I have thought so much about this that I have done my head in and got myself in a state of deep undecision... which school would you choose.
-Excellent Ofsted report, everything has a grade 1 (outstanding), the only thing to improve mentioned in the report is that some small children have to understand why they need to wash their hands.
- Excellent policy to deal with food allergies (DS has plenty of them including peanut allergy). more than 10 members of staff trained in Epipen use, a very knowledgeable and proactive cook, and an absolute zero tolerance of nut products in the school (I have seem them throw a good fuss after an almond was found in the perimeters)
- Very multicultural. A large number of expat's children.
- Small groups with plenty of personalised attention (each class has a teacher, an assistant and a student teacher)
- Long drive to it (30 mins aprox)
- Only covers up to Year 2.
- DS has been attending it for a year but doesn't seem to have totally settled in it (he is a bit shy and says that there are "too many children" in it. But... is such a small school!)
- Not exactly the best of customer service from office staff. Communication is a bit of a mine land.
- Good Ofsted report. Grade 2 (good)in almost everything but attendance and some deficiencies in writing.
- Nearest to our house (across the street) which make it a more sociable option in terms of having little friends around. Although... DS is not exactly an outgoing friendly child anyway
- Twice as many pupils per class and less than a third of the staff.
- There's no such a thing as an allergy policy, they would do their best but, considering the size of the school, it wouldn't be fair of me to expect them to be as "precise" on keeping DS safe as in the other school.
- We have no guarantee whatsoever that DS is going to be better/more freindly in this school. Or that we are going to feel better about it than about the other.
So the question is, almost perfect school a long way away, or average-I-don't-know-much about-this-school-or-how-my-child-will-be-in-it across the street?