My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sharing experiences of pregnancy choices; to debate the ethics of termination, visit our Politics or Chat forums.

Pregnancy choices

Not the right time- help?

8 replies

WhatADayyy · 22/01/2022 10:03

Hello,

I’m not sure if this is the place to post and I’m still in a bit of a shock. I’m in my early 20s and about to start my career.

I have found out this morning I am pregnant, tested as my AF was late. I am not in a position to carry on with this, sadly.

I am completely lost. Where do I go from here?
Do I speak to GP or is it better to self-refer somewhere?

Thank you Flowers

OP posts:
Moancup · 22/01/2022 10:07

If you’re early 20s I would go straight to Brook. I did (a scarily long time ago) and they were really good. Unlike a GP they understand exactly why you’re there, and respect the decision you’ve made.

If that isn’t an option for you then look into BPAS.

Both of these will still be free on the NHS.

A GP isn’t a bad option but you can just self refer and I always think it’s better to stick to the people who see this everyday.

abyssofwoah · 22/01/2022 13:27

Sorry you are in this difficult position.

If you report your post and ask mumsnet to transfer this to the pregnancy choices board you will get knowledgable people on there.

WhatADayyy · 22/01/2022 17:20

@Moancup

If you’re early 20s I would go straight to Brook. I did (a scarily long time ago) and they were really good. Unlike a GP they understand exactly why you’re there, and respect the decision you’ve made.

If that isn’t an option for you then look into BPAS.

Both of these will still be free on the NHS.

A GP isn’t a bad option but you can just self refer and I always think it’s better to stick to the people who see this everyday.

Thank you, I went straight over to Brook to see where the most local clinic/provider is.

I have an appointment with MSI, but that's 16 days away. The lady I spoke with said there would then be a second appointment which could be another week away following that, before any treatment is sorted. I am a little worried as by the 1st appointment alone I will be 6 weeks (I know this is still fairly early- but seems so long seeing as i am set in my decision).

I have requested an appointment with BPAS and will hope there's an appointment even a little closer Sad

Thank you again Star
OP posts:
WhatADayyy · 22/01/2022 17:21

@abyssofwoah

Sorry you are in this difficult position.

If you report your post and ask mumsnet to transfer this to the pregnancy choices board you will get knowledgable people on there.

Thank you Smile

I have reported and hopefully will get redirected over there!
OP posts:
Moancup · 23/01/2022 08:29

The wait is excruciating if you know early on what you’re decision is, but unfortunately you should prepare yourself for it being typical (I think I had the proper consultation to set things in motion at six weeks and had surgery at 8).

It’s frustrating, but the good news is you’ll still be within the limit to take pills at home if that’s how you’d prefer to do it.

Hopefully someone can advise if any providers are managing to see people super speedily at the moment.

squishymarshmellow · 23/01/2022 11:29

The wait is the hardest part but once it's over the relief makes you forget about it.

I found out I was pregnant at 5 weeks and ended up having the procedure at 10 weeks (due to Xmas/new year and the wait time).

The waiting is horrible and you don't realise how slow these services are until you need them! I hope it goes quickly for you and best of luck. X

squishymarshmellow · 23/01/2022 11:31

Forgot to add, the wait time for BPAS by me was 16 days and then they wanted me to go for a scan (due to medical conditions I have) which would have added another two weeks on.

The quickest service I found was with my local hospital. They saw me within 7 days and procedure was 2 days later. The page for the service was really hidden on the hospital website within gynaecology section so have a dig Smile

WhatADayyy · 24/01/2022 10:38

Thank you all Smile

I had a look on my local hospital website but nothing found yet, so I am going to stick with my original appointment and let things take their course rather than stress or worry as I am so early on thankfully.
I am very grateful this is an option, and thankful for the services, but I agree for some reason I thought it would be almost instantaneous HmmGrin

I am currently at the hospital waiting for my partner, and have seen a fair few ladies wandering in for their pre-natal appointments.
I can’t help but feel a tinge of jealousy and sadness? Knowing that I won’t be getting to that stage. It’s not that I don’t want a baby, i just cannot give a child what they deserve at this point in my lifeSad

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.