Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Has anyone relocated twice with kids? Feel like we’ve moved to the wrong place

glowinglantern · 04/08/2022 14:16

We moved out of London a year ago. I keep thinking we chose the wrong area.

Where we are living should be perfect. Great schools, easy commute to London, we have a lovely detached house. But it just doesn’t feel right. It’s very “naice” and I just don’t feel like I fit in. It’s full of high earners (or high earning men with SAH wives) with flashy cars who are always off on expensive holidays. We both work in the public sector and have a much more “normal” lifestyle. It’s also nearly two hours from my family and it’s more rural than I’m used to - we have to drive to school and to the station for work.

I keep thinking we should have chosen another area which is a bit more down to earth and a bit cheaper where we could have walked to school and the station. It doesn’t have the same reputation for amazing schools but there are still good options. It is also only one hour from my family. My parents are getting on and I have a disabled sister and I’m kicking myself thinking we should have taken the opportunity to move closer when we had the chance. I also would like to be closer to the sea although I guess that alone isn’t a sensible reason to move 😁

I’m the only one who isn’t happy though. DH likes it here and DD aged 6 has settled well at the school. How can I possibly move her again when we’ve already moved her once?

DH is from Cornwall so everywhere is far from his family 😬 and only his dad is still alive.

We also have a younger DS but he’s only 2 so I wouldn’t worry too much about moving him.

Has anyone been in this position? Do I just have grass is greener syndrome and need to focus on making a life for myself here? I just can’t see myself ever fitting in or being happy.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SafelySoftly · 04/08/2022 14:38

If think very carefully about re settling a child twice, when everyone else is happy

Please
or

glowinglantern · 04/08/2022 14:54

@safelysoftly I know 😞 If DD were younger I wouldn’t think twice but she’s happy here. I’m just kicking myself because I think we made the wrong choice.

OP's posts:
Please
or

pjani · 04/08/2022 15:23

It sounds to me like you need to find some kindred spirits. Can you put a lot of effort into that before considering a move? Eg go to meet-ups, sign up for some hobbies where you think you might meet like-minded people. Maybe some environmental action groups or similar as it sounds like have some anti-consumerist values?

I have thought about this a lot as I am from somewhere where I always felt like a fish out of water. But if I had to move back for family reasons, I’d do some of that. I am sure there are some people more like you there - you just need to find them.

Please
or

upthem5 · 04/08/2022 15:27

I’m watching this thread as I’m desperate to leave Cornwall with my family and I’m worried that I’ll relocate and feel the same as you do!

the grass is rarely greener 😭

Please
or

Darkness22 · 04/08/2022 15:33

I dunno. I think your reasons are very practical and your dd is only 6. We have made a similar type move but are prepared to stay here now whilst the dc finish school as they are a bit older. I guess the question would be, what if you didn't fit in there either? But then your practical reasons for moving would still stand.

Please
or

The2Omicronnies · 04/08/2022 15:43

We’ve sort of relocated twice, but admittedly the whole family was on board. We moved purely for a specific school, but none of us were happy, so we’re actually moving back to exactly where we came from. I guess it must be much harder if DH & DD are happy, but I knew there was simply no way I could stay in the new location and we’re all so happy to be moving back (hopefully within the next month). Our DC were 5&6 when we moved, now 7&8.

Please
or

FlipFlops4Me · 04/08/2022 15:52

My DF was in the RAF. We relocated so many times. I went to 11 schools and we worked out that my DSis went to 17. We're both healthy, happy well adjusted adults. What matters is the parenting - we got used to different schools quickly enough, but our little family unit was totally stable and we felt loved, wanted and cared for.

For what it's worth, relocating twice with kids isn't something I'd think twice about. If you're happy, calm and convinced the move is the right thing then the kids will adjust well.

Please
or

Thethingswedoforlove · 04/08/2022 15:58

I think it needs to be very very bad for you to do this to your child again

Please
or

glowinglantern · 04/08/2022 16:04

Thank you for all the comments! Some very very different views 😊

I think in the short term I definitely need to follow @pjani‘s advice and really throw myself into making friends in the area. I think I need to be certain I’ve given it a really good shot.

OP's posts:
Please
or

glowinglantern · 04/08/2022 16:18

@FlipFlops4Me so nice to hear such a positive slant - whatever we end up deciding, I really hope my kids feel that positive about our nuclear family when they grow up 🥰

OP's posts:
Please
or

glowinglantern · 05/08/2022 12:02

Just bumping in case anyone else has any experience of this.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Greenybluetowel · 05/08/2022 13:46

We moved twice, 4 years apart, DS was 4 when we moved and started the local school. The house was huge, beautiful rural area but only 1 mile from my work and the nearest large town in our area. I couldn't settle but the rest of the family loved it. But I knew I'd moved to the wrong area. I would bring it up, they would all say why they loved it, and I'd push it away again, then a while later I'd bring it up again. The thought of moving both physically and financially seemed insane (especially to my DH). I was also very worried about moving to the wrong place again, what if I felt like this in another new area. I then said one day how about moving back to the town we left, as soon as I said it, that was it! We moved within a few months. My DS started his new school and has settled fine. Life is too short and we are all happy here.

Please
or

MassiveSalad22 · 05/08/2022 13:53

We moved areas twice when I was 7 and I am really really really conscious not to do the same to mine I’m afraid!

Please
or

user850301848172 · 05/08/2022 14:16

We did but only because our eldest was miserable.

He's much happier and settled now.

I would be reluctant to move a happy, settled child. Can you give it another 6 months - year and have a think again then?

Please
or

SirVixofVixHall · 05/08/2022 14:30

We moved a lot when I was a child due to my Dad’s job. I never wanted to move but I did adjust well each time , as did sibling. Looking back I quite like having experienced different areas.

Please
or

minipie · 05/08/2022 14:56

How did your DD find the move to where you are now? Did it upset her a lot or was she fine about it?

Some kids are much more bothered by change and moving than others. My two DDs are chalk and cheese in this respect.

In your shoes I think I would move - but do your research on the new area very very carefully before you do.

Please
or

Pinkdelight3 · 05/08/2022 15:38

There's been a few similar threads on here recently - think one family had moved to Beaconsfield and another to the Sussex coast, possibly Brighton. Both were having similar angst after a similar timescale, so it might be worth hunting down those threads as there were many useful insights and a vast spectrum of perspectives. Possibly it's just the timeframe and after two years you'll feel more settled. I'd say your DD is still young enough to move again with no big trauma and still will be okay even in a year. It's beyond that when it'll get much harder, so it's good that you've raised it now so you can try throwing yourself into settling there and if it still feels wrong, then you've show that you've given it a good go, and can make a stronger case for making the next move. Hopefully by then you'd have a much better sense of where you want to be too. There's plenty of posts on here about people moving back to London after it not working out, plus some who've ended up going much further afield. See how you go. Good luck...

Please
or

BluesandClues · 05/08/2022 19:26

Moved a few times with my children for work etc, these were big moved as well. Kids will adjust, I wouldn’t think twice about moving a six and a two year old.

Please
or

maskersanonymous · 05/08/2022 19:32

If it's only been a year I think that really isn't long enough to see if you will settle... especially after the last few years we have had. We moved to somewhere that sounds similar(!) a couple of years ago and it took a very long time for my children to truly feel settled (although new schools together with lockdowns didn't help) so I would be very cautious about moving a child again at this point. However, my DC and DH are now very happy here... and while I am still conflicted, I think we are here for some time now. Perhaps you could reassess in a year or two?

Please
or

judithkerr · 05/08/2022 20:29

We did this, within London but it still felt like a big deal. I had a five and three year old. Honestly, I just didnt settle in the area and after a year, I just wasnt going to. We moved to a more suburban area with a large house but I hate it. So we are moving. It's not ideal and definitely unwise in this market.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.