Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Preteens

How would you deal with this as parent?

6 replies

Lushmetender · 24/07/2021 15:59

Dd just turned 11. She’s been a dreadful eater for years. Had her at dietician when small but they assured me she’s grow out of it and start trying new things as her tastes change and she gets older. Her diet is becoming worse rather than better! She is a really stubborn child but also finds it hard to talk about things and often clams ip. My husband has to remind her to eat in a morning. She would quite happily go the whole day without eating or drinking anything! She never talks about worried about her weight so don’t think it’s that. In the past I’ve asked her why she won’t try new things and she says she’s scared of trying tthem. Would you get her to see a psychologist? She does have issues also with making friends.

OP posts:
Please
or

Mabelface · 24/07/2021 16:38

I would, with a view to being assessed for asd. This is similar to how I was as child. I was diagnosed last year aged 50.

Please
or

BunnyRuddington · 24/07/2021 18:48

I was just going to say exactly the same thing. DD is very similar and is being assessed.

I'd read up on how ASD presents in girls and then speak to the school about your concerns.

Please
or

Aquamarine1029 · 24/07/2021 18:54

She may have ARFID, Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder, and I would have her assessed by a professional as soon as possible.

Please
or

Lushmetender · 24/07/2021 19:01

Thx. Our other dd is being assessed by cahms for different reasons and we did wonder. She is q intelligent and was ok until she started presenting as different!

OP posts:
Please
or

VioletCharlotte · 24/07/2021 19:06

I sympathise as my DS2 was exactly like this. He was ok when he was really small, then got more and more fussy as he got older. By secondary school he used to refuse breakfast and eat nothing/ very little at lunch (he'd play football instead of eat), so went all day without eating. He used to get ill all the time, suffered from migraines, nothing I said made any difference though. He ended up with an iron and B16 deficiency at 16.

Happily he is now much better. Once he left school, he got really into the gym and fitness and now eats a really high protein diet. Hopefully your DD will change, but it's such a worry though.

Please
or

BunnyRuddington · 24/07/2021 19:35

Think my DD was just extremely fussy until she got to puberty. She's probably a bit better with her food now but since puberty started it's becoming increasingly obvious that she may not be neurotypical.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?