My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Connect with others and find premature birth support.

Premature birth

Waters breaking at 31 weeks TRIGGER WARNING PICTURE IN CHAT

11 replies

Johnson31 · 26/02/2023 23:32

Hi Ladies I am currently 32 weeks pregnant now last Friday I suffered a bleed and attended my local maternity hospital who did an internal examination and couldn’t say why the bleed had happened but that it was coming from the neck of my womb, whilst the nurse was doing the internal she stated she though my waters were leaking so I was kept in overnight for monitoring, the next day I was seen by a consultant who did another internal examination as they couldn’t be 100% sure if it was my waters, after a good 5 minutes of her looking and having me cough she said it was my waters and prescribed steroids and antibiotics but no official swab or anything was done she just said it was my waters, I was discharged home 3 days later and everyday since I have been soaking through pads all though I’m not 100% convinced it is actually my waters and with no official test being done could they be mistaken? the colour looks yellow but does not smell like wee so feel very confused has anybody else had amniotic fluid look like this on a pad…I will note I’ve had some thick pink discharge which I suspect could be my mucus plug but as far as contracting or labour signes they’re is absolutely nothing considering my waters supposedly broke last week any help would be greatly appreciated x

OP posts:
CoalCraft · 27/02/2023 00:27

It probably is your waters. The total volume is pretty huge, about 800 mL, so I could well see a trickle type leak filling pads like this.

Since the leaking is continuing I'd be tempted to go back to hospital, or at least call for more advice.

SirVixofVixHall · 27/02/2023 00:30

It looked like that when my hind waters had gone. I was induced because of this, it is an infection risk, so you need to go back in I think.

RiverSkater · 27/02/2023 00:32

Your waters look a bit brown so there might be meconium in there so you need to be seen as soon as. Somebody more knowledgeable should advise I hope?

Cats23 · 27/02/2023 00:35

You need to go back.

Johnson31 · 27/02/2023 00:35

I was back at the hospital yesterday for monitoring and blood tests to check infection markers and have to have this done every week, although urine sample yesterday did show +1 protein but blood pressure was absolutely fine, it was just the colour on the pad which was throwing me off with looking quite yellow but I don’t think there is any possibility this is urine I’m going through pads like no tomorrow 🙈 I explained to the midwife yesterday that the leaking has been constant all week but she said that will happen and eventually it will stop x

OP posts:
CoalCraft · 27/02/2023 05:45

So they are just going to let you crack on without your waters? That's unusual I think, don't they usually keep you on till the birth because of the infection risk?

MaverickSnoopy · 27/02/2023 05:59

When I had my first I was told if your waters break you need to stay in hospital. I appreciate that they've not fully gone but I feel uncomfortable about what you're going through.

This website has some good information www.tommys.org/pregnancy-information/pregnancy-complications/waters-breaking-early-pprom. Have a read and then go back armed with information. It says that if you've also been bleeding its another risk factor. They should have done a swab and blood tests.

In your shoes I would be very vocal and go through this information with them and tell them I'm very concerned by what's happening and don't feel reassued. I'd probably also ask to see a doctor. Take names of people you see and say over and over, so you're saying everything is OK and there's no risk to my baby, even when there are several risk factors. I think you need to try and show confidence that you don't trust their advice.

WeWereInParis · 27/02/2023 06:27

CoalCraft · 27/02/2023 05:45

So they are just going to let you crack on without your waters? That's unusual I think, don't they usually keep you on till the birth because of the infection risk?

Mine broke at 34 weeks and I was kept in for a night while I was given steroids then I was sent home with a course of antibiotics. They booked in a scan at about 35 weeks, plus an appointment to be checked and have blood taken, and then an induction at 37 weeks.

Codlingmoths · 27/02/2023 06:38

Please go back in, explain the volume you’ve lost, show them the picture and ask about meconium, ask about infection risk, ask about how do they know it’s enough liquid left for baby, can they scan and check. Good you’re on antibiotics but still like other posters say this makes me nervous. Once your waters break the infection risk skyrockets, and the baby needs the fluid. Be confident asking these questions, you are your baby’s single most important advocate.

judesxmumx · 27/02/2023 06:41

Johnson31 · 26/02/2023 23:32

Hi Ladies I am currently 32 weeks pregnant now last Friday I suffered a bleed and attended my local maternity hospital who did an internal examination and couldn’t say why the bleed had happened but that it was coming from the neck of my womb, whilst the nurse was doing the internal she stated she though my waters were leaking so I was kept in overnight for monitoring, the next day I was seen by a consultant who did another internal examination as they couldn’t be 100% sure if it was my waters, after a good 5 minutes of her looking and having me cough she said it was my waters and prescribed steroids and antibiotics but no official swab or anything was done she just said it was my waters, I was discharged home 3 days later and everyday since I have been soaking through pads all though I’m not 100% convinced it is actually my waters and with no official test being done could they be mistaken? the colour looks yellow but does not smell like wee so feel very confused has anybody else had amniotic fluid look like this on a pad…I will note I’ve had some thick pink discharge which I suspect could be my mucus plug but as far as contracting or labour signes they’re is absolutely nothing considering my waters supposedly broke last week any help would be greatly appreciated x

I had the exact same except I was 27 weeks, I was let home told to take it easy and at hospital every second day to check for infection - also given steroids of course. I did get an infection and my boy was born by emergency c-section one week later.

I can't remember my waters being that colour tbh but if does sound like your waters, every time I stood up I flooded for days, it eventually calmed down.

lamaze1 · 27/02/2023 09:04

Hi OP, I don't want to alarm you but go in asap and insist on being seen.

I had a stitch, and subsequently waters began leaking (barely noticeable). I ended up with yellow discharge and went into premature labour at 24 weeks. The yellow discharge was an infection.

Trust your instincts here. I was on a ward and a junior dr examined me but was quite dismissive when I flagged the yellow discharge. A midwife went above that junior dr.

Good luck.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.