Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Maternity pay help

9 replies

OptimusPrime31 · 25/01/2023 16:48

I'm trying to work out how much to expect when I go on mat leave. I will get occupational maternity pay( I'm a teacher) but will i also get statutory maternity pay? A colleague said I would but I'm not sure how accurate her information is

I know work will tell me eventually but I want to have a rough idea now for my own peace of mind.

OP posts:
Please
or

Suprima · 25/01/2023 16:52

I can’t tell you with the information you have given. I have no idea about your employment circumstances.

Have you taken look at your contract?

how long have you been working there?
do you work for a local authority school?
are you employed by an academy? if you do, do they follow the burgundy book?
do they have their own maternity leave policy?

all policies are probably on the shared area of your school network in a folder

Please
or

OrcaBlondie · 25/01/2023 16:53

OptimusPrime31 · 25/01/2023 16:48

I'm trying to work out how much to expect when I go on mat leave. I will get occupational maternity pay( I'm a teacher) but will i also get statutory maternity pay? A colleague said I would but I'm not sure how accurate her information is

I know work will tell me eventually but I want to have a rough idea now for my own peace of mind.

Best to check your works maternity policy. This should make it clear for you as you may not get statutory for the whole duration you are off. Or check with HR.

Please
or

FlyOnTheWall89 · 25/01/2023 16:59

@OptimusPrime31 as far as I'm aware you'll get stat mat pay which is around £650 a month after whatever your contract says. Eg. I get 6 weeks at 90% then go onto stat mat pay. State schools get something a bit better, more of a sliding scale. You might be able to do shared parental leave over the holidays - contact SPL teachers for more advice! X

Please
or

OptimusPrime31 · 25/01/2023 17:00

I was just curious what people had recieved in the past. I have worked at the same local authority school for about 6 years. My contract is useless and just says my school agree to cover maternity pay and sickness

OP posts:
Please
or

OptimusPrime31 · 25/01/2023 17:03

Thanks for your help everyone. The reality of being on 25% of my salary for 6+ months is slowly sinking in

OP posts:
Please
or

milkmonitor20 · 25/01/2023 17:08

Not a teacher, but the very generous mat leave policy at my old company was very clear you received full pay for 6 months inclusive of SMP - you didn't get pay + SMP. I would expect it to be the same, but without your policy it's difficult to confirm.

Please
or

Moni81 · 25/01/2023 17:18

Full pay means often statutory + company top up to make it full pay, which is fair I guess. I don't know what people expect to win lottery on maternity or what. All terms and conditions are in your contract, if not you can ask your boss or HR, forum is not right place. Just because you do same job doesn't mean your terms and conditions are same.

Please
or

pinkpirlie · 25/01/2023 18:47

Every local authority is different.unfortunately.
Some offer several months at full pay, others (like mine) are absolutely shocking. I only get 12 weeks half pay and that's paid in a lump sum on return to work after mat leave. Which means all I get when I'm off is statutory - which is not enough to live on so we have borrowed extra on our remortgage to cover my salary for 5 months.
I knew that taking the job, but it doesn't make it an easier pill to swallow when my old job was 6 months full pay.
You will need to go on the LA's intranet and get a copy of the maternity policy (you may be able to Google it - my authority's is online).

Please
or

OrcaBlondie · 25/01/2023 20:25

OptimusPrime31 · 25/01/2023 17:00

I was just curious what people had recieved in the past. I have worked at the same local authority school for about 6 years. My contract is useless and just says my school agree to cover maternity pay and sickness

It’ll be the maternity policy you need to check, not your contract x

Please
or