My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Property forum for renovation, DIY, and house selling advice.

Property/DIY

I think I've found DAMP in my bedroom

24 replies

princessmel · 10/11/2007 11:50

I've been stripping wallpeper today. With the kids! By hand as the stripper/steamer is at mums and I haven't got the tools out of the shed yet.

Anyway, one of the corners, right at the top, seemed damp. It felt cold and slightly wet.
The paper came off much easier here.

And along the wall at the same level there seems to be tiny black mould spots.

I think our roof needs re doing and I'm worried that water is coming through the dodgy roof making our room damp.

Does that seem like a possible reason for the damp?

Would I need to fix the damp or fix the roof??

Any idea how much damp fixing/getting sorted costs??

TIA

OP posts:
paulaplumpbottom · 10/11/2007 11:55

That sucks

princessmel · 10/11/2007 11:58

Thanks

I'm really fed up about it.

we don't have a lot of extra cash, well none really. We live beyond our means iykwim.
My friend down the road is having an extension. I'll have to ask her builder for a quote

OP posts:
Katymac · 10/11/2007 12:01

It might just be a blocked drain - do get them checked first - it is on an outside wall obviously or it would be the ceiling that is damp

If it is a drain - fix it - let the wall dry out and all you need do is get a bit of plaster redone - but that might not even be necessary

somersetmum · 10/11/2007 12:03

Is it in line with your guttering? It could simply be that the guttering is blocked, so the water can't flow down the pipes properly and overflows back onto the house walls. I hope it is this as all you will need to do is clear the guttering - get someone up a ladder, quick

LadyOfWaffle · 10/11/2007 12:07

We have this in places, it's just condensation. Because this place is quite small, poorly ventilated etc. it can happen quite quickly. The steam from the shower waftes into our bedroom and DSs room while it was empty had the tumble drier which caused alot of condensation in there. I think if it was a leaky roof you would have alot more problems than abit of mould.

southeastastra · 10/11/2007 12:16

yes we have it in the bedroom too, there is a slight crack on the outside wall. you can get something to brush over it to prevent it coming through (though we just live with it) but you have to leave it a week or so before you paint over it.

princessmel · 10/11/2007 12:17

The mould could possibly be condensation but the wall just felt well damp.

Dh thinks the pipes are ok. They are quite new. I'll get him to check though.

The paper was still stuck up though. It wasn't hanging off but came off easily. Surely if it was soaking it would have come un stuck ages ago. I'm just wishfull thinking now.

OP posts:
princessmel · 10/11/2007 12:20

Thats sounds good sea.

I'm fed up

OP posts:
southeastastra · 10/11/2007 12:20

have you checked the outside wall? if there is a small gap, damp would form on the other side of the wall.

princessmel · 10/11/2007 12:25

No not yet. Dh is on call this weekend, (he's just been called out) and can't do it till tomorrow. I deffo can't.

I just spotted it this morning. Well I saw the mould spots a few weeks ago but dh wasn't too bothered

OP posts:
southeastastra · 10/11/2007 12:30

i think alot of houses have some damp, don't worry too much. if it were a major problem you would have noticed by now.

princessmel · 10/11/2007 12:32

Just been outside.

Don't know how dh will get up to see. We have a conservatory and I'm not sure if he's allowed to walk and climb on the roof. He'll have to lean up against the conserv and just see how much he can see.

The ends of the roof tiles seem very filled with moss and old looking. Uneven.

OP posts:
southeastastra · 10/11/2007 12:35

maybe you just need to get someone to clean out the gutters and remove the moss. we have to get ours done, it's a pain

digitalgirl · 10/11/2007 12:38

If it is coming from outside then just fix whatever is causing it and it will dry out. If it's condensation then it will keep returning unless you make sure the room is ventilated, especially that part of the wall (i.e. don't cover it with a wardrobe).

Like others have said, you can paint over the mould with stain sealer to seal it in.

If the plaster isn't crumbling or soaked then you won't need to replaster it.

It's a pain, but cheap to remedy (unlike rising damp, or damage caused by a major leak).

MamaMaiasaura · 10/11/2007 12:47

We had mould growing behind wardrobe and also don by front door behind shoe store we bought dehumidifer and have heating on a low constant and now further problems. Also moved wardrobe away from outside wall. Make sure air circulates.

Lauriefairycake · 10/11/2007 12:59

had exactly this, they replaced 3 tiles - it was only £35 too. All mossy and broken at the ends.

South-east so it may be cheaper where you are.

I did have one quote for the same thing by Mr-rip-off-I-saw-you-coming of £600...

I laughed my tits off

princessmel · 10/11/2007 13:22

We're in the south east too. Where abouts are you? We're ST.A

OP posts:
scienceteacher · 10/11/2007 13:34

We cured our damp by painting the outside walls.

Lauriefairycake · 11/11/2007 19:22

in Hemel so bet I had some companies coming over from ST Albans to quote

princessmel · 12/11/2007 14:36

Thanks

OP posts:
glenthorpe · 24/11/2007 12:30

If the damp is so high up it will be penetrating damp,not rising. As said before look at the gutters in the vicinity.Also look at the rendering,see if there any cracks in that.If your house is rubble built or brick built check the pointing.

Julezboo · 30/11/2007 22:50

get your gutters cleaned, get your roof checked.

We ended up having to have our whole roof replaced when we moved in here but we did have alot of damp

amytheearwaxbanisher · 30/11/2007 23:04

in the meanwhile if you put a large bowl of salt on your window sill it will draw moisture in the air into it and stop it getting any worse hopfully

mozzybearandwean · 23/12/2007 14:29

Wondered how you got on? I think I have the same problem, black streak forming in corner of bed room. Also blind on bedroom window going black. Have started to open window everyday. There is always lots of condensation.

I think I will have to get some one to check the guttering as it has been a wet year. Otherwise I think some of the faschias (sp?) or what ever the wooden bit is called may need replaacing. Anyone know roughly how much this costs?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.