Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Single storey extension costs

3sacharm · 04/08/2022 20:57

Nervously awaiting a quote for a single storey extension approx 5m x 3m......
I'm hoping it will be no more than £30k..... flat roof, couple of skylights, French doors (not bifold) - not sure if this is realistic...

What has anyone else paid recently/had quoted in 2022?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sunflowergirl1 · 05/08/2022 06:08

We had a 10 x 3 extension done in 2017 (so glad we had done then). We had Velux windows instead of the flat roof (come back and discuss why if you go ahead). That was done to a nice spec, sliding doors, underfloor heading and remodelling with a utility, new kitchen etc. Had steels to hold up the house. Cost £75k. Several Neighbours have all had quotes for various versions of ours which were a minimum 2.5 times the price. One cut there's down to a 6x 3 with no structural work or new kitchen and was £100k. It is utterly crazy the prices currently and I wouldn't pay them as it is totally disproportionate to house value.

Please
or

Dox9 · 05/08/2022 06:37

We had 3 quotes in March for 5x3 extension (just adding dining area, no change to existing kitchen, no new bathroom, no utility, no change to existing opening at the back). 70-75k. We had had quotes for the same work in 2019-2018 around 30-35k.

Please
or

MyCatIsNotFittingMyKitchen · 05/08/2022 06:42

Sorry. It’s going to be more than that. We are currently doing a slightly bigger one (works out at 19 square metres). SE. All the prices we have been quoted for the build have been from £51k to £59k plus VAT. Bar one builder who wanted £86k plus VAT.🙄So £60-72k before kitchen, flooring, etc. And ours is structurally very simple and has patio doors rather than bifold doors.

Had we done it when we wanted to in 2019 (long story), I suspect it would have been more like £36-40k plus VAT so £48k.

Please
or

3sacharm · 05/08/2022 06:42

Wow..... definitely can't afford that much! We don't have any steels needed so that's one good thing and hoping we can reuse the existing big French doors as they are only 4 years old. We do need a new kitchen and to form a new WC and utility
Feeling a bit panicked now!

OP's posts:
Please
or

3sacharm · 05/08/2022 06:48

@MyCatIsNotFittingMyKitchen

Mine would be about the same size 17m2 also no bi folds hopefully reuse existing patio doors

My main works though are moving my kitchen into the integral garage (which is already part converts with heat light and power) and then where the current kitchen is form a new utility and downstairs wc

We would have done building works years ago but I had twins last year and then only got a decent promotion earlier this year - we tried to move but the market in our area is absolutely insane with no sign of slowing so we are effectively trapped as the location is perfect for DH to walk to work (so we don't need a second car) and for eldests school

OP's posts:
Please
or

keeprunningupthathill · 05/08/2022 06:50

We've just arranged to borrow 80k to do similar and get new kitchen put in. I am not sure that will be enough to be honest. I really don't want to spend that much money on it but we have to do something as it's horrible at the moment.

Please
or

Lemonblossom · 05/08/2022 06:52

Completely unrealistic I’m afraid. Both material and labour costs are at an all time high. Double that and you’d still be getting a good deal.

Reusing the patio doors etc is good but will only be saving you a couple of grand.

Please
or

SundayTeatime · 05/08/2022 06:57

You won’t get that done for 30k, or anything like that price.

Please
or

3sacharm · 05/08/2022 06:59

I'm wondering if we just do the kitchen/garage works and form the utility - so all the existing footprint works and wait to do the extension until prices come down?
I'm not too rushed on the extension but as it's not that big really but we do need a downstairs wc as the thought of toilet training the twins with one upstairs loo makes me anxious! 😂

The extension bit would just be a bit of a day room/den for the kids leaving DH and I the lounge (which isn't massive)

OP's posts:
Please
or

3sacharm · 05/08/2022 07:01

We are in the midlands so that's got to be cheaper than the SE too?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lemonblossom · 05/08/2022 07:01

How much are you budgeting for the garage conversion on top of all this since that alone is likely to be £25k plus.

Please
or

JustLikeJasper · 05/08/2022 07:01

We have just had a 4x6m extension but the shell only, flat roof x2 sky lights, patio doors and single glazed door cost us £31k we are in SE. Kitchen will be another £6k and internals another £5k ish. Parts only as we are doing the internals ourselves.

Please
or

Lemonblossom · 05/08/2022 07:02

I’m in the midlands

Please
or

3sacharm · 05/08/2022 07:06

@Lemonblossom to be honest I'm a bit stumped on the garage conversion cost as it's already converted to a utility albeit without regs - we'd just need a window and low wall where the fake garage door is currently. And then just a case of replasterboard and replace floor. It has heat and light and power. So £10k max plus kitchen

OP's posts:
Please
or

3sacharm · 05/08/2022 07:09

@Lemonblossom
I was thinking 7.5k for the utility as again already has heat light and power as it's currently the kitchen so just needs a partition wall to split it into utility and wc

OP's posts:
Please
or

MyCatIsNotFittingMyKitchen · 05/08/2022 07:10

It will be cheaper in the Midlands but not half the price cheaper…. We are also converting our old galley kitchen to a downstairs loo and utility, but that’s the cheapest bit! I will be pleasantly surprised if we have anything left out of £100k when we’ve finished, and that’s with a DIY Kitchens kitchen and utility.

Please
or

3sacharm · 05/08/2022 07:26

@MyCatIsNotFittingMyKitchen

How much is your quote for split your kitchen into a wc etc?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Lemonblossom · 05/08/2022 07:39

I’m coming to the end of a big project. I’m in the midlands. I’ve just done two single storey extensions on the house.

I have left what is effectively a garage conversion (old brick building attached to my office with power and water). It’s 4x4 with side hung garage doors. We need to insulate, plaster board, plaster out, put up internal stud wall, move a couple of power points, put in upvc French doors, add plumbing and drainage for toilet and shower and connect these (we supply the sanitaryware), add door to shower room, skirting architrave etc. No plumbed heating since my office which is attached has a sufficiently sized wood burner. No decoration, no tiling in shower room, no flooring,

That is coming to circa £20k mates rates in the midlands.

Please
or

Dinneronmybfpillow · 05/08/2022 08:06

5x4m rear extension to a semi detached in SW, sliding doors instead of French and slanted roof with bog standard velum windows - been quoted 54k before flooring and kitchen.

Another twin mum here desperately seeking more space. We're lucky to be receiving inheritance to help with this but three years ago it would have been plenty with some left over. Now it's looking really tight and we're already going to be running at a deficit with our day to day finances due to childcare costs when I go back to work.

Please
or

ungratefuldead · 05/08/2022 08:08

We live in south east

Single storey 5x3 metres. Knock down existing conservatory (less than half a day) and extend foundations by 1 metre.

Sloped roof, 2x electric velux, bifold doors and fixed window seat

The room is extending our living space so now plumbing, no additional internal walls, no difficulty eclectics and no kitchen

All in, including planning costs it came to £50k. We were quoted up to £90k

I do think it will be more than you expect. We were originally quoted £27k in 2019!

Please
or

EinsteinaGogo · 05/08/2022 08:09

We've remodelled our downstairs - no extension at all - and the total work came to around £75k.

I think you are going to be looking at £50k+ at a minimum, unfortunately.

Please
or

wonkylegs · 05/08/2022 08:12

@3sacharm is the garage insulated (floor, external walls & any exposed ceiling) because that will need doing as well to meet building regs, usually it's the floor that is the biggest issue as it depends if you have enough depth to work with to make the figures required. It will need to meet the new insulation requirements which came into force in July if you are doing new work now.

Please
or

3sacharm · 05/08/2022 10:09

@wonkylegs

The house is 1960s so doubt insulated however reading regs as the garage floor is the same level as the rest of my house there is a note that you can get away with less if you can demonstrate 15 year payback (don't know what that means!)

OP's posts:
Please
or

3sacharm · 05/08/2022 10:11

@Dinneronmybfpillow

Yes my twins were a big surprise after a lot of failed IVF - we'd have done the extension a long time ago but remortgaged to pay for IVF - it eventually worked and had the twins but I had to go back to work at 20 weeks as I'm the main earner and full time childminder some months can be circa £1800 😩

OP's posts:
Please
or

Rutland2022 · 05/08/2022 10:13

I’m East Mids and at least £3k per square metre seems to be the average at the moment for extensions. I would imagine you’d need £50-60k

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.