My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Am i having a miscarriage? advice needed please

15 replies

sophiem05 · 13/02/2024 03:35

hi so i'm 18 and i found out i was pregnant very early this year. i'm going to be 10 weeks tomorrow but since 8 weeks id had some light spotting which has made me worry. the bleeding would appear for 2-3 days and then it would disappear for about the same amount of time. it's been about the same, small amount of blood each time apart from when i started bleeding a bit more yesterday.

before, the blood would barely appear on my underwear/pad and i'd only see it when i wipe whereas since yesterday, around midday it's started appearing on my underwear and it's a lot more than before. it's now bright red rather than a light pinkish colour too.

i can't see any clotting but im really panicking as this is my first pregnancy and i don't know what to do. i'm not in much pain either, only mild cramping that feels more like butterflies than pain.

i've called 111 and im waiting back on a call from an on duty GP in the next 2 hours to hopefully give me some advice but in the meantime if anyone has any advice or experience please let me know. i just need some support :/ TIA

p.s. sorry for the graphic photo, idk if it's allowed i just thought it might help give a better understanding of what's going on. the brighter red coloured blood is more recent whereas the darker coloured one is from yesterday.

OP posts:
Mummyofatinyterror · 13/02/2024 03:47

Hi there,
I didn't want to read and run
I have suffered 2 miscarriages, do you have any cramping? Or pain?
Brown blood is usually old blood but I would be a little more Concerned about the fresh red blood.
I'm sure when 111 call back they will book you into the early pregnancy unit but have a look on your hospital website and see if they accept self referrals, they will do urine tests and scans to see what's happening!
Thinking of you!

sophiem05 · 13/02/2024 03:52

Mummyofatinyterror · 13/02/2024 03:47

Hi there,
I didn't want to read and run
I have suffered 2 miscarriages, do you have any cramping? Or pain?
Brown blood is usually old blood but I would be a little more Concerned about the fresh red blood.
I'm sure when 111 call back they will book you into the early pregnancy unit but have a look on your hospital website and see if they accept self referrals, they will do urine tests and scans to see what's happening!
Thinking of you!

hi, thank you for replying, i have got very mild cramping but it's not really painful, it feels more like butterflies in my lower abdomen. waiting on the gp 🤞🏻

OP posts:
sophiem05 · 13/02/2024 04:00

Update.

So the GP literally just called me back and it wasn't much help.

he asked for my symptoms and reason for calling and he replied with: "well there's nothing we can do. just let the body do what it wants and if it wants to hold it then it will and if it doesn't it'll come out??!"

idk if i'm just all emotional and wound up right now but it felt really rude and like he didn't actually care and wasn't listening properly to what i was saying. idk :/

he just said call the early pregnancy unit in the morning and also reassured me that "they won't do anything though" so that was nice.

i don't know what i'm meant to do. i'm bleeding and the doctors just said it'll come out if it wants to. i feel so awful and im giving up hope at this point

OP posts:
Mummyofatinyterror · 13/02/2024 05:42

sophiem05 · 13/02/2024 04:00

Update.

So the GP literally just called me back and it wasn't much help.

he asked for my symptoms and reason for calling and he replied with: "well there's nothing we can do. just let the body do what it wants and if it wants to hold it then it will and if it doesn't it'll come out??!"

idk if i'm just all emotional and wound up right now but it felt really rude and like he didn't actually care and wasn't listening properly to what i was saying. idk :/

he just said call the early pregnancy unit in the morning and also reassured me that "they won't do anything though" so that was nice.

i don't know what i'm meant to do. i'm bleeding and the doctors just said it'll come out if it wants to. i feel so awful and im giving up hope at this point

Please call the EPU first thing.
They are the best ones to speak to in this situation, especially as you are 10 weeks pregnant, they will want to confirm what's happening.
I have always found my local EPU to be very helpful even after my early miscarriage at 6 weeks!

Hiddenvoice · 13/02/2024 07:13

I’m sorry 111 were so rude. Definitely contact your early pregnancy unit first thing this morning. They will hopefully book you in for a scan but it might be a couple of days before they can see you.
I had bleeding at 5-6 weeks and then again 8-9 and epu were lovely. They were very understanding of my worries and didn’t fob me off.
They did gently explain that other than scans there wasn’t much I or they could do and it would be a waiting game but they would support me.

Rosesanddaisies1 · 13/02/2024 07:22

Call the EPU yourself or just go to A&E during the day so they can send you to the EPU. It’s awful but I had a miscarriage last year and it did just happen naturally, there’s nothing any one can do about it. EPU should be able to scan to confirm what’s happened though.

OopsieeDaisy · 13/02/2024 08:13

I’m not sure where you are OP but I agree with pps you need to contact the EPU if possible - where I am they’re available 24/7. The doctor you spoke to sounds incredibly rude and unhelpful, and I’d expect that as you’re 10 weeks with red blood and some cramping, they will most likely want to scan you and check you over to see what’s going on. Really hope everything is ok for you.

JRTfan · 13/02/2024 10:53

Unfortunately medical professionals can be quite uncaring and seem cold at times some of them just like to lay out the facts which are if you are miscarrying there is nothing that can be done. I had a MMC at 9 weeks and was told to go home and wait to bleed, there was no care or compassion and was left in a waiting room of pregnant women. Horrible experience. You need a scan to see what's happening, you are far enough along that they will know either way, so push for EPU or you can get a private scan but they will refer to EPU if there are issues. If you have a midwife try that avenue aswell they should be able to help. Fingers crossed it works out for you.

sophiem05 · 14/02/2024 13:50

JRTfan · 13/02/2024 10:53

Unfortunately medical professionals can be quite uncaring and seem cold at times some of them just like to lay out the facts which are if you are miscarrying there is nothing that can be done. I had a MMC at 9 weeks and was told to go home and wait to bleed, there was no care or compassion and was left in a waiting room of pregnant women. Horrible experience. You need a scan to see what's happening, you are far enough along that they will know either way, so push for EPU or you can get a private scan but they will refer to EPU if there are issues. If you have a midwife try that avenue aswell they should be able to help. Fingers crossed it works out for you.

i went for a scan today, i'm meant to be 10 weeks today but i found out that it stopped growing at 6 weeks and 3 days. i'm devastated

OP posts:
Cornishbelle · 14/02/2024 13:53

So sorry Op 💐

SnookyPook · 14/02/2024 14:02

sophiem05 · 14/02/2024 13:50

i went for a scan today, i'm meant to be 10 weeks today but i found out that it stopped growing at 6 weeks and 3 days. i'm devastated

I'm so sorry sorry to read this op. I had a MMC last year and there is no heartbreak quite like it. Sending you a massive hug. Hope your epu talked you through what will happen next. It sounds like you have begun to miscarry naturally now so I hope it all goes ok. I found out about mine at 11+4 (baby had stopped developing at 7+5). I miscarried naturally at home and it was definitely bearable. Take painkillers if you need and seek further support if it gets unbearable.

If you feel able to, I do recommend the miscarriage boards on MN. There are loads of wonderfully supportive women who have been through the same thing and it's a very supportive community. I'm really sorry you've had to experience this and you hope you have some good support around you. Take the time you need to grieve this loss. 💕

Hiddenvoice · 14/02/2024 15:55

I’m so sorry @sophiem05 thinking of you 💐

OopsieeDaisy · 14/02/2024 16:21

So sorry OP 💐

Mummyofatinyterror · 14/02/2024 16:58

So so sorry @sophiem05 Flowers
Nothing prepares you for those 3 words.
If you need anything at all please shout, take your time for your body and mind to heal.
Thinking of you!

JRTfan · 14/02/2024 17:31

@sophiem05 I'm so so sorry to hear that it's just a horrible time. Give yourself as much time as you need and be kind to yourself it's a really traumatic process that not many people really understand. You will get through this x

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.