My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Connect with others and find premature birth support.

Premature birth

28 weeker stories

12 replies

gkok · 26/01/2023 12:26

Would love to hear some development success stories of ex-28 weekers! Looking for some positivity as mine is a little slow to reach development milestones even for corrected age

OP posts:
Seryse · 26/01/2023 12:32

My best friends oldest girl was a 28 weeker last, 1lb 12oz. She's 18 now and in college doing... something to do with art. She was a bit slow to meet milestones but by 2 or 3 she'd caught up.

My other friends wee boy was born at 23+6 1lb 4oz, I delivered him, he's 17 now and to this day I can't believe that 6 foot 3 lad was the tiny little preemie I delivered at work that i was absolutely dreading. He was in a similar situation, bit slow to get going but he caught up eventually too. Take each day as it comes OP, you got this!

FlumpFlibbertigibbet · 26/01/2023 12:39

Hello. How old is your DC now?

I have a 32 weeker (now 7) and 33 weeker and was always told that by school, they should meet their milestones. It gave them plenty of time to catch up. It’s so hard when you notice that they’re a bit slower to do something. It caused me to become ill with PND when my DD was 9 months.

My 32 weeker was slow to sit, crawl (15 months corrected) and walk (19 months corrected). She found running hard, tripped lots, but at 7, you wouldn’t be able to tell now. At reception age, she definitely found it harder to move around climbing frames. But maybe she would have done anyway, regardless of being prem.

Depending on the age of your DC, you can seek reassurance from either GP/health visitor. We were referred to physio, who DD saw at 1/2 and then again at 4/5, to help with movement.

gkok · 26/01/2023 12:46

FlumpFlibbertigibbet · 26/01/2023 12:39

Hello. How old is your DC now?

I have a 32 weeker (now 7) and 33 weeker and was always told that by school, they should meet their milestones. It gave them plenty of time to catch up. It’s so hard when you notice that they’re a bit slower to do something. It caused me to become ill with PND when my DD was 9 months.

My 32 weeker was slow to sit, crawl (15 months corrected) and walk (19 months corrected). She found running hard, tripped lots, but at 7, you wouldn’t be able to tell now. At reception age, she definitely found it harder to move around climbing frames. But maybe she would have done anyway, regardless of being prem.

Depending on the age of your DC, you can seek reassurance from either GP/health visitor. We were referred to physio, who DD saw at 1/2 and then again at 4/5, to help with movement.

He’s only 8 months corrected. Understand I’m probably getting ahead of myself but only just getting to grips with sitting, and only makes one or two sounds. Barely rolls by himself.
I know he will do it in his own time, just a bit challenging when you see younger babies moving around so much, rolling, crawling and exploring.
guess it’s something all preemie mums go through!

OP posts:
LegoGoldenDragon · 26/01/2023 13:08

My friend was born at 27 weeks. She has cerebral palsy and didn't walk until 3. She did well at school, went independently to university and enjoys her job. She has travelled widely and loves a particular sport. Mobility issues have not held her back.

My full term child didn't sit unaided until 9/10 months, so 8 months seems in the normal range to me.

MoleyAndGeorge · 26/01/2023 14:30

SIL was a 29 weeker, 35 years ago. She’s now a Cambridge academic!

lamaze1 · 26/01/2023 20:52

Hi op, my daughter was 24 weeks (just turned 12 months corrected) and had significant brain bleeds in both sides.

Consultants at my hospital recommended I look at the guides on this website eismart.co.uk/resources/ which I found helpful.

I know it's easier said than done but try not to obsess over it. If you are worried, can you email the secretary to the nicu consultants for email advice or a follow up?

smoosandsmed · 26/01/2023 20:53

My son is an ex 28weeker- he turns 11 on Tuesday. He's perfect. You'd not even know.

Spent 9 weeks in NICU and it was a rollercoaster of a journey.

lamaze1 · 26/01/2023 20:53

Apologies meant to say that we had her "12 month" (corrected) tests this week and touch wood she is ahead of both her actual and corrected age.

smoosandsmed · 26/01/2023 20:54

Sorry should had added; he was slow with everything milestone wise up until he was about three id say.

His first tooth came through when he was 13m even!

ProseccoOnIce · 26/01/2023 21:00

My 29-weeker, weighing 1lb 9oz, is now 14.

He came home on oxygen & had severe reflux. Struggled to gain weight & with eating till he was about 3. Walked & crawled at usual times.

He was diagnosed with DCD (dyspraxia) but is doing absolutely great. Very sporty, loves his Xbox.

Africa2go · 07/02/2023 10:30

Twins born at 27+6 here, now 17. They were slow with their early milestones - rolling (Twin 2 didn't roll until 8 months and that was only once, only to be repeated about 3 months later). They didn't crawl at all (sort of shuffled), they wouldn't go on their fronts at all and didn't walk until they were 15 months actual (12 months corrected). Concerns about Twin 2's hearing but all OK in the end. They were signed off by the Paeds team aged 2.

Both passed for selective grammar school at 11, got mainly 8s and 9s at GCSE and predicted all A stars / As for their A levels, one applying for medicine at uni, the other has offers from top unis. Both sporty, happy, you'd never known they were premature.

I think I worried about it until they went to school - and when I had another (full term) baby and realised that they all do things in their own time (premature or otherwise!). Yes, you need some monitoring to start with, various checks etc, but with hindsight, I realise I was constantly comparing to other children, wanting them to get to next milestone, worrying they were behind which kind of stopped me enjoying them as babies. That's a completely natural reaction I think but try to enjoy your DC, try not to worry. Best wishes

judesxmumx · 11/02/2023 20:46

My son was a 28 weeker he is now 7. He is thriving and is in age 10-11 clothes, he is very tall. Was 2lb 13 at birth.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.