My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Connect with others and find premature birth support.

Premature birth

Head less than 1 percentile

13 replies

PHOENIX2103 · 11/02/2023 19:18

Im 32 weeks. Has anyone had any experience with this ?

Please let me know

Worried sick

OP posts:
CoalCraft · 11/02/2023 19:57

Hi OP, I take it you're still pregnant currently? What were the other measurements (torso, leg)? Were you given any information/ advice at the time?

If baby is small all over then the head size specifically may be nothing to worry about. Also note that those measurements can be inaccurate depending on the baby's position in the womb.

For what it's worth, my DD1 had a very small head for her body size at birth (12th centile vs. 50th) and there were no issues. She's now two and doing great.

lljkk · 11/02/2023 20:05

My experience is that ultrasound scans can be very wrong & I dont' trust scans to tell me anything certain. What did consultants say about their concerns (or lack there of?)

110APiccadilly · 11/02/2023 20:31

Both of mine were born with head circumference below the 1st percentile. DD1 is now two, no concerns and signed off by the pediatrician, and DD2 is six months, still under the pediatrician but it's a formality really, she's clearly fine too. Mine were small all over, so their heads were more or less in proportion.

Ultrasounds are not all that reliable for precise measurements - the very senior consultant we saw after DD2's 20 week scan said he could do two scans ten minutes apart on the same baby and the results could easily differ by 10 percentiles.

Have you seen a consultant yet and what did they say? Are you booked in for further scans?

PHOENIX2103 · 11/02/2023 20:35

All i know is shes in 3 percentile overall and her abdominal is 1.5 percent and her waist is 9 percent. She was growing fine but something caused high resistance in umbilical cord. Now im besides myself and noone is answering my questions only that im to be closely monitored for next two weeks

OP posts:
PHOENIX2103 · 11/02/2023 20:39

Omg thank you thats brought so much ease

OP posts:
TwilightSilhouette · 11/02/2023 20:40

My son’s head was above the 99th centile but he is absolutely fine.

Sucessinthenewyear · 11/02/2023 20:46

DD2 was born on the 75 centile for weight and length but head size 25 centile. Paediatrician said it was fine as long as her head stays on the 25 centile. She saw the paediatrician about something unrelated.

110APiccadilly · 11/02/2023 21:00

PHOENIX2103 · 11/02/2023 20:35

All i know is shes in 3 percentile overall and her abdominal is 1.5 percent and her waist is 9 percent. She was growing fine but something caused high resistance in umbilical cord. Now im besides myself and noone is answering my questions only that im to be closely monitored for next two weeks

That sounds very like the measurements for my DD2!

It sounds like they want to keep a close eye on the cord blood flow . If it doesn't look great, they might want to deliver early. You're already 32 weeks, if they delivered tomorrow she'd have an excellent chance of being fine. I was told that if you can get to 34 weeks, babies born then have long term outcomes no different to those born at term. You're very nearly there.

If your baby does have to be born early, there's also a lot in her favour - you'll be able to have a steroid injection to help her lungs and it'll be planned so she can go straight into special care if necessary.

Do you have a good community midwife? If so, contact her Monday and explain you're feeling worried and don't know exactly what the situation is, what the plan is, or what they're looking for. Hopefully she can get some more clarity for you.

PHOENIX2103 · 12/02/2023 03:29

Thank you so so much. Needed to be reassured!

What are the chances of brain damage already occuring due to lack of oxygen because of high resistance in cord.

OP posts:
PritiPatelsMaker · 12/02/2023 09:03

What are the chances of brain damage already occuring due to lack of oxygen because of high resistance in cord?

I honestly don't know but can tell that you're really worried.

Are you under a Consultant?

110APiccadilly · 12/02/2023 09:06

What are the chances of brain damage already occuring due to lack of oxygen because of high resistance in cord.

I don't know, I'm sorry. I'm not at all an expert, all my knowledge comes from my own experience. I do know that there's an extra part to the scan they can do where they actually look at the blood flow in baby's brain - I'm pretty sure that under the guidance you should be offered that, so that might help to give you some reassurance.

I'd encourage you to write down a list of questions (like this one) you have, and then contact your midwife with it, or take it to your next appointment. Otherwise it's easy to leave an appointment and realise you haven't found out everything you wanted to know.

Ariela · 12/02/2023 09:29

What size head do you and your DP have? There was concern about DD's large head - but it's actually the spitting image of DH's complete with double crown, exactly the same size as his now she's adult.

PritiPatelsMaker · 15/02/2023 17:52

Hoping that you've both been checked again by now @PHOENIX2103. How are things going?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.