Are your children’s vaccines up to date?

Set a reminder

Please or to access all these features

Primary education

Join our Primary Education forum to discuss starting school and helping your child get the most out of it.

in year transfers - still waiting for letter from the council

6 replies

Aroha82 · 25/09/2017 14:59

We recently moved back to UK, straight away we've filed an application (beginning of Aug) it's end of Sep and my 6 year old still sits at home as we are waiting for the admission letter. Is it normal that they allow your child stay away from school for a month? Tried to contact them but they don't reply to emails, when I finally got hold of someone over the phone she said " letters were poster last wee and you should receive it soon Sorry"

OP posts:
Are your children’s vaccines up to date?
PatriciaHolm · 25/09/2017 15:02

Realistically they won't have known for certain what spaces they had during the summer holidays, unless there are schools near you which are very undersubscribed. In most areas, they would have needed to wait until the schools were all back (3 weeks here not a month) to check, and even then, if someone doesn't turn up, they can't just give the place away until they are sure they aren't coming back.

3 weeks, if the letter was posted last week, isn't too bad in an area where schools are usually full.

ifink · 25/09/2017 15:54

I would keep calling the LEA and chasing. We had this when we moved back in January (applied for schools in the previous November!) and heard nothing. Yes, they will let kids sit at home waiting....we just had DS at home for 2 weeks at the start of this term whilst waiting for an appeal, it is ridiculous but nothing unusual I'm afraid

Aroha82 · 25/09/2017 17:44

thank you for your comments. were we lived children were attending the school within the catchment area A child was always able to go school It's wrong that the council allows such a situation

OP posts:
prh47bridge · 25/09/2017 22:33

It isn't as simple as the council allowing the situation. Tony Blair changed the law to stop schools having more than 30 in a class in Reception, Y1 or Y2. Once the school reaches that limit they cannot admit any more children other than in a few special cases. If that is the situation with your catchment school there is nothing your council can do about it. Admitting one extra child would need another teacher and, quite possibly, a portakabin to accommodate an additional class. The funding for one additional child doesn't get anywhere near covering that.

MollyHuaCha · 25/09/2017 22:40

Hope your child has a school place soon. I know of children who have been in this situation for months.,

Gatochat · 25/09/2017 22:46

Yep, been there and done that myself.

We were in the same situation as you. Moved back to uk early Aug, applied for schools straightaway but was told I have to wait till schools to open then they'll start allocating places.
Schools started first Monday of Sept, I rang council on tues, was told places are offered every Friday.
I missed their opening hours on Friday (9-12 only, serious?!) but I kept checking their website for their updated school vacancy list which was not updated until next Monday morning. I rang the council again and was told results were posted and had to wait for the stupid letter. And then a few hours later, I received a phone call from school arranging a visit!!!! What a pleasure surprise! DD was at school the next day!

The stupid letter from the council didn't arrive until almost a week later. I hope you will get contacted the school soon. the council must have offered you a school since your child doesn't have one yet.
Good luck!

New posts on this thread. Refresh page
Swipe left for the next trending thread