My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Tips on how to clean a pram for 2nd DC

18 replies

Dogt17 · 10/02/2022 12:11

Ok so I’ve left this really late. 2nd baby due in 5 days. I’m using the pram that I had with my DC1. I’ve already washed the car seat which was easy as everything fabric came off & could be washed in the machine. I’ve gone to wash the pram today and I can only detach the hood & the cover. How do I clean all the fabric on the inside/outside? I’ve bought a new mattress for it so don’t need to worry about that. I just want to know how to clean the parts that I can’t remove and put in the washing machine

OP posts:
Danikm151 · 10/02/2022 12:16

carpet & sofa cleaner spray :) and a scrubbing brush, use a toothbrush on the nooks and crannies. make sure you dry thoroughly.

Thatsplentyjack · 10/02/2022 12:18

I would get some sort of chemical free cleaner. I use method multi surface spray on prams (childminder) but that's not for newborn babies.
Is it actually dirty or do you just want to freshen it up a bit?

Lockdownbear · 10/02/2022 12:20

I took all the bits of mine that I could, and washed them in the machine.

The chassis I power washed.

So that left the fabric bits, like the hood that I couldn't remove and cleaned as best I could with carpet cleaner. Or liquid washing stuff.

Grinnypiggy · 10/02/2022 13:17

I put mine in the bath in lukewarm water, steeped it for a while, then scrubbed it with a brush.

Dogt17 · 10/02/2022 13:53

It is actually dirty luckily it just wants freshening up. It smells a bit fusty from being in storage for almost 4 years. I’ve added a scrubbing brush on my shopping that’s coming tomorrow. I was thinking of giving it a light scrub with some warm water & a little detergent. Or wondered if there was a homemade spray I could make to freshen it & spray on?

OP posts:
Dogt17 · 10/02/2022 13:53

It isn’t actually dirty*

OP posts:
Fleur405 · 10/02/2022 14:11

To start with I’d pop it out in the garden to give it a good air and then maybe use baking soda to get rid of any lingering odour? It’s often recommended to sprinkle baking soda on carpets and mattresses etc but I’m sure you could make a solution of it and spray it on, leave for a while and then wipe of with a damp cloth?

ivykaty44 · 10/02/2022 14:14

It smells a bit fusty from being in storage

by far the best way to get rid of the fusty smell is to put the pram outside in the back garden to air

then use detail spray, lightly over the pram, and leave outside during the day again and bring in during the night

a couple of afternoons outside should sort out the smell

ivykaty44 · 10/02/2022 14:15

if you have a place nearby you could hire a steam cleaner for getting any actual dirt removed

ivykaty44 · 10/02/2022 14:16

dettol spray, not detail

HDready · 10/02/2022 14:27

Which pram is it? You can almost guarantee that there will be a video on YouTube of someone washing the exact pram you have! People film themselves doing the strangest things Grin

Caspianberg · 10/02/2022 14:28

I would just use fairy washing up liquid and hot water. Wash it all down with scrubbing brush. Refresh water several times until non soapy and clean.

Leave outside in garden to dry and air

QueenLagertha · 10/02/2022 14:41

I have to do this for second DC due in April. I'll just be washing down with hot soapy water I wouldn't use any chemicals

ivykaty44 · 10/02/2022 21:46

the issue with fairy liquid, if you don't rinse it all out then it attracts the dirty really quickly

SmallElephants · 10/02/2022 21:50

I also wouldn’t use anything too strong. What about a very dilute bit of clothes washing powder in warm water?

mnahmnah · 10/02/2022 22:00

I’ve seen a pram cleaning service advertised near me. Try searching? Saves you a lot of hard work and it would get a professional clean. Should feel like new

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy · 10/02/2022 22:10

How would you clean most things?

Calm down and stop panicking.

Lostintranslatio · 11/02/2022 14:51

I would use a handheld stem cleaner.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.