My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Finishing nursing at uni pregnant?

2 replies

Ptfcangel · 12/02/2024 22:17

Hiya,
Just wondered if there was anyone here that’s been through anything similar.
So I am due 1st baby 23rd September..
im currently a third year nursing student and I’m just not too sure what it will realistically look like for me. We have theory block now until may and then a placement that spans may-mid august. I really want to finish and qualify this year but I’m not putting a ton of pressure on myself as I know I might just not be able to do it in the last few weeks.
just wondered if anyone had any experience of nursing pregnant and how much I can reasonably expect to struggle with this 🤣

OP posts:
kiabella · 13/02/2024 06:27

I'm in my first stage of the nursing degree apprenticeship and due my third baby in July. My course is with the OU and placements are in the trust I work for and my home base. The plan for me is to do 3 weeks of final placement(work base), go on second placement elsewhere in the trust for 7 weeks, then come back to my work base and finish my last 4 weeks of placement, I'll be 34 weeks by then. Then take my maternity leave but take one keep in touch day to hand in my EMA which I'll have already written in advance before baby comes. It'll be tight fitting it all in but I'm desperate to finish stage 1 so I can relax for maternity leave knowing when I come back im just picking up where I left off.

Speak to your uni, they were so accommodating when I did and you are so close to qualifying I'm sure they will do everything they can to get you through

Pumpkindoodles · 13/02/2024 11:57

I can’t speak to the nursing side but ime unis are very accommodating.
do nurses normally work until 8 months? If so you’ll probably be fine, assuming low risk pregnancy, and I’d try to get it all done. You could maybe ask them if there are any accommodations, like could you start a bit earlier and finish a bit earlier, or could you get enough hours in in a shorter amount of time for example. They’ll need to do a risk assessment for you for the placement anyway and put some accommodations in to work, as they would with any qualified nurse, so I wouldn’t write off finishing your course. I would have thought it’ll be much easier to get it done and get qualified with out a baby, then get employed when you’re ready, than it will be to go back and try finish your course in a few months/year(s)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.