Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Which side of house is best to be North or South facing?

KnackersYard · 07/05/2015 11:17

Just house hunting and would love opinions on this!

If you imagine a very standard Victorian terrace/semi or 1930s semi, with 3 or 4 bedrooms, where the living room is at the front of the house, and the kitchen and dining room is often at the back. Similarly - master bedroom and one more bedroom most likely to be at the front of the house; bathroom and other bedroom at the back.

Is it more important to have the front of the house sunny (living room), or the back (kitchen)?

We're not able to buy a house with a very big garden, but would like a smallish one.

What are people's views on this?

And if it's a choice between east and west - which side of the house is better off facing east, which side west?

All views grately appreciated!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Twasthecatthatdidit · 07/05/2015 21:19

We have a small narrow 50 foot long garden, North facing (well NNW). Not what we would have picked but we panicked somewhat with prices rising! Haven't been here long but I do wish for a south or west facing garden. Prefer our garden to an East facing garden. Back Garden gets no sunlight at all for roughly 3 months of the year (which is depressing but also the time least likely to use it), then once the clocks go back it gets sun all day to around 7. We're hoping to raise patio near house and cut down trees to get more evening light. Kitchen is currently very dark - hoping to put in skylights big windows etc. the cons can be designed around - but certainly covet a wide 100ft SW garden!

Please
or

Twasthecatthatdidit · 07/05/2015 21:24

Actually our last garden was SW but was tiny - maybe 20 foot long - and overshadowed by neighbours tree so got no sun after 5.30. Nice sunny kitchen though - miss that!

Please
or

PigletJohn · 07/05/2015 23:45

It's nice to have a bedroom facing East. You can have the warm sun waking you.

If you don't like that, fit thick curtains.

Please
or

CobblerBob · 08/05/2015 00:20

I have a south facing garden and the living room is at the back of the house with direct access to the garden. If it wasn't for the fact we have a sodding great tree in a neighbour's garden we'd have sun most if the day. As it is, we lose it around 6pm and I'd love to have evening sun. But said neighbour, who doesn't even live there, is a total arse and won't agree to getting it cut back, despite the fact that half is dead and just covered in ivy. I totally discount north facing gardens as I'd rather have a south or west one than a better house which probably seems bizarre.

I like my sunny bedroom and living room. My kitchen looks out onto a hill which is in clear light so it doesn't feel so dark.

Please
or

JemimaPuddled · 08/05/2015 00:26

We had a 1930s semi, east front, west facing back garden, was lovely. Wake to the sunshine in the windows and summer evenings in the garden with a beer on the patio or kids playing out.
Current house has a due south back garden. It's chosen for its position but jury still out on how good it actually is in reality, the conservatory could well turn into an oven Hmm

Please
or

LikeASoulWithoutAMind · 08/05/2015 00:27

My preference would be West if I had the choice.

Last garden was North facing though and yet was a complete suntrap in the height of summer. We set the main seating area slightly away from the house and it got sun all day. Plus the view out of the window was of lovely sunny beds crammed full of flowers.

The downside was the kitchen could feel a little dark. It was a Victorian house though and the Victorians preferred their kitchens North facing as it helped keep them cool.

Please
or

BitOfFun · 08/05/2015 00:58

I have a Victorian terrace with a back yard courtyard garden that faces south-east. As it's sheltered, I can grow quite a lot of plants, but that would be increased if the back was more straightforwardly south-facing. The shadows cast in a small enclosed space make a big difference to warmth and light.

Northern light at the front of the house (the main bedroom and the main living room) is consistent and clear, bar some teatime low direct sunlight which just interferes with the telly, frankly...I really think that sunshine and light over your garden is more important.

Please
or

beansagain · 08/05/2015 08:05

OP, you can get a compass app on your phone - very handy for viewings. Good luck!

Please
or

echt · 08/05/2015 08:28

YY to what PigletJohn said about a bedroom facing full east. Ours at the back of house does, and we get the sunrise all year as it moves back and forth. Being Australia, a sunny deck for barbies has limited uses, so the cool of an east facing deck, well-shaded is lovely while looking into the sunny garden.

When we were in the UK, our house had the same east west configuration, and very often we were grateful for the cool living room at the height of summer. As others have suggested, we had a sunny sitting out area at the back of the long garden. So true about overshadowing, length of garden, etc can all affect the sun you get.

Please
or

vienaa · 08/05/2015 09:23

We have a North facing garden, I like it, we do have a pretty big garden 110ft and we sit outside from May (when we bring the garden furniture out) till end of September (when we bring it back in) we also have a over ground pool no heating in it and we use it special June and July and Aug.... I have friends that have south facing gardens and they do complain how hot it does get.....

Please
or

honeyandfizz · 08/05/2015 10:44

We had a south east facing garden in our Edwardian semi. No sun in the lounge (our main room) until around 4pm - it was stone cold all the time so we moved. Our house now has an east facing garden so the sun moves round to the front later in the day. We have a raised deck area at the top of the garden so we can make the Most of the sun all day.

Please
or

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog · 08/05/2015 19:51

Our current house has a South facing garden and as it's built into the side of a hill virtually all the windows face South. It's a long, tall, but only one room deep house that has just three small windows facing North and one each facing East/West.

This does create quite an unusual effect as the South side has masses of windows and the South facing sides of the rooms are very bright - for example our kitchen has French doors, another fully glazed door and two windows overlooking the garden - but the North sides of the rooms are considerably darker. Not to everyone's taste obviously and at the moment - with all the wet/cold weather we're getting - the house is very chilly inside.

The - partially walled - garden, which is very wide but only around 75' long, does get quite a bit of sun, but we do have masses of mature trees so we also get lots of dappled shade, which we prefer. If we do want to sit in full sun, the terrace gets sunshine most of the day if it ever stops bloody raining.

Our previous garden was also South facing - it was much larger, being a rural property, but as overall it had less large trees you could roast out there on a hot day. We had a hot tub and tbh, even with the shade sail we fitted over it, it was unbearable in the Summer months (even with the temp turned down) and we tended to use it more in Winter......

Previously we've had East facing gardens and one that fully wrapped around the house - which would have been good but the PO had sold off portions of the garden leaving only 20' depth at the widest point all round, leaving the house very overlooked.

Please
or

specialsubject · 08/05/2015 19:52

east facing bedroom is indeed great for early risers. If you want the kids to be awake a 5am in summer, stick them in there. Otherwise you'll need blackout blind AND thick curtains with a proper pelmet, not silly poles.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.