Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Scared to stop progesterone pessaries

3 replies

Desperatelyboredhousewife · 25/01/2023 14:25

Hi,

I am currently 11+6 weeks pregnant with my first baby and am having my 12 week scan on Monday. I had a scan at 7+1 where we saw a heartbeat and everything looked good. Since 1dpo I have been using Cyclogest 400mg pessaries twice daily - prescribed for suspected luteal phase defect by a private consultant. I was told to take them up until 12 weeks, which is tomorrow, but I'm now terrified to stop them. I'm not even sure why, I suppose I'm worried I could start bleeding or something will go wrong without them. I'm still having symptoms and there's no reason to suspect everything isn't ok.

Does anyone have any experience of coming off the pessaries at 12 weeks? Will it do any harm to wait until my scan at 12+4 where I may be able to ask a midwife if it's safe?

Any advice appreciated!

OP posts:
Please
or

maybebaby2023 · 25/01/2023 22:26

@Desperatelyboredhousewife I'm not sure if this will be any help whatsoever but I didn't want to read and run. If you've been told by a consultant to take them until 12w, then that's what I'd do. I was prescribed Utrogestan 200mg 3 x daily due to having IVF. I had the pessaries from the egg collection until 12w. I stopped taking them without checking with the midwife or anything as I'd been told everything was fine at the 12w scan. I did feel a bit of worry stopping taking them but have had no adverse effects. And that's coming from someone who has had virtually NO symptoms throughout x

Please
or

Ldougal92 · 26/01/2023 06:27

I took pesseries until 12 weeks and was also super scared to stop taking them but you’ve got to think your consultant knows what’s best, just to note when I voiced my concerns to my midwife she couldn’t really comment as she wasn’t my prescribing consultant. When the placenta attaches there is then no longer a need for them x

Please
or

Desperatelyboredhousewife · 26/01/2023 09:36

Thanks @maybebaby2023 @Ldougal92 for your responses, it was very helpful. Early pregnancy is full of worry and I've found myself questioning everything! I think you're right, it's best just to stop, the placenta will be doing its job now all being well and I shouldn't need them anyway.

OP posts:
Please
or