Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Uniform advice - socks and pinafores

thetropicmama7 · 28/08/2014 14:51

DD is about to start Reception and I know this may seem such a random question but I would really appreciate advice on which type and where to get school socks. They are allowed black or white, which would you recommend for a DD who would be wearing mostly navy and is generally quite neat and tidy? We also have the issue of knee socks that won't stay up-where can I find ones that will? I know it will depend on sizing and style but I would be grateful for anyone who can share what worked for them Smile On the pinafore front: I was amazed on how many different ones there are! jersey/zip-up/double breasted/bib style...but really, what would work well with polo tshirts?

OP's posts:
Please
or

gymboywalton · 28/08/2014 14:52

go for white socks and in the winter black tights rather than knee socks

Please
or

manchestermummy · 28/08/2014 14:55

I've bought socks anywhere and eveywhere and can't say I have a favourite! I don't know about knee socks that stay up: do they have to have knee socks? DD1 veers between wearing knee socks and ankle socks, as do her friends.

With pinafores, they all seem to look fine with polo shirts under them and very cute. DD1 won't entertain pinafores Sad.

Please
or

manchestermummy · 28/08/2014 14:57

Can she wear trousers in the winter? DD1 prefers trousers tbh, in which case ankle socks are fine.

Please
or

OwlCapone · 28/08/2014 14:59

I get DDs school socks and tights from Primark. She has ruined so many from falling over or catching them on something that "cheap and plentiful" is best!

Pinafores I would go for plain and unfussy with a zip for ease of changing at PE time.

Please
or

thetropicmama7 · 28/08/2014 14:59

She is a bit hesitant about trousers and still struggles with putting on her own tights so I thought knee socks would be a compromise.

OP's posts:
Please
or

KiaOraOAotearoa · 28/08/2014 15:02

When they have PE they need to be able to dress/undress themselves. So pinafore with double breast buttons is going to be a nightmare. Try something simple!
Our school specifies white socks OR navy tights. I always buy from M&S.
The socks with little bows/butterly pattern etc are cute but a nightmare to pair up. Go for plain simple white ones.
Good luck :)

Please
or

thetropicmama7 · 28/08/2014 15:12

Thank you so much for all your brilliant advice! I really appreciate it. Off to search for socks and pinafores tomorrow Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

ErrolTheDragon · 28/08/2014 15:18

If you get black/navy socks, make sure they're the sort with a white strip inside the top (eg M&S) for you to write her name on with a sharpie.

Zip-fronted pinafore, and everything as 'easycare' as possible!

Please
or

noramum · 28/08/2014 15:31

DD wears either grey knee heights with her skirt or pinoforte or grey tights. White socks/knee heights are for Summer dress only/

I found the knee heights and socks from M&S the best. Tights - John Lewis or Sainsbury.

I bought the pinoforte with a zip and maybe a size larger, it is easier to take on and off. Larger only if it doesn't look like a potato bag.

Please
or

ElephantsNeverForgive · 28/08/2014 15:37

Pinafores and tights in no PE days, skirt and socks on PE days

M&S tights are nicest, size up, they are small and DDs wreck them pulling them up if they are difficult.

Trousers are cheaper than tights, they last far longer, especially on falling over YRs.

White socks are pointless, by the end of primary DD2 even wore grey in high summer.

It saves a vast amount of shouting "Do not go out to the trampoline in just your socks!"

Please
or

BuzzardBird · 28/08/2014 15:43

Sainsbury do a 2 pack zip up pinafore for £6 will have two kick pleats which stay in well.Pinafores are great for making your shirts last a little longer as schools don't tend to invest in washable crayons and pens and lunch always seems to include something that won't wash out of white shirts.

I would buy plenty of knee length black socks from asda or tesco as they don't last. White I would forget about until summer term as they get worn without shoes, get shoe polish on them or grime marks you can't get out after a bad weather day.

Please
or

AuditAngel · 28/08/2014 15:48

I make DD wear grey socks in the winter as white never stay that way. We have 2 dogs and the carpets get grubby. Grey hide it better.

Please
or

BramwellBrown · 28/08/2014 16:14

I'd avoid white socks, even with the worlds neatest child a couple of walks to school and days in a wet playground makes them an odd grey colour that will never quite wash out and I'd get a zip up pinafore she can manage by herself.

Please
or

ladybirdandsnails · 28/08/2014 17:01

I go grey or black socks every time - white are a night mare to keep white. They are so cheap I just get tons. Zip up pinafores are best. M&S or tesco do them. My dd wears trousers most of the time anyway - adjustable waist ones just pull up and down

Please
or

Vintagebeads · 28/08/2014 18:37

DD had knee high socks from Aldi and they are great the elastic at the top is great and they stay up.
She is very tall so M&S for tights they are not bad for bobbling .
Pinnys are great for reception i think DD use to get her knickers stuck in skirts alot but with pinafores they drop back down better Grin

Please
or

Galena · 28/08/2014 18:46

DD had white socks last year without a problem, from B&M homestores, of all places!

I preferred the jersey pinafore dresses - much softer than zip up ones and easy enough to get off as they are stretchy.

Please
or

zingally · 28/08/2014 20:09

The little ones in my class find front-zipping dresses MUCH easier to manage than side-zipping ones.

I'd recommend tights, but give your DD some lessons in how to put them the right way in once they've been turned inside out when taking off for PE.

Also, a thick line of bright stitches that DD knows means "this side goes at the back" will also help DD easily identify front from back.

Please
or

thetropicmama7 · 28/08/2014 21:47

Thanks so much! It looks like majority says dark socks and zip up pinafores (with trousers for PE days). This narrows down my shopping list considerably and will save me from buying items which probably won't last/get used much Smile Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

ElephantsNeverForgive · 29/08/2014 00:00

Also don't buy a lot of reception uniform. DCs tend to grow a lot by Y1.

Their their up primary, last years uniform will often do as spares, reception things will be too small.

Please
or

ElephantsNeverForgive · 29/08/2014 00:00

Further up (sorry autocorrect has been drinking)

Please
or

Barbeasty · 29/08/2014 07:10

If you get tights from John Lewis they have a label at the back. So its easy to get them the right way round, and you can write their name on the label.

Please
or

3bunnies · 29/08/2014 19:18

Once you get a feel for the school you might find that you can get away with black leggings & socks instead of tights. Dd2 has been wearing them for two years now. She can't stand tights and doesn't want to wear trousers.

Please
or

nannyj · 30/08/2014 20:47

My daughter has knee socks from marks and spencers and a jersey pinafore from there too. Black or grey tights in the winter.

Please
or

crazykat · 30/08/2014 20:55

I've tried knee socks from most shops, from primark to m&s, and none seem to stay up unless they're either brand new or very tight at the top and therefore uncomfortable.

I'd go with white ankle socks for warm weather and black tights for cold weather.

It doesn't seem to matter where the socks or tights are bought from as to how well they last either. I have found the ones that fold over at the ankle to be a pain to sit right on my DDs, the best ones IMO are the ones the gather at the top which were from bhs, or ones that sit flat and don't fold over IYSWIM.

Please
or

HelpMeGetOutOfHere · 30/08/2014 21:00

Socks from sainsburys or m&s seem to be the best for dd. Primark tights were ok but the fabric wore quickly. The socks were ok though.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.