My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Is this actually true - gender

16 replies

MixedCouple · 13/02/2024 06:23

So I got an email from Emmas Diary at 14 weeks saying that supposedly the gender of a baby can be identified from Ultrasound earlier if the baby is moving their mouth a lot - a girl. They claim it came from a study but did not sight said study and I tried to look it up and nothing shows at all.
Does anyone have any insight or found this to be true?

I had my 12 week scan and baby was moving it's mouth non stop and the scan was 20mins long.
Opposite to DS1 who barely moved his mouth and barely moved. Always asleep and chilling at every scan even growth scans. So curious are we having a girl but also is there any merit to these claims.

OP posts:
daydreamingnightowl · 13/02/2024 06:27

I'm not sure if there is merit to this, but my second baby who I'm expecting now has not stopped moving in every scan including their mouth and they are a boy!

Hiddenvoice · 13/02/2024 06:27

I’m not really sure , my little girl was the most chilled baby for every scan. She just sat there, like she was posing for pictures and then rolled over at the end of each scan.
My baby boy is the most active baby ever. He moves non stop and the sonogrpahers regularly joke he’s talking to us with his constant mouth movements.

iceskater1 · 13/02/2024 06:28

Nonsense.

Overthebow · 13/02/2024 06:30

Both my DC hardly moved during scans, I had to jump about to try and make them move. I have a girl and a boy.

WandaWonder · 13/02/2024 06:31

No

menopausalmare · 13/02/2024 07:08

Sex, not gender!

PickledScrump · 13/02/2024 07:20

No that’s absolutely rubbish. Nub theory can be accurate if seen between 12+5 and 14 weeks and you have a clear image, otherwise it’s checking the genitals at 16 weeks onwards. Only other way to know is with a blood test. All other theory’s and old wives tales are pure guess work

Outliers · 13/02/2024 11:58

Prepare for gender disappointment - just in case!

PixieTrance89 · 13/02/2024 14:21

I can't see how much they move their mouth has anything to do with it to be honest so I doubt it's related

fedupandstuck · 13/02/2024 14:31

It seems to be a reference to this old piece of research, that I can't fully access as it's behind a paywall:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(05)63635-5/abstract

This article from 2018 points out that the study above hasn't been replicated: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4732938/#:~:text=There%20are%20two%20unreplicated%20reports,and%20complex%20lingual%2C%20laryngeal%20and

Even if this was robust science, you couldn't make any determinations from one ultrasound observation. It could easily be a boy that is making more than the usual facial movements, or a girl making less than the usual facial movements. Impossible to say from one observation, using an unproven and un-replicated bit of research.

Emma's Diary shouldn't be claiming this is possible.

WinterLobelia · 13/02/2024 14:36

Emma's diary pissed me off enormously when I was pg. My oldest is 14 and I recall that it recommended breastfeeding because (among other reasons given) you would lose the baby weight more quickly and had a picture of the husband doing those stupid eyes to indicate he was turned on by his wife's thin post baby weight loss physique. It fucked me off quite hugely because it seemed totally sexist.

allfurcoatnoknickers · 13/02/2024 14:40

Get the blood test if you really want to know! I really, really wanted to know the sex of both my children and found by 13 weeks both times. I totally understand being curious about it, but I think the mouth theory is bollocks.

ASGIRC · 13/02/2024 15:10

Hiddenvoice · 13/02/2024 06:27

I’m not really sure , my little girl was the most chilled baby for every scan. She just sat there, like she was posing for pictures and then rolled over at the end of each scan.
My baby boy is the most active baby ever. He moves non stop and the sonogrpahers regularly joke he’s talking to us with his constant mouth movements.

Yeah, my baby girl is pretty chill during scans. She might wave, sometimes she turns her back, but she doesnt move much, and is DEFINITELY a girl.

@MixedCouple at 14 weeks you can tell the sex by looking at their genitals!

MixedCouple · 14/02/2024 06:37

Hi ladies. Thank you so much for all the responses. Very helpful.
Not in a rush to find out we are happy to wait until 20 weeks. I won't be disappointed either way. Just interesting to read that's.

Here is the screenshot of what's they say.

Is this actually true - gender
OP posts:
MixedCouple · 14/02/2024 06:40

WinterLobelia · 13/02/2024 14:36

Emma's diary pissed me off enormously when I was pg. My oldest is 14 and I recall that it recommended breastfeeding because (among other reasons given) you would lose the baby weight more quickly and had a picture of the husband doing those stupid eyes to indicate he was turned on by his wife's thin post baby weight loss physique. It fucked me off quite hugely because it seemed totally sexist.

Oh wow. No way. They wouldnt be allowed to get away with that these days. That is disgusting.

I did loose weight super fast within nursing and ended up with excess skin especially on my stomach snd arms so felt worse then when I was heavier. Loose saggy skin was not sexy.

OP posts:
MixedCouple · 14/02/2024 06:46

fedupandstuck · 13/02/2024 14:31

It seems to be a reference to this old piece of research, that I can't fully access as it's behind a paywall:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(05)63635-5/abstract

This article from 2018 points out that the study above hasn't been replicated: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4732938/#:~:text=There%20are%20two%20unreplicated%20reports,and%20complex%20lingual%2C%20laryngeal%20and

Even if this was robust science, you couldn't make any determinations from one ultrasound observation. It could easily be a boy that is making more than the usual facial movements, or a girl making less than the usual facial movements. Impossible to say from one observation, using an unproven and un-replicated bit of research.

Emma's Diary shouldn't be claiming this is possible.

Thank you so much. How were you able to find them. The first is very old. The second one was interesting to read anf a lot if the differences were much later in gestation.
Thank you for finding them. Msybe I should tweet ED lol

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.