Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Fused spur and washing machine-help!

Haribolover · 19/03/2018 22:09

We’ve just moved into a new build house and there is no plug socket for the washing machine. There’s what seems to be an I switched fused spur (blank socket type cover with fuse in it). The builders say we just undo this and wire in. We took and the front off and it looks like you just put it the earth, neutral and love wires but there is nowhere for the cable to go if you screw the cover back on the wall. I am soooo not DIY minded and this is stressing me out-2 toddlers and need to do washing.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MsHomeSlice · 19/03/2018 22:16

is there not a space in the box in the wall that the front part fixes to?

I'd have expected there to be a proper plug socket behind the machine for the washer, and then your switched spur above the worktop so that you can easily turn the power off without having to drag the machine out in a hurry

Wiring your machine into that seems pretty shoddy, and not up to standard at all if it's a newbuild.

Please
or

Haribolover · 19/03/2018 22:20

There’s a switch for it by the worktop but this low down where you’d plug it in. I can’t see anywhere where the cable would go which would allow you to screw the panel back on the wall.

OP's posts:
Please
or

nemno · 19/03/2018 22:26

Is it a blank socket cover because the previous occupant didn't use that socket and it was easier to blank it off than remove it?

Please
or

Haribolover · 19/03/2018 22:36

The front looks like this. It’s a brand new house too.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ohhdear · 19/03/2018 22:37

You need to swap that for a socket so you can plug the washing machine in. Definately don't go wiring straight into that.

Please
or

johnd2 · 19/03/2018 23:17

Agreed, swap to a socket, there's no need for a fused connection unit unless you have space issues.
The main thing is turn off the power completely, use a voltmeter (should be rated CAT III or above) to test for voltage against earth.
Then unscrew the three terminals and replace with a socket, making sure the polarity is correct.
Finally screw back to the wall and ideally check the basics with a socket tester as soon as you reenergise.
Hope that makes sense.

Please
or

Feezles · 20/03/2018 09:58

We're in a (relatively) new build house, 10 years old. All the appliances were hard wired into the mains, just like this, and not connected via a socket. I think it is considered 'safer' (because we poor unqualified plebs cannot be trusted with something as complicated as plugsHmm), and it was a complete pain in the ass. We've switched them all for sockets now, but you do need an electrician for that.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.