My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Best all terrain travel system?

57 replies

Rose1111 · 20/01/2023 11:40

Due baby no.2 in June. Last pram I bought was 10 years ago, we just went into mothercare & picked one. Now there’s so many different options & certain issues with some etc. Just wondering what travel system people recommend. Will be using it to go shopping, on walks, to parks etc. I don’t drive so want one with durable tyres, good suspension & easy to push. I’m having a girl & was looking at the oyster 3 in lavender. There’s not a lot of coloured prams unless you want baby pink which I don’t but read people having loads of issues with it. Icandy lime or ocarro were other options I was looking at if anyone has either of them. Thanks.

-----

This thread is a little old now, but if you’ve landed here looking for a travel system, we’ve recently updated our best travel systems page with lots of great options, as tried and tested by Mumsnet users. We hope you find it useful. Flowers
MNHQ

OP posts:
SkyBlue20 · 20/01/2023 11:42

I have the Ocarro and have loved it but it is heavy and it is bulky, so that’s a consideration. Has been great though and huge basket space!

GoldenCagedBird · 20/01/2023 11:45

Anex e-type is stylish and wonderful across all terrains. I have really loved mine as a non driver.

However they are having supply issues as they are a Ukraine/Poland based business so when you buy the pram- buy all of the accessories you need there and then whilst they are in stock.

Caspianberg · 20/01/2023 11:50

The oyster 3 looks like a regular pram?

Usually for all terrain your looking at 3 wheelers with large wheels. Brands like mountain buggy, baby jogger, out and about, Thule, uppa baby ridge

MoserRothOrangeandAlmond · 20/01/2023 11:55

What kind of terrain are you going to be using it on? And how long your going to be using it for.
Also I would look at the weight limit for prams. I had no idea certain travel systems only go up to lower weights. Where as my travel system says it goes up to age of 4. I used my travel system until my child was 3.5. My friends child was too tall for her travel system by the age of 2.

MoserRothOrangeandAlmond · 20/01/2023 12:02

I had a silvercross pioneer which I don't think exists now but I'm keeping it incase I have another baby. It's classed as multi terrain like the oyster 3 but it's nothing like a baby jogger or mountain buggy I would class those more as a multi terrain.

Rose1111 · 20/01/2023 12:02

SkyBlue20 · 20/01/2023 11:42

I have the Ocarro and have loved it but it is heavy and it is bulky, so that’s a consideration. Has been great though and huge basket space!

The silver cross I had with my son was heavy & bulky & didn’t like it ended up selling it for something lighter so will maybe give that a miss, thank you.

OP posts:
Rose1111 · 20/01/2023 12:06

Caspianberg · 20/01/2023 11:50

The oyster 3 looks like a regular pram?

Usually for all terrain your looking at 3 wheelers with large wheels. Brands like mountain buggy, baby jogger, out and about, Thule, uppa baby ridge

It says it’s all terrain, same with the ocarro & they’re both 4 wheels. I had never even seen 3 wheeled prams since I started looking last year. I’ve seen loads of all terrain 4 wheeled prams.

OP posts:
beanburgersandchips · 20/01/2023 12:08

I did extensive research for an all terrain pram as we needed something that would go over all types of ground due to living out in the sticks. Settled on the Baby Jogger City Elite: it's incredible, folds easily and not too heavy whilst being all terrain. Definitely recommend, had a bugaboo with my previous and there is no comparison

BertieBotts · 20/01/2023 12:09

Uppababy is probably the only true terrain capable travel system, unless you want something like a Baby Jogger with carseat attachment, not usually what people think of as a travel system.

There is a difference between true all terrain vs terrain capable. And don't listen to the marketing, many brands splash the word terrain in their marketing, but it means nothing.

The Stroller Workshop on youtube is well worth checking out, they explain what to look for and how to choose a pushchair. Despite the name and the presenter's accent they are EU based.

BertieBotts · 20/01/2023 12:10

Useful video

BertieBotts · 20/01/2023 12:10

This is also helpful in explaining the different types

beanburgersandchips · 20/01/2023 12:10

Sorry OP didn't see you wanted a travel system. You can get the attachment I believe to put car seat on although I never have!

Caspianberg · 20/01/2023 12:11

@Rose1111 - well it can say all terrain, but generally all terrains you need large wheels.

If op just means all terrain to walk around local park, then it’s fine. But no way would that cope with unmade roads, woodland roots and snow or gravel which most ‘ terrain’ are designed for.

You won’t see all terrain in many basic baby shops like John Lewis as they sell mainly for normal path use. Although many have a bigger selection online. Ie I bought mountain buggy online from same Company didn’t have one in store due to ‘demand’

BertieBotts · 20/01/2023 12:11

A whole playlist about rough terrain https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNIuxDZP71WhCPMvYQP9Ylbp4LcPz-C5c

JenniferBarkley · 20/01/2023 12:15

If you want to go to the local park and the like, look at the Uppababy Vista (I'm a weakling and can still take it uphill through our local forest with a toddler).

If you're doing a lot of long walks over truly rough terrain, look at Mountain Buggy, Out n About, Baby Jogger.

Adore my Vista, still going strong and taking terrible abuse 4.5 years in. Never traded it in for a lightweight stroller (although we don't use it much with the car, tends to be one or the other).

Rose1111 · 20/01/2023 12:17

MoserRothOrangeandAlmond · 20/01/2023 11:55

What kind of terrain are you going to be using it on? And how long your going to be using it for.
Also I would look at the weight limit for prams. I had no idea certain travel systems only go up to lower weights. Where as my travel system says it goes up to age of 4. I used my travel system until my child was 3.5. My friends child was too tall for her travel system by the age of 2.

The walks we go on are mainly grass & gravel with maybe the odd tree root sticking out so nothing too extreme. Will maybe even use a sling for walks like that but as I walk everywhere I need something that can handle bumpy paths & kerbs etc. & will want to use it as long as possible up to age 4. I don’t want to have to buy a cheap stroller at the age of 2 like I did with my son just kept buying cheap buggies every 6 months

OP posts:
Twizbe · 20/01/2023 12:19

Uppa baby vista or Cruz. Amazing prams with massive baskets

Caspianberg · 20/01/2023 12:21

Generally something like the three wheels will last longer as the seat after carrycot mode is a sling type, rather than frame bucket type seat.

The baby jogger range would be worth looking at for you I think. The baby jogger gt might be off road enough for you. If not they do the summit and elite that are bigger wheels. All can have carrycot or car seat added.

a 10-12 inch wheel would be minimum size for easy woodland walks. 12-14 inch better if more off road.

Colour wise. You can always get plain black, then add footmuff, liner, etc in colours you prefer. That way you are less limited

Rose1111 · 20/01/2023 12:22

Caspianberg · 20/01/2023 12:11

@Rose1111 - well it can say all terrain, but generally all terrains you need large wheels.

If op just means all terrain to walk around local park, then it’s fine. But no way would that cope with unmade roads, woodland roots and snow or gravel which most ‘ terrain’ are designed for.

You won’t see all terrain in many basic baby shops like John Lewis as they sell mainly for normal path use. Although many have a bigger selection online. Ie I bought mountain buggy online from same Company didn’t have one in store due to ‘demand’

See I didn’t know that so thank you. So then I do want just a “regular” pram/travel system just one with better wheels that can handle me walking everywhere everyday. I’ll probably just use a sling for longer walks when my partners off work & can take us somewhere. I’m just thinking of bumpy paths, kerbs, hills etc.

OP posts:
Caspianberg · 20/01/2023 12:24

This website has a good range of more ‘terrain’ type if you want and idea of brands
www.pramworld.co.uk/prams-and-pushchairs/three-wheeled-pushchairs/

MoserRothOrangeandAlmond · 20/01/2023 12:41

Your probably best going into somewhere like John Lewis and testing the prams/push chairs to see if they're to heavy or bulky etc I found my pram/push chair really easy to push, baby was comfortable and I walked for miles each day. Other people think that my pram is too bulky for them and they prefer a stroller (which I find harder to manoeuvre)

Rose1111 · 20/01/2023 12:44

MoserRothOrangeandAlmond · 20/01/2023 12:41

Your probably best going into somewhere like John Lewis and testing the prams/push chairs to see if they're to heavy or bulky etc I found my pram/push chair really easy to push, baby was comfortable and I walked for miles each day. Other people think that my pram is too bulky for them and they prefer a stroller (which I find harder to manoeuvre)

Yeah I will do that. My mother in law is buying it so will probably go shopping with her & partner & i’m really indecisive & fussy so want to have a rough idea of what I want with maybe 3 options in mind before going as I know they’ll get frustrated with me lol.

OP posts:

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

EcoLife · 20/01/2023 16:09

Another vote for the uppababy vista! Mine is taken on walks and has handled muddy bumpy paths and the dreadful pavements in my town. I also don’t drive and find it is good for walking into town, can get it on the bus and train easily too. There is a Facebook group where you can get second hand ones for a really decent price and v2s (the new version) are starting to come round secondhand now

Hatscats · 20/01/2023 16:17

Out n about nipper. Bulky but good!

pampermouse · 20/01/2023 16:18

I've got an Oyster 3 and while it has its annoyances, terrain really wasn't one of them - for what you've described, I think it would be fine. We regularly take ours over grass and unmade country paths and it copes fine. Would definitely look carefully at the bassinet though, as the lid zips on and off, it seemed a lot faffier to get baby in and out than friends with other prams, and reattaching it was a pain. The hood also drove me absolutely spare in summer, as it doesn't go low enough to shied baby's eyes from the sun (I was SO envious of friends with bugaboos, which have a massive extendable hood), and I spent a small fortune on various shades and parasols for it. We've moved onto the seat bit now, which is loads better!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.