My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Big Baby?

12 replies

EmLouiseCanada · 23/07/2020 23:54

I've had my third growth scan today; from about 28 weeks onwards I have been back and forth as my midwife has measured me small twice and then the scans keep measuring baby as big. She originally started in the 90th percentile at 28 weeks, got tested for GD, I don't have it so they left it. Got to 37 weeks and I got sent for another scan, who then recommended I see a consultant and have another glucose test done (low and behold that came back normal again). I saw the consultant exactly two weeks ago today; at the time baby was apparently measuring as 7lb7oz. She then suggested leaving me two weeks to my appointment today. I asked her realistically what the baby would weigh by this point and she gave me some non committal answer. They leave me two weeks and now baby is apparently weighing over 10lb. So they're essentially saying she's gained nearly 4lb in two weeks which I don't understand as I've eaten less.
When voicing to her that I've lost weight myself and I don't eat lots, I don't understand how baby is big, she tried saying she's been eating off of me. I was tempted to ask her eating off of what, I just said I've lost weight and I'm petite already! None of it makes sense. I'm questioning accurate this can all be...

OP posts:
mamansnet · 24/07/2020 00:17

I'm far from being an expert, but from what I hear, weight estimations are not all that accurate. Apparently mine is weighing 8lbs already at 36 weeks God help me but from what my friends have told me, the estimations for them varied massively from what the birthweight actually was. I wonder if height/length measurements might be a more accurate way of guessing size?

I've never worked out how they manage to estimate baby weight from a scan anyway, plus your own weight gain could also depend on your level of amniotic fluid. Hopefully a midwife will be along soon to explain it to us.

Do big babies run in your family? Apparently my MIL was 11lbs when she was born. Wish DH had told me that before getting me knocked up 😱

ChanklyBore · 24/07/2020 00:25

One of my babies was supposed to be small. At the scan, mutterings and vagueness abounded. The best I got was that baby “might be” under 6lb born and this was concerning, although everything else normal. This was used as a reason to avoid home birth, because the baby might be of a lower than average birth weight. They baby was born at home and was a very boringly average weight - 8lb 4oz. Another baby was supposed to be big. Bump wasn’t big but midwife described me as “all baby” - scan decided that birth weight would be a little over 10lb, or maybe not quite 10lb, but somewhere around there. Another average weight baby of 8lb 11oz.

So my 10lb baby was 7oz heavier than my 5lb baby.

Cupasoup76 · 24/07/2020 00:34

I was told my baby was big on growth scans, and everyone said that they’d been told the same thing and their baby was only 7lbs etc etc. Scans were correct, 1st baby was 10lbs and second was just under. I am one who trusts the growth scans!

whattodo2019 · 24/07/2020 01:12

My first baby was 10lb2oz. I too was terrified of giving birth as I was a slim size 12. However. I had a perfect water birth with no tears, no stitches. Strangely big babies can be easier to birth and they are a dream as they trend
To feed and sleep well too. I was also told they are v intelligent!!! My 14 yr old DD is like Einstein now!!!!

Stay calm and believe in yourself xxxx

EmLouiseCanada · 25/07/2020 00:24

Thanks for all your replies; I'm freaking out quite a bit about it. Lots of people keep saying "at least you know she's coming." No, no, that doesn't make it any easier. Now I know WHEN I'm going to be in pain.
I'm just baffled as to how she could be a big baby when I honestly don't eat a lot, I don't binge eat I'm quite healthy; I have the odd treat here and there naturally. I've lost weight myself in the first trimester and haven't gained anything back since. I have no swelling, I'm still very active, going on walks for over two hours long, still cleaning the house top to bottom with ease and can still run up and down the stairs no issues! I feel zero pressure down below and she's been head down since 28 weeks and my stomach has really dropped! Due on Sunday and I still don't waddle! Before getting pregnant I was a 10/12, so not a big size really.
I was born at 2.5 weeks early and I weighed 5:3; my midwife said I would have just about been 7lb full term. My husband we don't know as his mum bends the truth a little sometimes, but his dad seems to think he was of a normal size and that his mum is having us on saying he was massive. We have a picture of when he was a baby and he looks quite slim and petite so we're going from that.
No big babies that run in the family that I know of and I have no medical reason why she'd be bigger.

I'm also now reading through the induction leaflet and I wish I hadn't. My cervix is completely closed as had an examination yesterday and all of it is making me feel like it's not going to work and I'll ended up with a csection or assisted with forceps or whatever else, which is my worst nightmare!

OP posts:
Cantchooseaname · 25/07/2020 00:31

Growth scan showed 8lb 13 at 36 weeks. Born at 38 weighing 7lb 3. I had huge bump- but all fluid.
Induction wasn’t fun, I cried all of the last two weeks in fear.
It was fine. We made it through.
Try to relax- you sound fit and well, that is the main thing. Good luck!!!

EmLouiseCanada · 25/07/2020 00:36

@Cantchooseaname

Growth scan showed 8lb 13 at 36 weeks. Born at 38 weighing 7lb 3. I had huge bump- but all fluid.
Induction wasn’t fun, I cried all of the last two weeks in fear.
It was fine. We made it through.
Try to relax- you sound fit and well, that is the main thing. Good luck!!!

I'm loving your username! Smile thanks for the advice.

I feel like they're wrong. I've had so many people look at me and say there's no way I have a 10lb baby in me. I'm just so convinced they're wrong, but sometimes I just feel like it's wishful thinking.

My cervix is completely closed as had an examination yesterday so I'm really worried the induction isn't going to work and I'll need the csection after all, which will literally break me. I'm scared of hospitals anyway and anything surgical will just send me over the edge I think. I already had a meltdown to my husband today about it; I'm sure it will happen again before or on Sunday.
OP posts:
EKGEMS · 25/07/2020 00:36

Take a deep breath-it's natural to be anxious and jittery about the unknown but you will be fine as well as your sweet baby! Please let your midwife or doctor know about your fears and they can help you by talking it through.

EmLouiseCanada · 25/07/2020 00:39

@EKGEMS

Take a deep breath-it's natural to be anxious and jittery about the unknown but you will be fine as well as your sweet baby! Please let your midwife or doctor know about your fears and they can help you by talking it through.

Thank you! I'll definitely speak to the midwife once I'm there. The consultant I had I really didn't like, it felt like she was fobbing me off at every turn. I'm now just worried that it'll end up as a csection as she really made it sound like it's going to be that way regardless.
OP posts:
Cantchooseaname · 26/07/2020 08:30

I think the conclusion I came to was your baby has to come out. It has to. The last bit of pregnancy is really tough. It’s your thoughts getting to you, not reality. That’s not to dismiss it, but recognising that can help to disrupt them a bit. So when the panic “I can’t have c-section, it will break me” starts, can you consciously try to turn it into “I am a great mum. I can do whatever is best for me and my baby.”, or “c section means by mon this is over. I will be snuggling my baby”
You can do it. Women do it literally all over the world every day. It’s a terrifying process, but it has an end. Focus on getting through one minute, one hour- each chunk you manage is a chunk closer to snuggles.
Let yourself tell people how you feel- you are allowed to be scared.
Good luck!!

EmLouiseCanada · 04/08/2020 02:57

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. Turns out they were closer to being right as she was born 9lb1. Although by their estimates she should have been around 11lb by the time she came. She was four days late, by csection after a failed attempt at being induced. Given the choice (and hindsight is a wonderful thing) I'd have scrapped the induction and gone straight for the csection.

Thanks all Smile

OP posts:
Cantchooseaname · 04/08/2020 04:27

Ah- huge congratulations! Hope you are nigh well, enjoy those first snuggles!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.