My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join our Primary Education forum to discuss starting school and helping your child get the most out of it.

Primary education

Year 6 Science homework....

8 replies

katelyle · 07/05/2007 06:30

"Make a Parachute"

Anybody got any beyond the obvious peice of fabric several bits of string and a very light soft toy?

OP posts:
popsycal · 07/05/2007 06:56

ooooh i have set this before

the ones that work best (IME) is using a carrier bag using as big a surface area you can (the bigger the surface area the greater the air resistance).

Experiment with the length of the string to which you attach your weight to aswell.

have fun

katelyle · 07/05/2007 07:10

I've just found a site that shows you how to make a Leonardo-style pointy top parachute - we might make a few and have a play (weather's horrible here today, so there's nothing else to do!) Would you expect yours to be able to talk intelligently (sort of) about how parachutes work and why some are better than others, or would you talk about that when you see what they've made?

Thanks for the carrier bag idea - don't know why I didn't think of that!

OP posts:
popsycal · 07/05/2007 07:54

yes you would expect them to be able to do that.......espeically with SATS looming in a week!

Give me a shout if you need a hand

katelyle · 07/05/2007 08:13

Thanks again! You know, I had completely forgotten about SATS - what sort of a bad mother am I!!!!!

OP posts:
Blandmum · 07/05/2007 08:18

Dob'e use material, use the tinniest tissue paper you can get. Attach a marble to the bottom using cling flim. Make it as big as you can. You want to aim for maximum drag and upthrust and minimum mass.

popsycal · 07/05/2007 09:23

martianbishop knows better than me
she teaches big kids

Blandmum · 07/05/2007 09:32

We made a great one out of the thin tissue papaer yuo can use to wrap up gifts. You want a very large surface area and the smallest mass you can possibly get.

Kids tend to want to over complicate things, but all that does is to increase the mass.

Rectangle of tissue paper. Threads in each corner. Cling flim to 'tie' the passenger in. If you want to be clever you can re-inforce the tissue paper using those hole punch re-inforcer rings where you put the threads.

Try making different sizes and see which star up longest

katelyle · 07/05/2007 09:40

Thank you - I think we're going to have an interesting day! I've got some wonderful tissue paper with stars on (combining dt and science!) and I think if she'd like to we'll make the Leonardo one as well. And maybe one out of a carrier bag.....

What was that you said about KIDS making things complicated..............!!!!!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.