Threads

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Shellac/Stain Blocker for Furniture - recommendations?

EdinaMonsoon · 18/08/2020 15:37

I started painting a pine dresser with chalk paint and it's become clear that I need to add a shellac/stain blocker layer. I have been looking at two products by Zinsser - BIN and Bulls Eye 123 but I have no direct experience of either.

Any recommendations?

TIA!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Zandana123 · 18/08/2020 21:51

I've used both, the bin is oil based and will ruin your paint brushes 😀

It's really thin, and dries quickly so you have to be quick to get a decent cover without going over patches and ruining the texture. Sand lightly anyway afterwards so not the end of the world.

123 I've used as a general primer

Please
or

EdinaMonsoon · 19/08/2020 11:24

Thanks @Zandana123

On the Annie Sloan website they recommend applying shellac with a cloth pad so hopefully that will save some of my brushes!

I'm assuming the BE123 is more a general primer then? Rather than being effective in blocking bleed through staining?

Have you used any other knotting solutions? I'm getting so confused with online research Confused

OP's posts:
Please
or

Kamma89 · 19/08/2020 11:50

I'd go bin. Never had anything bleed through. It's a pain to apply as so thin, but is touch dry in 15 mins! I found applying with foam roller or foam brush gave best finish. Go cheap, as it's not worth trying to clean them after!

Please
or

Zandana123 · 19/08/2020 13:46

I stripped the paint off our door frames with a heat gun and scraper and spot primed with BIN, primed with 123, and painted in f and b Wimborne white. So far so good

Please
or

Zandana123 · 19/08/2020 13:47

Spot priming was over the knots

Please
or

wowfudge · 19/08/2020 13:51

I favour an easy life, hate sanding@Kamma89 and have found both Zinsser primers great. You need methylated spirits to clean your brushes if you use the shellac one. I second @Kamma89's suggestion of using a foam roller - the sort sold for gloss paint or varnish - on flat areas. I've used the primer on a varnished dark wood stained fire surround then painted it in water based satinwood paint and for numerous other jobs. It's well worth the money.

Please
or

wowfudge · 19/08/2020 13:52

Apologies for the rogue first tag in my post Kamma89.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.