My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Primary Education forum to discuss starting school and helping your child get the most out of it.

Primary education

DD apprehensive about Year 1 as says they'll have "too much hard work"

31 replies

dinny · 26/08/2007 11:57

Blooming school rearing its head already, can't believe it! Reception teacher has been telling them all last term that there is lots of work in Year 1 and dd is panicking. Feel like she's being over-faced and will be put off work entirely as she is losing confidence.

Anyone any advice? Thanks, Dinny

OP posts:
onlyWotz · 26/08/2007 12:00

Reassurance, Reassurance and more Reassurance that you will be there to help her at anytime, whatever it is.

And help her with her reading, spend time on that.

dinny · 26/08/2007 12:05

is it usual for them to feel so apprehensive, you think?

just have doubts about the school - it is a very high-achieving school, academically, but feel dd is struggling really. I help her as much as I can but she is v reluctant to do much reading (of school books), she automatically switches off and I don't want to try and make her. She LOVES being read to - she just finds schoolwork totally repellent, it would seem at the moment.

sorry, wittering post!

OP posts:
dinny · 26/08/2007 12:07

also, they have a supply teacher for Year One (newly qualified teacher, seemed v nice according to their prev reception teacher) so I suppose there is a bit of apprehension for everyone....

OP posts:
hercules1 · 26/08/2007 12:09

PArt of the reason we went for the schools we did for ds was because all though they perform well academically they are not top performing and not at all pushy. We did consider pushy type schools but decided we didnt want this for him. It's hard though to predict the future and you know her best.

Agree with lots of reassurance but I have seen very unhappy children in top performing schools who although bright werent as academic as their peers.

dinny · 26/08/2007 12:14

yes, I kind of didn't consider that - foolishly, though it is a village school and we live in the village, so it'd be hard on dd to go elsewhere, iykwim.

she is bright but more imaginative and creative - have just signed her up for Stagecoach which I hope will help her realise it's not all about what colour book box you are on.

I know you can't know our situation from this thread, but we are moving area in 2009, so dd will only be at this school until she has finished Year 2 - would you look to change her now or keep her where she is for the next 2 years?? Thanks, D

OP posts:
LIZS · 26/08/2007 12:15

it just means the balance between play and work shifts a bit and they are expected to concentrate for longer at something and be a bit more independent. It starts fof pretty gently though and I'm sure they will go over what they have learnt in Reception again intitially. Encourage her to ask the teacher or put her hand up whenever she needs help or doesn't understand what she is expected to do. Remind her it is not a test and she should n't feel worried if she finds things she doesn't "get" initially and everyone feels the same at some point. Does she know her new teacher ?

LIZS · 26/08/2007 12:17

posts x'd. I've never go the impression it is a particualrly academic school. Child you joined dd's class from there (iirc) is pretty average. Would n't move her if you only plan to have 2 years left .

tigerschick · 26/08/2007 12:18

I'd leave her where she is. As you say, we don't know all that is going on but it is, IME, common for children to be apprehensive before moving to a new 'stage'. It is quite possible that she will love her new teacher and will become very happy once she is back. Maybe ask her if she would like you to talk to her teacher. It would be quite easy for you to send in a note early on - but probably not the first day - asking if you can bob in for a quick chat. If you do this, I'd keep it as informal as possible, and I'd only do it if your dd wants you to.
Hope that things settle down once term starts

dinny · 26/08/2007 12:19

Hi, LIZS, feel like I'm always banging on about school on here!

It's amazing just how academic a LOT of the class is - so it seems everywhere she looks there are kids reading years above their age and it really doesn't do much for her confidence! And also the majority are autumn birthdays, don't know if that has anything to do with it but dd (May) seems so much younger and more sort of babyish (in a nice way!)

They have met the supply teacher for an afternoon and dd said she seems nice.

OP posts:
dinny · 26/08/2007 12:21

LIZS, no, I hadn't before we started - maybe it is just our particular year group. I'd have been delighted that it was a high-achieving group before I saw dd lose confidence, iykwim (do you mean someone from our school joined yours?)

OP posts:
LIZS · 26/08/2007 12:22

You may find they do mroe ability group work so she isn't as aware of the differences whcih helps confidence. Also some children suddenly just flourish with reading etc coming on quickly and then they can outstrip those who have been reading well all along.

LIZS · 26/08/2007 12:23

yes child transferred around Christmas into dd's class (she's about to start Year 2).

dinny · 26/08/2007 12:23

oh, hope so

an aside - what days you swimming this term?

OP posts:
dinny · 26/08/2007 12:23

oooh, wonder who. do you know why they moved her?

OP posts:
hercules1 · 26/08/2007 12:25

I would keep her there then tbh especially if it is your local village school for now.

LIZS · 26/08/2007 12:27

him ! Mum works FT and commutes so logistically it worked better, I think, since ours has before/after school care on site. Not sure if that was the only reason.

We're swimming on Tuesdays - ds 4.30, dd 5 - you ?

dinny · 26/08/2007 12:29

oh, we on Mondays this term!

ds Tuesdays but at lunchtime

think there have been a lot of school politics going on lately at ours...

OP posts:
Dottydot · 26/08/2007 12:32

Aarrggghhh - ds1 has said EXACTLY the same thing to me! He got very worried at the end of reception year as they went to the year 1 classroom for part of a day (I think - tricky to get information out of him) and he thinks his year 1 teachers "looks strict" and he's going to have to "do lots of work".

Bless. I've been trying to reassure him, and the holidays have helped - we're not talking about school yet... But I think nothing's going to help until he actually goes back and realises he'll be OK (please God they don't do much other than play in the first few days).

dinny · 26/08/2007 12:35

Dottydot, sounds like dd - so hard to get any info about school out of her!

God, wish they just did half days till they were 7/8!

OP posts:
Dottydot · 26/08/2007 12:37

Now I wouldn't go that far! Ds1 loves school - after much fretting from us that he wouldn't manage it - he was/is soooooo shy, but the structure and routine of school suits him down to the ground.

He's 'behind' with his reading, which I know he worries about (we don't - but he's a perfectionist!), but it was kind of starting to click in the last term of reception. We haven't read a jot over the holidays (bad Mummies)...

dinny · 26/08/2007 12:45

yes, we've not done much school reading over hols - dd is so into Roald Dahl, as is ds!

OP posts:
chipkid · 26/08/2007 13:13

my ds's face was a picture when he stormed into his year 1 classroom at the start of last year. His excited and joyful face immediately fell as he shouted out "where is the sand tray"

It took his a couple of weeks to realise that school actually meant sitting down and working-he complained bitterly that the work got in the way of his social life! but quickly knuckled down to it!

suspect that when he starts year 2 in september there will be a similar pattern!

dinny · 26/08/2007 13:29

Oh, bless him! DD found Reception hard enough compared to nursery. Says that they did too much work then!

OP posts:
hinkyminky · 03/09/2007 20:00

We start back Wednesday and am nervous - not sure why!

LIZS · 03/09/2007 20:02

When are yours back, Dinny ?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.