My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sharing experiences of pregnancy choices; to debate the ethics of termination, visit our Politics or Chat forums.

Pregnancy choices

Surgical abortion with BPAS 12+6 experience

5 replies

nvrndrs · 03/11/2022 19:51

Hi all,
I thought I’d post in here after reading other people’s experiences with surgical abortions as they helped me loads with anxiety and information around surgical abortions.
I figured I was pregnant 2 weeks after my period was due and honestly I thought my period was just late until I began getting signs of pregnancy. A positive pregnancy test later and it confirmed my suspicions. I called up bpas, after some difficult consideration, religion wise, but decided I couldn’t have a baby yet due to my ill physical and mental health, who didn’t have any availability locally until after the 10 week mark had passed so I had to go for surgical which honestly scared me at the thought. I began googling for experiences everywhere and thankfully found them on here. I had my scan last week Friday and then my procedure today. I chose conscious sedation but in hindsight I wish I’d chosen general anaesthetic. Arrived at the clinic at 8.30 and was called in by the nurse by 8.50, did my obs and blood group, discussed what type of contraceptive id like after and then soon after got taken down. Given a gown and socks to change into and then the waiting began. When I finally got taken into the theatre, the panic set in as the surgeon began reading out my details and everything. The nurses in there were lovely, talking and keeping me occupied, the drugs were given and I had a nurse holding my hand, which I think I began squeezing a bit too hard as she gave me a stress ball for my other hand. The procedure was a bit painful, and I was very emotional after, I suffer with mental health diagnoses too and I think everything got very overwhelming. The pain subsided once the main part was over and the nurses were lovely saying I’d done really well and so was the surgeon. They helped me get up and walked me over to the recovery area, I was still in bit of a state so the nurses were keeping an eye on me and gave me tea and biscuits which really helped. Pain was quiet bad and overwhelming to begin with bur I was given some extra painkillers which helped as they also relaxed me. Tensing makes the pain even worse as I realised. Got given an anti d injection and had my obs checked some more, was asked to check my pad and then I got changed and was discharged. Honestly, it was overall a positive experience but honestly something I hope I don’t have to go through again. Hope this helps anyone who is looking for some reassurance.
Any questions, feel free to ask. 😊

OP posts:
heartbroken22 · 05/11/2022 22:49

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I've had a termination too. How are you feeling mentally? Also what do you mean by religion wise?

heartbroken22 · 05/11/2022 22:50

At the end of the day you have to do what's best for you. I sincerely hope you're okay. Reach out on here if you need to talk. It helps a lot.

nvrndrs · 08/11/2022 12:11

Mentally, I didn’t think it would take much of a toll on me but it has, it hurts at times but I know it was for the best for me. If I carried it on, my mental health would have gotten worse, and I need to keep myself stable as possible right now.
And I had to do a lot of research into it in my religion, there’s a lot of conflicting thoughts about abortion and I had to be sure I was making the right choice.
Thank you for your words, they mean a lot

OP posts:
heartbroken22 · 09/11/2022 21:22

@nvrndrs I feel the same. Although I'm pregnant now I still miss that baby or what would have been but it had to be done as I was feeling suicidal. In terms of faith I was like that too because I couldn't just go ahead with it without a valid reason. I hope you're feeling better.

Celi91 · 22/09/2023 17:16

Please could i ask why you wouldn’t go for conscious sedation? I’m about to go through the same at 12 weeks and petrified 😩

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.