My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sharing experiences of pregnancy choices; to debate the ethics of termination, visit our Politics or Chat forums.

Pregnancy choices

4 weeks wait for surgical abortion

39 replies

Meeko93 · 15/02/2022 13:39

Had my first appointment yesterday with bpas had to drive over 1hr 1/2 for them to only go through the form I did online. Was only in there 15 mins as was told on phone that I would have my scan and blood test but nope I got to go to another centre tomorrow for the scan and blood. I’m 16weeks now and she said the earliest appointment for the surgical is in 4 weeks time but it’s not been booked as got to have my scan tomorrow then they will book in so wait might be even longer. I’m really stressing out as I want it gone asap I stupidly thought it all be over within a week but it won’t be until I’m 20 plus weeks. I don’t think my mental health can take waiting that long I’m crying everyday and thinking it be easier to just end my life then wait. I keep telling myself it’s only 4 weeks but it’s ages away I don’t want to possibly get a small bump or feel it move as that will send me over the edge. Has anyone managed to somehow get a sooner appointment then they said?

OP posts:
Cakelover17 · 15/02/2022 17:28

I’ve got no experience but that’s a horribly long wait, keep phoning them incase there’s a cancellation maybe? Just hoping I can boost your post incase someone else sees it and can be more helpful Flowers

duvetdayforeveryone · 15/02/2022 19:14

Bumping the thread.

weeeeeeeeee · 15/02/2022 19:39

My DD had almost the same thing last week. Was 14 weeks and they gave her an appointment in 3 weeks time. It's absolutely shocking that women are being made to wait like this.

We got a private appointment in the end at a clinic near Harley Street. Her first appointment was on the Monday and they booked her in for the procedure on the Wednesday. But it did cost over £2000 because of how far along she was.

I'm so sorry you are going through this.

Luckyme30 · 15/02/2022 19:56

How absolutely awful that the wait times are so long!

Where are you based? Is it because of the location? Perhaps you could ask if they have somewhere else with less waiting time (if you’re able/prepared to travel.

I’m really concerned reading your post - I’ll be 8 weeks next week and was hoping for a surgical but I can’t bare waiting another 4 weeks, it’s totally insane. I would have thought their services would be up and running again now that most of the restrictions have been lifted :(

strawberrymilkshake123 · 15/02/2022 23:18

How stressful @Meeko93. Will they be able to give you a definite date tomorrow ?

GLTM · 16/02/2022 00:05

It's absolutely shocking how long they are suggesting you wait. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and the trauma you are suffering.

I would tell them tomorrow how you feel in terms of your mental health. You could also try ringing other hospitals and asking their wait list time, and then going to A&E if the waitlist is shorter, but I don't know if that would work and it could add to your trauma.

I feel for you. Do try and get through these tough weeks, they will pass slowly but pass they will. Be kind to yourself.

Jsh125 · 16/02/2022 00:35

That is such a long time to wait, particularly given how many weeks you are. Have you tried any other providers? I had medical management last week through MSI choices and only had to wait a week before my first phone appointment then second appointment was the next day. This was over the phone though so appreciate it's a different situation. I initially tried bpas who had no appointments for 2 weeks.
Hope you're able to get seen quicker than 4 weeks, definitely worth ringing around a few options if you have any local to you.

Meeko93 · 16/02/2022 11:10

@Luckyme30 I said to them I willing to travel anywhere that got the nearest date and apparently that’s the earliest they have got!! Got my scan this afternoon so hoping there be a nearer appointment available as 4 weeks is just so long to wait. I honestly thought it back to normal and not long waits but obviously not.

OP posts:
Meeko93 · 16/02/2022 11:13

@strawberrymilkshake123 She said they will give me my date at the scan so hoping there’s a cancellation sooner then later.

OP posts:
Meeko93 · 16/02/2022 11:16

@Jsh125 I tried them and earliest telephone appointment is 25th feb! It’s just a total nightmare

OP posts:
strawberrymilkshake123 · 16/02/2022 11:18

@Meeko93, I hope the scan appointment goes as "well," as it can do and you get a definitive date today, which having a date in writing may make things a little easier. x

Meeko93 · 16/02/2022 11:21

@weeeeeeeeee sorry to hear you DD had this issue as well. But glad to hear that she had quick service going private unfortunately moneys very tight at the moment as otherwise I would go private as well.
It really is shocking how we meant to wait this long.

OP posts:
Luckyme30 · 16/02/2022 11:33

@Meeko93 it’s totally appalling! Do you mind me asking what areas they offered for Surgical?

I’m really concerned reading your post as I’ve had a c-section before so have a feeling I won’t be allowed the pills which means I’ll be waiting 4 weeks for surgery. My partner does not drive so looks as though I’ll have to travel for surgical :(

I hope the scan goes as well as it can and that you are given a date and it’s much sooner than 4 weeks!

Coukd they not offer anything at your local hospital?

LaBellina · 16/02/2022 11:37

So sorry to hear this, it’s appalling and shocking that they make women wait so long. I have no advice for you other then to keep trying to get an earlier appointment and perhaps organize therapy/ counseling for yourself as this awful and possibly traumatizing to deal with Flowers

Meeko93 · 16/02/2022 18:53

@Luckyme30 I’m in Wiltshire but said willing to travel anywhere. Had the appointment and when she went to see nearest date available they were booked up til April and that included London! But thankfully she said she can not make me wait that long as it’s not right so she went to her boss and they got me booked in for next Wednesday. Hopefully they will do same for you as it’s horrible having to wait when you just want to get back to ‘normal’

OP posts:
Ginflinger · 16/02/2022 19:27

This is terrible. I am so sorry you are going through this.

Luckyme30 · 16/02/2022 19:56

@Meeko93 you’re very close to me!
I’m so worried about the wait, it’s ridiculously unfair :(

Can I ask where they’ve booked you for for next Wednesday?

It’s still a wait for you but hopefully a much more bearable wait - hope all goes well

Meeko93 · 16/02/2022 20:31

@Luckyme30 It’s definitely is completely unfair and I’ve never felt so stressed and worried before all this.
It’s at the Bournemouth one and that’s where I went today as well.
Thank you and I really hope you will be able to get a appointment sooner then later

OP posts:
JessieLongleg · 16/02/2022 20:34

So sorry to hear this I was sticking for pregnancy delays to someone who thinks the NHS is just because they don't have a illness that's oversubscribed. Really hope you are ok

Luckyme30 · 16/02/2022 21:10

@Meeko93me either! I thought that by contacting BPAS early on I would have time to consider options but at this rate (and due to past history of surgery) I’m panicking!!

I’m so sorry to ask questions of you (you don’t have to answer) but are you travelling alone to the clinic for the procedure or do you have someone who can take you?

I ask because my partner does not drive so looks as though I’ll be heading to Bournemouth alone and will have to find somewhere to stay after the general.

I really do wish you well and hope everything goes to plan - can’t have been an easy thing to navigate, I’m so sorry that you’ve has to wait as long as you have!

Please let me know how you get on.

Meeko93 · 16/02/2022 21:35

@Luckyme30 you would have thought that!
You have to have someone drop and pick you up for the procedure unfortunately.
Thank you it just makes a already stressful thing even worse with all the waiting.
I hope your wait won’t be as long for yourself.
Will let you know how it goes

OP posts:
Luckyme30 · 17/02/2022 13:03

@Meeko93 thanks for the info… nothing is straightforward.

Looks like I’ll be staying in a hotel there then as no way I can get a lift there and back!

Hope all goes smoothly please let me know how it went

Jersey11 · 17/02/2022 13:11

@Luckyme30 You need someone to stay with you for 24 hours following the procedure so you will only be able to stay in a hotel if someone collects you from the clinic and then stays with you in the hotel. It is a pain I know but it's to make sure you're okay. I hope everything works out for you x

Luckyme30 · 17/02/2022 13:14

@Jersey11 thank you, I’m not sure what I will do because I have a baby and we live about 200 miles away from the clinic. My partner does not drive due to health and I have no one that would be willing to travel 200 miles there and back :(

It’s an awful thing, I’m so angry because BPAS have kept me waiting since I was 5 weeks pregnant, now 8 weeks and I have my first consultation next week when I’ll be 8+4, Ive had a cesarian and think this will mean I can’t have a medical without supervision/scan so it’ll bring me past the date :(

It’s all so unfair with the wait times x

Jersey11 · 17/02/2022 13:19

@Luckyme30 I completely agree. I think that if the wait is longer than a few weeks then they should offer it in hospital. I have to travel an hour and a half for mine on the 23rd. I called them on the 3rd, had my consultation 2 weeks later on the 16th, yesterday, and then my surgical is booked in for the 23rd, so all in all it would have been 4 weeks since first calling them. I know I am one of the lucky ones but even then, I think 4 weeks is ridiculous and especially when so many emotions are involved, it is really unfair. Especially because the symptoms become more and more apparent everyday, it is a constant reminder and I think when you have made your decision, you just want it done. The other other thing I can think of is attending A&E and saying it is affecting your mental health, they might be able to get you into your local hospital sooner? Thinking of you xx

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.