Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

En suite

itbemay · 13/05/2022 12:35

We've recently moved into our new house and had always planned to put an en-suite in the master bedroom. Before I get a plumber/builder round to quote can anyone help with what I need to consider or ask or if it's even possible?

I've attached a floor plan of the room. I'm clueless so any help appreciated. Thanks

En suite
OP's posts:
Please
or

rwalker · 13/05/2022 12:39

Best to workout where there services like water and drainage are . A lot of the time this dictates where it goes.
Water is easy to put anywhere drainage more of a challenge

Please
or

Ducksinthebath · 13/05/2022 13:38

A floor plan of the floors below will show better where services are. Where your water/drainage pipes are is the real decider, not where you would like it placed.

Please
or

itbemay · 13/05/2022 16:23

So the room where I would like the en-suite is a loft room, the floor plan attached is floor below.

Good shout re drainage, I suppose where toilets are?

Thanks!

En suite
OP's posts:
Please
or

Ducksinthebath · 13/05/2022 16:40

Yes, but where is the loft located? Does it cover the full footprint of the floor below, or only partial?

The point still stands that you have to try and match up soil stack, other drainage, etc. which I imagine is on the side of the house next to the en suite.

Have you checked you can do an en suite in the loft conversion without a macerator?

Please
or

minipie · 13/05/2022 16:47

I agree the plumbing looks tricky assuming soil pipe is on the right hand side of the house. Might still be possible to have a loo on the left and run soil pipe under the loft floor to join the main soil pipe on the right, but it depends on which way the floor joists go and how long a run it is (you need the underfloor pipe at a steep enough gradient to allow, er, matter to slide along).

I guess you also have sloping ceilings - so those bits of room either side of the staircase are not full head height?

Please
or

minipie · 13/05/2022 16:53

You could do something like this - if head height allows

Or rotate the loo 90 degrees if you’d prefer to keep the window in the bedroom

bedroom ends up a bit chopped up though but you can build in dressing table/wardrobes to make it work

En suite
Please
or

JaninaDuszejko · 13/05/2022 18:48

Assuming the useless extendy bits of the room are full height I'd ask about the practicalities and costs of making them into an en suite and dressing room. That would be the most attractive solution but probably not the cheapest.

If that's not possible what's the distance from the end wall with the single window to the first window on the wall with two windows? If there's space then partition off that end wall with the single window to make the bathroom. You could have a sink below the window and a shower to one side and the loo to the other, door in the middle of the wall opposite the sink. But that depends on overall dimensions, do you have sufficient width before the double window and how much useable space is left in the room. In that case I'd make that useless bit of room behind the stairs a dressing room.

I'd also knock together the two tiny bathrooms in the floor downstairs and make one decent sized bathroom with a bath and a shower.

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 13/05/2022 19:06

Judging by the position of the stairs, this loft is at the top of the first floor plan. Therefore the drainage snd water is on the back wall.

Therefore: make the entrance to the stairs in a different place. Then use the bottom left hand corner for the en suite. This should give you a drainage run into the drains below. You will need to check how it can be linked in and it might mess up the bathrooms below. You will need a survey to determine if this can be done but any other position is further away. I would not split up loo and shower either side of a window. You must try and do en internal bathroom to facilitate plumbing.

Please
or

Threetulips · 13/05/2022 21:15

Have you seen those rooms where the bed is against a stud wall and the bath room is behind it - so the end of the walls are open?

Then you could have a walk in wardrobe and and dressing table on the left side

En suite
Please
or

Threetulips · 13/05/2022 21:19

Like these

Please
or

Threetulips · 13/05/2022 21:19

Here

En suite
Please
or

TizerorFizz · 13/05/2022 21:31

Where’s the drainage and water for that design?

Please
or

Honeyroar · 13/05/2022 21:39

I’d absolutely hate an open wall between bathroom and bedroom. My friend had one, I thought it was awful, and I’d never buy a house like that unless it would be easy to put doors on.

Please
or

parietal · 13/05/2022 21:50

I'd used bedroom one on the main floor as the master bedroom and keep the attic room for visitors/ kids playing/ office or whatever.

If you really must have a bathroom, minipies plan is good.

Please
or

savoycabbage · 13/05/2022 22:05

Are those the only two windows in the loft? What's the ceiling height situation? We've got a bathroom in our loft with the shower in one corner where the full height is and the toilet in the other and the sink where it starts to slope and a bath where the ceiling is low.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.