beds at the moment.

Please
or

SilentHedges · 22/09/2022 20:46

I'm looking at beds and mattresses too. I don't want to have a council collection as it means leaving the old mattress outside, visible from the road. No thanks, embarrassing!

Eve collect, or John Lewis, although noted @Ohtsd . I didn't know M&S and Dream's do, so a useful thread.

Please
or

Pixiedust1234 · 22/09/2022 20:50

Ask which ever company you are buying from. Most do if you pay extra.

Otherwise contact your local council. They charge so much per item but you will have to put it outside on the collection day, and make sure it stays dry from any rain. Have a look on their website.

Please
or

Twiglets1 · 22/09/2022 21:41

Lots of companies will take an old bed away when you buy a new one through them though they will probably be a charge. Just make sure you order the new bed from a company that offers this service so the switch happens on the same day and you don’t have to lug an old bed outside which the council would make you do.

Please
or

urgen · 23/09/2022 09:33

The charge is no issue. Mum lives in a small terraced house. I live 150 miles away and couldnt get it down the stairs anyway! It will be best to get the bed company to take it away.

Now to try and get her to agree to this. The bed is truly shocking. Why do older people do this. Keep things for years on end. My friends Mum tells her daughter to just mind the springs if she stays over night. BTW - my Mum has some money. Its not about money. Having moved my DF out of his truly disgusting home which he had trashed its seems after a certain age some older people just decide to not change or replace anything. In my DF's case he was lazy, why tidy up the house when he can push himself onto others. He was famous for putting on the sad face at Xmas and last time he came he brought a tin of out of date biscuits and asked for the tin back...

Anyway. Thanks all for the suggestions

OP's posts:
Please
or

Twiglets1 · 23/09/2022 19:29

urgen · 23/09/2022 09:33

The charge is no issue. Mum lives in a small terraced house. I live 150 miles away and couldnt get it down the stairs anyway! It will be best to get the bed company to take it away.

Now to try and get her to agree to this. The bed is truly shocking. Why do older people do this. Keep things for years on end. My friends Mum tells her daughter to just mind the springs if she stays over night. BTW - my Mum has some money. Its not about money. Having moved my DF out of his truly disgusting home which he had trashed its seems after a certain age some older people just decide to not change or replace anything. In my DF's case he was lazy, why tidy up the house when he can push himself onto others. He was famous for putting on the sad face at Xmas and last time he came he brought a tin of out of date biscuits and asked for the tin back...

Anyway. Thanks all for the suggestions

Oh gawd that story about the biscuits and the tin - what a tight wad!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?