My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Primary Education forum to discuss starting school and helping your child get the most out of it.

Primary education

ds(6) just doesn't get maths :(

22 replies

southeastastra · 21/05/2008 17:46

school are worried, he can do it a little one day then forgets the next. they want to get a ed pysch to him.

any suggestions.

OP posts:
barnical · 21/05/2008 17:57

I wouldn't worry about the psch ed seeing him. he won't be stresed about it and it may highlight why he is having problems.

My suggestion would be in the meantime... get the sweets out.

jelly tots or something small like them that you'd be happy with for Ds.
do the maths with the sweets.. he can learn by actually handling the numbers etc, it will make it some thing real to him rather than an abstract concept as such. then let him eat them when his finished a short maths session with you.. big treat!!

southeastastra · 21/05/2008 18:04

i just can't work out why he gets it the forgets it. i'll get some jelly babies that may motivate him.

OP posts:
Doodle2U · 21/05/2008 18:06

Can you do some of the maths at home with him - we were doing halves/quarters etc. We made a victoria sponge and I got DS to cut it, so he could 'see' what we were explaining.

When we measured out ingredients, we got to talk about double/twice as much as etc.

Practical help might work better with your DS?

southeastastra · 21/05/2008 18:12

thats a good idea doodle. i really want him to get it. he'll be going into year 3 sept.

OP posts:
MumRum · 21/05/2008 18:12

I think this is common in lots of children... some of them need to go over it again and again till it clicks... can you see what they're doing at school and reinforce it at home, ie number snap, before and after numbers, taking away, more and less.. what year is he in, and what exactly does he find hard

barnical · 21/05/2008 18:13

MY Ds1 had to handle letters to get spelling.. we used fridge magnets and the alphabet candy letters.. DS2 and DD had issues with maths and we used the same tactic but with jelly tots.
The eating it afterwards keeps them going and touching or actually seeing does seem to work, well, for my dc's.

southeastastra · 21/05/2008 18:20

i don't really understand how they do it in school tbh, it's so different to how i was taught. i will try the cakes and sweets route. teacher seems quite concerned.

OP posts:
MumRum · 21/05/2008 18:24

so.. what year is he in... what is he doing at the moment that he finds hard?

southeastastra · 21/05/2008 18:26

he's in year 2. i was looking at his book, really though he seems to struggle with all of it. the basic addition and subtraction.

OP posts:
Buda · 21/05/2008 18:29

I have a thread going on the same subject SEA. See here. Some good suggestions for helping them along.

Miggsie · 21/05/2008 18:35

try board games: dice and numbers and counting to win a game. This might help too.
They might be teaching it in a really boring way which won't help either.

southeastastra · 21/05/2008 18:35

oh buda i'm glad i'm not alone! will have a good look, son is a late july birthday too

OP posts:
southeastastra · 21/05/2008 18:38

thinking about it, i hardly ever play games with him. i really did think he'd just get it at school. i got a tutor for him for a few weeks too, she just thought it was his concentration but i just don't know.

OP posts:
southeastastra · 21/05/2008 18:52

and threads like this one are making me feel even worse. he's only just got reading

OP posts:
barnical · 21/05/2008 19:01

south your DS is your ds and great no matter what. Don't worry about others honestly he'll get it.. just in his own time. Parents are a right nightmare at comparing their Dcs.
But at the end of the day whether they did things quickly, slowly were G&T or not they will all end up with prospects of a job, a morgage a car to pay off and all end up worrying about their own DCs.
Long as our Dcs are happy most of the time it doesn't really matter who read first, who had his GCSE maths at 4 years old or who got what grade.
big smiles for you, you are doing a good job because you care.

MegSophandEmma · 21/05/2008 19:08

Hi I was always the same as your son. Even now at 29 I can do well in class its there but as soon as I leave it just goes and I forget everything I have learnt. Not through lazyness but it just happens. I wish someone helped me at school getting your wee man help will do wonders I am sure. At school I was put in the bottom group and was constantly sent out for disruptive behaviour due to lack of support I gave up on myself.

southeastastra · 21/05/2008 19:11

thanks barnical, he's playing in his sandpit in the sun now. i spend so much time worrying about him i sometimes forget that he's just a little chap who really just wants to play dr who

OP posts:
southeastastra · 21/05/2008 19:12

meg, i forget stuff too, he's probably more like me

OP posts:
MegSophandEmma · 21/05/2008 19:12

Also I don't know if its any consolation but I bet he is more creative and will fly in subjects like English and the arts. I am sure I have read it is to do with the side of the brain which tends to get used more, whether you are academic or more creative. Or maybe I am imagining it lol. Please excuse my writing lol I have brain freeze with exams Arghhhhh.

barnical · 21/05/2008 19:13

That's okay.. they're only little for a very short time.. it's hard but try and enjoy it.
just keep on top of what is going on at school and help him where you can.

MegSophandEmma · 21/05/2008 19:15

Oh SEA no sad faces. At least it can be dealt with at such a young age. That's brilliant! He will have the capabilities I am sure!!! But may just take a while to sink in. DS will be fine!!!!

southeastastra · 21/05/2008 19:19

thanks all

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.