My feed

to access all these features

Join our Primary Education forum to discuss starting school and helping your child get the most out of it.

Primary education

What is 'best practice' for teaching yr2 ?

20 replies

buy1get1free · 09/09/2009 17:06

Just a quickie for anyone (teachers?) who may be in the know. Who is qualified to teach a year 2 class? I ask this question because my child's class are being taught for 2 days a week by the class T/A and an NVQ level 3 assistant. (The remainder of the week is spent with a supply teacher covering for 5 months.) I personally have no problem as I think both are great, but other parents seem to be concerned that they are not 'qualified' enough and now I feel I should be worried. Is it allowed or does it depend on individual schools ? Thanks.

OP posts:
Hulababy · 09/09/2009 17:09

Depends what level the TA is, and what the difference between a TA and a level 3 assistant is (in my school they are one and the same person).

Overmydeadbody · 09/09/2009 17:09

Depends who does the actualy lesson plans really. Presumably a teacher is still doing those and the lessons are just being delivered by the TA and NVQ people (who are qualified to work with children).

Overmydeadbody · 09/09/2009 17:10

Why don't you ask the head of the school?

Hulababy · 09/09/2009 17:12

A level 3 TA/LSA wouldn't be allowed to take that many lessons I don't think.

hocuspontas · 09/09/2009 17:18

The TA should have HLTA status (Higher Level Teaching Assistant). They can take lessons and often plan them, although the plans are generally done by a teacher. I don't know if there is a limit to how many hours a week they can be in the classroom without a teacher present. I think YR have to always have a qualified teacher present but this is not necessary for KS1.

It's possible though that the TA is a qualified teacher from her previous life before children and chooses to work as a TA at the moment to ease herself back into the classroom!

bigchris · 09/09/2009 17:20

i think it sounds a bit crap, maybe they cant afford to pay a teacher so are paying TAs instead?

Hulababy · 09/09/2009 17:22

Level 3 TA/LSAs can take lessons to cover PPA but I think it is limited to how much, not sure how much though.

Even if the TA/LSA has QTS though, unless they are employed for that reason then they shouldn't be teaching. I have discovered that recently. There is always the case that the TAs T&C have changed to reflect the change in status/role.

buy1get1free · 09/09/2009 18:01

Thank you all - some varying replies.

OMDB A parent has asked the head and he replied they could do as they wish as they were a 'foundation' school Not sure what this means to be honest.

Hocus The T/A is a young lass who is currently doing her teacher training - I don't know if she is a higher level T/A though.

They definitely cannot afford to pay for a fully qualified teacher all week at the moment (rather short of cash I heard), so maybe this is why. I'll pass on your comments to our class rep who has had the brunt of the other parents questions. I would have directed them to the teachers personally. Thanks again!

OP posts:
Overmydeadbody · 09/09/2009 18:34

I'm not sure what that means either. What a way to reply to a parent!

If the TA is doing her teacher training it might be that she has to do a certain amount of the teaching to clocke up her teaching practice, so that should be ok, but I'd be concerned if this was a long term plan as I'd want my child to be taught by a Teacher, not A TA.

mrz · 09/09/2009 18:49

Legally a TA /NVQ level 3 assistant /HLTA etc. can only cover a class for a total of two days absence (emergency cover - unexpected absence) then the school should employ a qualified supply teacher.

CybilLiberty · 09/09/2009 18:52

But if she is doing her teaching practice and it sounds like it is, i don't see why it's a problem.

Hulababy · 09/09/2009 19:04

Trainee teachers must be supervised by a class teacher. They shouldn't be left alone for any substantial periods of time.

hocuspontas · 09/09/2009 19:33

bogof - is it possible that another teacher is in the classroom that you are not aware of when the TA is doing her teaching practice?

Littlefish · 09/09/2009 19:48

I don't think that's true Hulababy. On my final teaching practice, I had to do 80% of the classteaching. This was done without the classteacher in the room. My planning was scrutinised by the class teacher and I had the opportunity to discuss each teaching session with her at some point in the day.

Hulababy · 09/09/2009 19:59

Things may have changed. I did mine a few years ago now. But my understanding is that unqualified teachers should be supervised during teaching practises. In practise this is not often the case. However I would not be happy with my DD being taught for lengthy periods of time by an unqualified teacher.

mrz · 09/09/2009 20:07

Even if the TA is doing her teacher training (is she working as a TA or is she a student teacher? - she can't be both)Student teachers can not be used to cover for teacher absences.

buy1get1free · 09/09/2009 21:10

Mrz To clarify .... the T/A is employed as a T/A, but is also doing teacher training which she has been doing for some time. The 2 days a week is for the next 5 months & supply teacher being used for other 3 days of the week.
OMDB I was also a bit shocked at the heads comment, but this seems to be their reply when questioned about any practices I am not fully aware of what 'foundation' status means - maybe the lack of scrutiny etc by an LEA is the reason they have financial 'problems' How can I find out what the legal requirement is ? LEA ? OFFSTED ?

OP posts:
buy1get1free · 10/09/2009 10:00

Update ..... just spoke to LEA and Teachers support line. LEA said the T/A should only take the class in emergencies and not over a long term period and Teachers Support line said they were more than qualified to take the class for a set number of months to provide cover. So there you have it - clarification from one department not knowing what the other is doing Bloody typical

OP posts:
mrz · 10/09/2009 16:43

foundation schools are really a cross between a maintained and private school. the building is owned by the "foundation" but the cost of education is paid by the LA.

buy1get1free · 10/09/2009 17:00

None of what I was told still clarifies what is legally allowed .... unless they have to 'wing it' in education because the alternative would be to send the kids home anyway, thanks for all your feed back, should arm me for next PTA meet where I know there will be nough said

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.