My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Horrible Labor.. any insight?

9 replies

ttcnads · 13/02/2024 03:57

So i gave birth on thursday but the labor was horrid.

as i reached 10 cm the nurse told
me the OB was in a surgery and to not
push, was cute for 20 minutes but after that i started feeling INTENSE burning in my body for rejecting pushing and doing what my body needed to do. Turns out the Ob took a full two hours to come see me, and i was “ breathing” through these contractions and not pushing despite the fire, the burning.

baby girls heart rate went up to 195 due to being in the birth canal too long, and was born with a fever- ended up having a c section due to over exhausting my body with the pressure i felt down there and not being able to push.

ladies- listen to your body and its cues during labor.. it should not be that much of a un pleasant experience.. seriously ticked off that i suffered so bad.. really traumatizing.

OP posts:
Yummymummy2020 · 13/02/2024 04:17

That is horrendous I can’t believe that you were treated so poorly. Please go further about this and at the very least , insist on a debrief of the birth. You poor thing. I had the opposite, they wouldn’t give me pain relief as they refused to believe I was in full Labour . A doctor poked their head in the door eventually and I was in a panic as they had me sitting up and the babies Head was actually coming out at that point. When the doctor let me lie down to examine me, she came out. I don’t honestly know how you managed to keep your baby in so long, it must have been absolute torture for you.

MixedCouple · 13/02/2024 05:24

Positive birth Company. Empower yourself.

A major reason I opted for a midwife led centre who are holistic. Unless very high risk. You don't need any OB they are there for emergencies not routine natural vaginal delivery. You poor woman. Would have strangled that lady and ignored her.

PickledScrump · 13/02/2024 07:31

That is absolutely awful, I know when I got to the pushing stage it was completely involuntary so there’s no way I could have stopped it. That’s absolutely terrible the way they treated you and is very much not normal. I would ask for a debrief when you feel up to it and also put a complaint in to PALS which will hopefully trigger an investigation. I hope you are both doing well now.

lolomoon · 13/02/2024 07:59

I'm so sorry for your experience. I hope you can get some answers and justice in the future to heal. Congratulations on your baby. Hope your physical recovery is smooth!

ttcnads · 13/02/2024 10:21

Hey guys thank you for all kind words and sympathy.

i live in canada.. any idea how i can do something about this within my country rules? Whats a debreif?

OP posts:
Sa11yCinnamon · 13/02/2024 10:29

I'm really sorry you had to go through this, it sounds awful. I'm afraid I don't know anything about procedures in Canada but I definitely think you should take it further, request a review or ask about their complaints procedure. Congratulations on your daughter's arrival x

PickledScrump · 13/02/2024 10:31

@ttcnads a debrief is an opportunity to go over your birth and ask any questions with a midwife, it can help process a traumatic birth but anyone can request one. This forum is predominantly UK based, so I’m not sure the information transfers, perhaps google your hospitals complaints process. I’ve never known any situation where they would tell you to stop pushing for that amount of time, certainly doesn’t sound like that should be allowed to happen again.

baytreelane23 · 13/02/2024 10:37

Sorry you've experienced this. I knew you weren't in the UK as this is so far from the practice here. Unless you had an epidural on board, but that would likely been to let it wear off, and let the head come down etc but that doesn't sound the case here when you had an overbearing urge to push, which has resulted in a septic baby and emergency section.

A debrief is where the hospital (again not sure if that's something offered in Canada) will have someone talk you through what happened and try to help you make sense of it all. It's tricky though as it sounds like you had a medicalised birth, that has resulted in some trauma both physically and psychologically. It's worth an ask.

Sending love to you and congratulations 🥰

ttcnads · 13/02/2024 14:20

@baytreelane23 i remember being told not to push like an hour in and asking the nurse what level my pitocin was at since i could feel contractions coming in every like 20 seconds and she said it was the highest level. Why am i on the highest level when im not allowed to do what i have to do?

i as for epidural it was working but i could very well still feel all that burning and fire and pressure. I will look into my options forsure in regards to a debreif

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.