My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Period-like pains at 38 weeks pregnant

103 replies

novamama · 02/02/2024 16:33

Hi mamas, especially ones that have already given birth and experienced period-like pain cramps around 38 weeks!

I have been cramping in lower front abdomen for 3 days now - associated with very strong Brackston Hicks. No loss of mucus plug yet. Waters intact still.

How long did it take for you for labour to properly start?

OP posts:
Jandob · 02/02/2024 17:23

Report to midwife. Can be referred for monitoring.

Starrysky812 · 02/02/2024 17:27

I would also contact midwife just to be on the safe side. Good luck. Exciting times! πŸ₯°

novamama · 02/02/2024 21:09

Thank you for the replies.

I have done - MWs don't seem fussed. Baby is happy. Told to monitor. Was just wondered about real life experiences and timelines to labour..

OP posts:
jellybe · 02/02/2024 21:18

I had this with my third was still another two weeks before they arrived. Sorry if that isn't what you wanted to hear.

novamama · 02/02/2024 21:22

@jellybe that's so great to hear! This is why I'm posting to get some real life insights! I'd rather have realistic expectations, whatever they'd be! So, thank you!!

OP posts:
jadey1991 · 02/02/2024 21:26

Hi op congrats on pregnancy.
I've had 4 babies. My last pregnancy (baby is 9 weeks old now)
I had period like cramping from 35 weeks i was told i was contracting and in early labour. However they got stronger at 38 weeks (29th nov).They kept me in as I was due a c section the day (1dec) but I never pass 38 weeks and when they examined me I was 2cm dilated. I had emergency c section and had baby on 30th Nov.

I hope all goes well and I would suggest tou time the cramps as they could be an indication of labour. If they come frequently fo triage x keep us updated

Tafaa · 02/02/2024 21:40

Honestly, baby could arrive tonight, tomorrow or 2 weeks time lol! I started with period-like pains about 3 days before baby was born. I lost my mucus plug on the morning the first little pains started but my waters didn't go until just before I started pushing.

Thankyouthankyoujellybean · 02/02/2024 21:42

In my experience, it could still be weeks. This time round I'm going to try to ignore absolutely everything until I'm so far gone I can't walk πŸ˜†

novamama · 04/02/2024 00:07

Update: cramping + BH calmed down a bit after a few solid days! Still there, just intermittent.

OP posts:
Lemonandginger1 · 04/02/2024 00:19

Call the midwife/MAU and get it checked out. I didn't have any of what you're describing until I was 40 + 3 and in early labour. Good luck!

Starrysky812 · 04/02/2024 00:21

Great news! I'm sure baby will be here before you know it. Try to enjoy the last days / weeks if you can. You might miss being pregnant when it's all over - I certainly do! Good luck and keep us posted xx

novamama · 07/02/2024 12:19

Update: cramps and BH haven't ramped up at all since last week, they have stayed mild and intermittent. But, my waters broke during the night. No contractions yet after 7h, but baby must be coming soon!! Exciting ❀️

OP posts:
MrsTrue · 07/02/2024 12:36

jellybe · 02/02/2024 21:18

I had this with my third was still another two weeks before they arrived. Sorry if that isn't what you wanted to hear.

Same here with my first I'm afraid. All the curb walking and other tricks to get things moving didn't really help. Wasn't until I had a really fun day doing and eating all my favourite things that things got started properly.

MrsTrue · 07/02/2024 12:37

Update: cramps and BH haven't ramped up at all since last week, they have stayed mild and intermittent. But, my waters broke during the night. No contractions yet after 7h, but baby must be coming soon!! Exciting ❀️

Great news!

Starrysky812 · 07/02/2024 13:16

@novamama wonderful! It's happening ❀️ all the best for the delivery xxx

novamama · 07/02/2024 13:22

Thank you ladies!! Hopefully not long until contractions decide to start 🀞🏻🀞🏻🀞🏻

OP posts:
ProjectKettle · 07/02/2024 13:53

Oh exciting! Have you let your midwife know that your waters have broken but no contractions yet? There are guidelines around how long you can wait when this happens due to the risks of an infection, so the midwives usually like to know who is on this pathway.

Good luck! When this happened to me baby was here within 24hrs :)

novamama · 07/02/2024 15:04

@ProjectKettle thank you for sharing, yes yes I did go to get checked in the morning. Still no contractions though 😬😬😬

OP posts:
novamama · 07/02/2024 22:16

Still no contractions! Any tips for getting this labour started? πŸ˜…

OP posts:
K0OLA1D · 07/02/2024 22:18

When I had dc if contractions hadn't started within a certain number of hours after water's had broken you had to go in to get started off. Is that not a thing anymore?

Thankyouthankyoujellybean · 07/02/2024 22:23

@K0OLA1D I was made to do that twice. At the very least you'd need antibiotics (or so I was told). @novamama get some sleep, if they're not telling you to come in.

K0OLA1D · 07/02/2024 22:25

Thankyouthankyoujellybean · 07/02/2024 22:23

@K0OLA1D I was made to do that twice. At the very least you'd need antibiotics (or so I was told). @novamama get some sleep, if they're not telling you to come in.

I didn't think I was misremembering. It was 10 years ago now. My contractions started within the time frame anyway. But I thought it was around the 12 hour mark?

Thankyouthankyoujellybean · 07/02/2024 22:33

I think the recommendation is that birth should happen within 48hrs, so each time I was given 24hrs for things to start on their own (they didn't) and then put on antibiotics and the drip.

From what I have read, the anitbiotics are the important bit and you could wait longer for things to happen on their own, but hospitals prefer to get you in and out.

novamama · 07/02/2024 22:53

I can tell you the latest guidelines since I've been told the story this morning.

My first choice was water birth in midwife led unit.

They gave me 18h after waters broke for contractions to start and still be eligible for MLU. If contractions start at any point after this mark, then I need to be put on antibiotics, hence I cannot be in MLU. This is what will most likely happen for me because I have 20 min left and it's been 18h since the waters have gone. I also had to check temperature every 4h and waters colours.

If contractions haven't started up to 24h, I need to go in and get checked.

Then they told me that first step if I agree would be to try to rupture the membranes fully. Then wait some more (unspecified time?) to get labour started. If that fails, then I'd be put on the syntocin drip.

Of course I can opt out of everything but that's their recommended course.

Importantly, the guidelines have changed regarding antibiotics - they are only given once labour starts, not as a preventative measure after 18h from waters breaking.

OP posts:
Thankyouthankyoujellybean · 07/02/2024 22:54

Oooh, that's good to know, thanks OP.

How are you feeling?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.