Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features


If house is already on the market and you change agents do you need a HIP?

10 replies

StripeyKnickersSpottySocks · 15/08/2007 12:22

I didn't think you did, but mum's new estate agent says she has got get a Home Information Pack done.

OP posts:

mankyscotslass · 15/08/2007 12:48

I think it is applicable to any house an estate agent takes onto their books after the "go live" date. So if she changes estate agents after that date then it is applicable although the house is not "new" to the market. At least that is what my friend was told when she was considering chaning estate agents. But that could have been the estate agent not wanting her to move .....


forsale · 15/08/2007 12:50

HIPs are compulsory for 4+ bed houses not for below 4 beds yet


WanderingTrolley · 15/08/2007 12:52

I think the criteria involves the date the house went on the market, not the specific agent iyswim.

If the house was on the market before the 'go live' date, she may not need one.


Fimbo · 15/08/2007 12:55

We put our house on the market in February and were told that as long as it had sold by December we wouldn't need one. (sold in March!). But I think the new ruling is that all 4 bed's need one.


LIZS · 15/08/2007 12:56

I would guess that if it is a new contract yes.


Fimbo · 15/08/2007 13:00

Found this:-

What do I do if my house was on the market before the 1 August?
Properties that are genuinely on the market before the commencement date (i.e. 1 August for sales of homes with four or more bedrooms) will not need a Pack. This exemption will apply for as long as marketing continues but the Government may appoint a date at which all properties on the market will be subject to the HIP duties, regardless of when they were first marketed.

It doesn't look like your mum needs one then Spotty Knicks


Tinker · 15/08/2007 13:04

Just looked this up (as will affect us soon) and think I read teh same link as Fimbo. If teh marketing of teh hosue was before 1 August, and a change of agent doesn't lead to a break in that marketing, I woudl interpet that as not needing a HIP. The compilation of the HIP stuff can be done by anyone


mankyscotslass · 15/08/2007 13:34

Just looked myself, and all the stuff states that if proprty is "continuously marketed" then HIP not required if property was on the market before the live date. My concern would be that some estate agents (like my friends) are obviously saying that by changing agents the continuity breaks down, as you have a new contract with another agent? But i am not sure of the legality of that?


StripeyKnickersSpottySocks · 15/08/2007 16:10


Where did you find that info as my mum's new estate agent is obviosuly telling her a load of rubbish. Thanks

OP posts:

StripeyKnickersSpottySocks · 15/08/2007 16:21

Ah, found it myself now. Thanks though.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?