Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Pregnancies after Chemical Pregnancy

9 replies

cgwx · 25/01/2023 14:14

Hi, Just wanted some advice. I had a chemical pregnancy 2nd January to the 6th January which I assume you would ‘log’ this as a normal period because unless you were trying you wouldn’t know it was a pregnancy. Ovulation week for me was between 13th - 19th. I should be due on my period yesterday, had light on and off cramps yesterday, spotting / pink bleed this morning. We are trying for baby number 3 (final one for sure).

How did people find their bodys to be after a chemical pregnancy? Did you try right away? Wait? Etc.

thanks 😊

OP posts:
Please
or

Houseelf90 · 25/01/2023 18:57

Hey, sorry to hear about your chemical, hopefully you had lots of support?
I had a chemical end of October, we didn’t use any protection and DTD around the time of ovulation in November, and December. I got another BFP in December but then had another chemical just before Christmas. Again didn’t stop trying and I am now 5 weeks pregnant again! So it really happened straight away for me this time, and 1 cycle later the first time.
I feel incredibly lucky to be able to get pregnant so quickly, just praying this one is a sticky bean!!!

Just to add; I got my first BFP in my 3rd cycle after coming off the pill so I think me and my partner are quite fertile anyway, I’m not sure if it would be any different following the chemicals if we had been trying a long time before. But I have read that you are more fertile after a loss so fingers crossed!!

Please
or

pinkpirlie · 25/01/2023 18:59

I've had two CPs. My periods went back to normal right away. We tried straight away both times, but it took 5 cycles each time to get another positive.

I'm now 5+6 with my third positive which is the longest I have gone yet. Having private scan on Sunday to check for viability as I'm so anxious.

Please
or

allgoodthings84 · 25/01/2023 20:21

I’m sorry for your chemical it’s not nice

i had a chemical in October and treated it like a heavy period so tried again right away and got pregnant. Unfortunately it ended in another chemical in November. We tried again right away and I got pregnant again and am now nearly 10 weeks by the chemical but I know I ovulated 17dpo so more like 9.5 weeks. I had a private scan at the weekend and baby had a very strong heartbeat and was measuring what we expected.

The chemicals were hard to take, especially 2 in a row as made me think it won’t happen but it did and I’m just hoping it carries on going well.

Please
or

cgwx · 25/01/2023 22:32

@Houseelf90 @allgoodthings84 @pinkpirlie - so sorry for your losses. Its a hard pill to swallow isn’t it. I’m lucky i have two children already (even luckier to be able to say one of each!). The thing for me is, we weren’t even trying the first time… but i track my periods and log my sexual activity on my apple watch and so although we weren’t trying i realised there were a couple of dates in my fertility week. And so of course therefore knew there was a slight possibility, which ended up being the case but then few days later started spotting and then 2 days after that started heavy bleeding. Thats when i knew it was a chemical pregnancy. But although it wasn’t planned i then started to think about whether it was something we absolutely wanted and realised one more to complete the family.

for me i was just confused as to whether you log it as a normal period, as technically its the same time and a lot of women don’t know they’re pregnant with chemicals. Would my period tracker be right in telling me i’m due on / is it correct / accurate? Is my body a little different and off due to pervious pregnancy? Why did i have this really pink light spotting this morning and then nothing for the rest of the day? Is it too early to test? I’m trying hard not to test as they are super expensive so don’t want to waste the two Clear blues I do have. I feel like i want to wait at least a week or so and then test. Maybe i’m overly nervous.

OP posts:
Please
or

allgoodthings84 · 25/01/2023 22:43

@cgwx I have a daughter too with my ex husband but she’s 7 so I was younger then.

I counted it as my period after advice from a midwife. I ovulated a couple days later than usual and had a bit of spotting just before ovulation which I’ve only ever got after my 2 chemicals. Apart from that was all normal. I knew I was pregnant before AF was due the third time before I took a test.

Please
or

Houseelf90 · 25/01/2023 22:43

@cgwx I guess for you then; having the chemical has been a positive, although it’s a horrible thing to go through, you are now hoping to bring a 3rd child into this world 🥰

After my first, my period arrived 4 weeks to the day that I started bleeding with the chemical. I then got my BFP 26 days later; but then started bleeding 2 days after that. 25 days after that, I got my 3rd BFP (I hope you can follow all that)!
I think the advise is that your period should start again 4-6 weeks after the chemical, but it is very common to ovulate around 14 days after you start bleeding - which seems to be the case for my looking at the dates we DTD each month! My cycles previously were 26 days and it didn’t seem to throw my apps predictions too far off, but obviously I only know when my actual period arrived once within all this!

I really hope the spotting is implantation for you and you get a happy outcome! If your period should be due then a clear blue should pick it up!

Please
or

cgwx · 25/01/2023 22:55

@allgoodthings84 thankyou for this! I didn’t want to bother a professional to ask whether i should take me chemical pregnancy as a period. Knowing you had advice from a midwife to say you should log it as a period must have been so useful. It

OP posts:
Please
or

cgwx · 25/01/2023 23:03

@Houseelf90 thankyou for your reply!

this is true, it really made me think about what i wanted for sure. I actually thought i was done a year and a half ago i swore that was it.

That makes a lot of sense and shows a pattern for sure doesnt it!

True, but how soon after bleeding should you wait really? When i do the whole “when can i test?” on the clearblue website, i put my period date in and was getting i could test today. But i had that spotting so.

OP posts:
Please
or

cgwx · 27/01/2023 09:34

Just to update the post, took it this morning on second wee and this was the outcome. So just going to wait until mid feb and go from there.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?