My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

This topic is for sharing experiences of pregnancy choices; to debate the ethics of termination, visit our Politics or Chat forums.

Pregnancy choices

Please help me understand what will happen tomorrow

6 replies

HarrysMummy17 · 26/12/2017 23:48

I'm currently 7w6d pregnant. My partner and I have decided, even though we want another child, we can not keep it due to various issues.

Tomorrow I have an appointment at the local hospital after a referral from a clinic.

I assumed tomorrow I would be given the first pill although the leaflet says it's just for a scan and I'll be given a date to return.

I'm worried sick. Mainly about my children. I have no family nearby and my partner is working away at the minute. A friend has said she will watch the children but neither have been away from me before and I'm panicking I'll have to leave them two more times after this.

I seem to be rambling a bit now but just want to know what to expect tomorrow as I'm going to be so emotional.

OP posts:
Topaz89 · 27/12/2017 18:29

Hi, how did everything go today?

Crumbs1 · 27/12/2017 18:39

Depends on the provider. Both BPAS and MSI offer simultaneous administration on the same day as the initial appointment. The use in this way is off licence and risk of continuing pregnancy is a bit higher but as long as women understand that, they can do so. It might be different in a hospital where they continue with administration on separate days. There is no reason at all that you can’t have first tablet on the same day as the dating scan and consent. Most HSA1 forms are signed remotely by doctors who haven’t seen the women.
In a clinic you’d be talked through the process and your medical history. You’d be given a TV scan and checked for anti d. Then you’d be given a tablets. That’s it all,very and done with. You’d be asked to do a pregnancy test two weeks later.

amethystshimmer · 10/01/2018 14:23

How did you get on Harry's Mum?

BurningStar · 10/01/2018 18:36

Hi - I had a medical termination today at 7w2d.

I was with BPAS. Appointment was for 08:30 and got called in at about 08.45.
I was given a booklet to read whilst waiting. I was asked to be seen alone first, the lady asked me why I wanted a termination, if it was my choice etc. My partner then joined me.

Lady took my blood pressure, did a finger prick test to determine blood group.

I was then given an internal ultrasound scan to date the pregnancy as I believe to be under 10 weeks. I didn't see or hear anything. There was no pain or discomfort.

After that we discussed my options and what the procedure would involve. She then had to send my notes off electronically to be signed by two doctors. I was told this usually takes between 30mins to an hour. So we went for a walk to get some painkillers ready.

It was about an hour before I was called back in. There I took one tablet orally to stop the pregnancy hormones and 4 tablets were inserted in my vagina to expel the pregnancy.

I was given codine to take if the pain is strong and 4 antibiotics to take at once this evening. I was then allowed home. Was there in total for about 2/2.5 hours.

It was much less traumatic than I anticipated. The lady was lovely and made me feel at ease. Gave me lots of information and reassured me about what to expect.

I started bleeding about 3 hours after the medication. Bleeding is heavy now with strong period pains. But I'm taking paracetamol and ibuprofen and have a hot water bottle which is helping.

HTH. Good luck. You'll be fine x

amethystshimmer · 10/01/2018 19:11

Thank you for posting BurningStar, I hope you are ok physically and mentally. I will be in this position next week. I have a 90 min consultation and then have to go back, I assume it will be a couple of days later, maybe even the next day?

BurningStar · 11/01/2018 08:24

I'm good thank you @amethystshimmer. The pains have completely eased now and the bleeding is lighter. Mind you, I still haven't got up out of bed.
I'm not sure how your appointment will go as it sounds different to mine, but good luck. I'm sure you'll be fine x

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.