Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

New shower pump is very noisy

Londono · 26/05/2021 10:10

It is so noisy I can hear it downstairs when it whirrs from time to time even when the shower isn't in use.

Is this usual? I thought it would get better once I put everything back in the airing cupboard but it hasn't!

OP's posts:
Please
or

LittleOverWhelmed · 26/05/2021 13:06

We now have gotten rid of ours (gone to a pressurised system), but before - when we had it - it was noisy. It was in the airing cupboard you would hear it whirring from downstairs when it was on (and our house is 3500sqft - so not little).

Originally the pump was actually above the ceiling in our bedroom (across from our en-suite): it was hideously noisy there!!! Got it moved to the airing cupboard. It was either that or I would have killed husband for using the en-suite after I went to bed... Grin

Please
or

Muststopeating · 26/05/2021 13:16

Yes, unfortunately I think it is. My mum has one and you can hear it in the whole house (also not a small house) when running.

I believe there are some things that should reduce noise, i.e. the way it is installed to reduce vibration. You could also look at building a soundproof box... but do your research. It isn't as simple as putting sound insulation round as a lot of sound, especially vibration, travels through the fabric of the building.

Sorry, sure it is not what you hoped for.

Please
or

VeniVidiWeeWee · 26/05/2021 17:22

Try a small rubber mat under it.

Please
or

goingtotown · 26/05/2021 17:54

We’ve had a Techflow Pump for over 10 years its in the airing cupboard on the landing it’s not noisy just a hum.

Please
or

Diamondnights · 26/05/2021 19:42

When we had the bathrooms re-done the plumber had the choice of 2 types of pump. The one he thought more reliable was fitted and made a terrible amount of noise (worried the neighbours would be disturbed). We had it changed over to the other type and problem solved. Sorry not to have useful detail but I just mean that you have options. Talk to your plumber.

Please
or

Londono · 27/05/2021 10:22

Thanks everyone, I can't believe the noise! It was very expensive too (but did include some other work), I thought putting all the towels back in around it would help but I seriously thought it was coming from the builders next door the first time I heard it.

Will try something underneath it too to see if that helps.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Wiseflower · 23/09/2022 18:20

This message has been withdrawn at the poster's request

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?