Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Broke the chain- no have nowhere to go

RoyKent · 06/08/2022 09:35

Hi all,
Pretty desperate so need some advice. I rashly agreed to break the chain as I really wanted a new build but our buyers were running out of time on their mortgage.
I assumed (I know) would be able to secure a caravan for 8 weeks but they are about £1000 a week and I simply cannot afford this.
I would like to rent somewhere for 4 months but talking to an estate agent this morning that doesn't seem to be a possibility.
Do I continue with the sale and let the new build go and go for a long term rental instead?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Allicando · 06/08/2022 09:53

Have you looked at airbnb and approaching an owner? Or a local FB group? I know on mine I see posts like this sometimes. May be worth a shot.

Please
or

Twiglets1 · 06/08/2022 09:56

I’m sure there are hotels you can stay in for less than £1000 a week ( think premier inn/ holiday inn type places) & also many B & Bs etc. You just need to do lots of research and don’t be looking in holiday areas

Please
or

Walrus6 · 06/08/2022 10:00

Has the new build given you a definite date? They are notorious for delays so you might find 6 months is more realistic anyway.

Please
or

RoyKent · 06/08/2022 10:03

Would I be able to rent somewhere for six months? Would that be a more normal lease? We live in a seaside resort town unfortunately

OP's posts:
Please
or

Twiglets1 · 06/08/2022 10:45

RoyKent · 06/08/2022 10:03

Would I be able to rent somewhere for six months? Would that be a more normal lease? We live in a seaside resort town unfortunately

You might live in a seaside resort town but you could stay somewhere half an hour further inland temporarily and it would be cheaper.
You can often get 12 month rentals with a break clause at 6 months so you can leave at 6 months

Please
or

user1471538283 · 06/08/2022 11:21

I broke the chain and now rent.

Lots of landlords were willing to give me a break clause at 6 months. So you sign for 12 but you can leave at 6. Landlords are flexible especially if you have the money.

Please
or

RoyKent · 06/08/2022 11:47

Thank you everyone! Viewing a rental this afternoon. Fingers crossed it will do for now.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Twiglets1 · 06/08/2022 12:20

RoyKent · 06/08/2022 11:47

Thank you everyone! Viewing a rental this afternoon. Fingers crossed it will do for now.

Good Luck!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.